Puppy becoming dog aggressive? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Junior Jouster

Post Puppy becoming dog aggressive?

I think my miniature schnauzer puppy might be becoming slightly dog aggressive. She is 4 months old and I take her to the dog park all the time, most of the time she just plays a little bit with the other dogs but mostly watches them. She has played with my brothers pitbull with no problem and I have never seen her growl at another dog or anything like that.

But this time I took her to the dog park and there was a passive pomeranian/poodle mix that came in. She got to running around with her and started growling as she was running like she wanted to take her down like prey. She never bit the other dog or anything severe like that. Sometimes she'll do it to me when we play chase too. I stop running and say no when she growls.

How do I reprimand her for doing this? Will she grow out of it or will it get out of control? Do you think I'm just worrying too much?

Mini Horse: Moose
Mini Donkey: Letty
Potbelly Pig: Bubbles
Nigerian Dwarf Goats: Tidy Whitey, Josie, Elroy
Miniature Schnauzer: Leelo
German Wirehaired Pointer: Cricket
Human: Katie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 11:51 PM

Growling isn't necessarily aggression, they growl when they play. So in your case I wouldn't worry about it.

If you would prefer your dog not to growl it's OK to stop play, that will be plenty. But never scold or punish a dog for growling, growling when not in play is them telling you they don't like something. If you punish them for growling, they'll switch to using biting to tell you they don't like something.

But again in your case, growling is probably just your dog having fun. Some dogs are more vocal than others.

Matt
doxienews.com
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 12:12 AM
Betta Bomb

I agree it's harmless, the pomm dog probably was made to be insecure and submissive through it's upbringing (probably some diva type owner) and therefore your puppy was excercising her puppy-like dominance??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 01:18 PM
Leo

I would suggest enrolling in a puppy obedience class where she can socialize in a controlled environment and be taught the proper way to play. Keep in mind that she's 4 months old and still very much a puppy and still in the biting attacking whatever moves phase, her behaving that way is normal and not what I would call dog aggressive (just a few weeks ago she was able to fight/play as rough as she wanted with her brothers & sisters). I think if you take her to training and keep working with her she will grow out of it. 5 months of age is when this behavior usually peeks, and most puppies usually get really naughty and start testing limits around this age. I would try to be enrolled in a class before she hits 5 months, the $ is totally worth it to have a dog that is a joy to be around and can be around other dogs.

Off topic a bit: I am trying my best to not reply to the above comment about the Pom owner being a Diva. I so want to comment and actually had something typed here replying to that comment, but I am choosing not to. But I am letting it be known that I wanted to comment. Perhaps I will make a post in the vent/rant section about it someday.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Junior Jouster

Thanks guys for all your help. I actually went to the dog park today and she did MUCH better. I think she might just get frustrated because she is tired. I also take her to puppy training classes, she is graduating tomorrow! I got her when she was 7 weeks old and she is about 19 now, so she hasn't been around her littermates in awhile. She comes when she is called and listens when i tell her to do anything, even in the dog park! She must have been having a bad day I guess... THANKS GUYS!

Mini Horse: Moose
Mini Donkey: Letty
Potbelly Pig: Bubbles
Nigerian Dwarf Goats: Tidy Whitey, Josie, Elroy
Miniature Schnauzer: Leelo
German Wirehaired Pointer: Cricket
Human: Katie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.