Puppy belly buttons ? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Puppy belly buttons ?

Simon, my GSD pup has a little buldge above his boy parts, it's round (almost the size of a peanut) and probably sticks about about a centimeter. The breeder told me it is where the umbilical cord was attached, so I call it his puppy button.

I don't remember ever seeing this on any other dog I have owned have you ever noticed something like that?

I almost feel as I have been watching him grow that it has grown along with him, when I expected it would get smaller. I am going to try and do some net research on it today because of course now I am getting worried.

My wonderful loves:
Emma, Xavier, SweetPea, Mr. Pickles, Mary Beth, Sheldon,Zena,Cadbury,Kapuah,Walter,Lou,Chip, Dilbert, Cartman, Gessepi,Miranda, Henry & Riker (my chins)/ Bunny, Little Cat,Clarissa (cats) , Lucy & Grace (Dappled Doxies) Simon (GSD puppy), Cookie (Australian Shepherd puppy), Captain Jack (cockatiel)
Bella Chinchillas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 02:52 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

That is indeed where the cord was attatched. If its raised that is normally a sign of an umbilical hernia. When he goes for his next shots make sure you point it out to your vet. Some cases are pretty severe and require surgery.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Thanks Chrisanne, I appreciate the info. I at least now know what to put in the search engine instead of Puppy buttons, lol. I was just sharing this info with my husband and then we had Simon come show us again and we agreed we want a vet to look at it. I know Simon was just at the vet about two weeks ago and didn't flag it but I think I need more reassurance.

My wonderful loves:
Emma, Xavier, SweetPea, Mr. Pickles, Mary Beth, Sheldon,Zena,Cadbury,Kapuah,Walter,Lou,Chip, Dilbert, Cartman, Gessepi,Miranda, Henry & Riker (my chins)/ Bunny, Little Cat,Clarissa (cats) , Lucy & Grace (Dappled Doxies) Simon (GSD puppy), Cookie (Australian Shepherd puppy), Captain Jack (cockatiel)
Bella Chinchillas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 03:13 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

Here's hoping the vet can give you a good report. A lot of vets when doing puppy litter vaccinations dont truly examine each puppy unless specifically asked.

Let us know what you find out.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 07:15 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

I agree with Chrisanne, best to have it checked if it's raised...my dogs have belly buttons that you can see, but when you run your hand across it, it's flat. If your puppy's is raised, have it checked out. I hope he's okay and it isn't herniated!

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at