puppy biting - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2004, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Question puppy biting

okay our new puppy now named polar bear who is pomeranian/ poodle we were told. he is 3.5 months old i know it is normal for pups to chew so he has lots of chew toys but the big problem is he keeps trying to bite. today he was laying with me on couch i got up and he bit my paints and ripped them. so i told him no and put him in his crate. im not sure what i should do to stop this.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2004, 10:56 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

Try teaching bite inhibition.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2004, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

thanks great info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2004, 11:13 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

You're welcome Good luck with your puppy!

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 06:05 PM

mine is a 13 week old beagle and she does the same thing. you can hardly touch her without getting bitten. and as im sure you know there teethare like razors. She was even leaving marks on my kids from this . what ive done now is I got a water bottel and when she does this I tell her no firmly and squirt her with it. it wont hurt her and it seems to work.
I also heard from another web site to try holding the puppy down on her back still until she calms down and pet her and tell her good girl ect. Believe it or not this works too. good luck
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 02:15 AM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by klburen
okay our new puppy now named polar bear who is pomeranian/ poodle we were told. he is 3.5 months old i know it is normal for pups to chew so he has lots of chew toys but the big problem is he keeps trying to bite. today he was laying with me on couch i got up and he bit my paints and ripped them. so i told him no and put him in his crate. im not sure what i should do to stop this.

thanks
You talking aggressive biting or play biting here?
My maltese puppy bites me all the time, it's normal.
Don't punish your puppy using the crate, either.
Try bitterapple also.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 03:02 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Roz that was great info.........All puppies bite, and as much as this may appear to be "normal" if it isn't controlled it can turn to be aweful as they grow older. A puppy needs to learn that biting for no reason at all isn't a good thing, and that if it continues w/out any control I wouldn't want to be around them when they are adults.
The article above is a great way to start

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 04:11 AM
Playful Pup

I have read and tried everything in that article before, no luck.
My puppy hears me scream and gets more excited and bites even harder, growling...playing of course.
He seems to love biting me on any loose skin, like under my bicep while I am holding his toy in the air and not giving it to him. Oh boy does that hurt. He latches on like a piece of meat.
If I just leave my finger or whatever part of me he is biting still, he will get bored and stop. He gets off on me being in pain and trying to resist him.

He has been calming down lately, which is a good thing.
My past Maltese did the same thing as a puppy, and he grew out of it fine, never once showed his teeth or bit when he was grown up.
When my puppy gets out of hand I just pick him up in the air, then lay him down on his back and tell him "no more"
I then go get a Bill Jack peanut butter treat (his fav) and play time is over.

That is my experience, anyway
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 04:32 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

We have had a few that just didn't respond well to proper behavior training either and so we used the technique that we used on our Ferrets back in the states, which is placing your thumb under their jaw while placing your fore finger in their mouth and holding down their tongue at the same time and telling them no bite and sometimes we would have to blow slightly at their nose. Believe it or not it worked.... I forgot to mention that above.

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 05:45 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Well ... I've mostly only had KITTENS who were biters, and when Galina and Gerona were in a "biting" phase first I tried not playing with them when they started biting. That didn't help. Then I tried saying "NO" in a mean voice. Nope, nothing there. So, finally, if they bit me hard, I growled at them at popped them (GENTLY) on the head.

I only had to do this to them a few times and only ONE time to Seamus for the problem to be fixed.

I think the key is more in the growling than the popping on the head. I've seen mother dogs and cats swat and growl at their children when they were misbehaving, and I think humans can do the same. But, like the mother dog or cat, cuddle and play with the baby afterwards to let him know you love him and will play with him as long as he doesn't BITE.

----------

And after reading the article Roz linked, I see they cover this in there. I find it's really THE most effective method I have ever used to get the biting to stop.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2004, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

our adult male cat has taken over as head huncho and is putting him in his place.

lori

wife to keith

mom to nicholas (8), andrew(6)

dogs kodiac, barker, gizmo

cat oddball, louie, cami
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 05:13 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Leave it to the kitties to let those pups know where they belong!

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 09:11 AM
Playful Pup

LOL! A cat/kitten can be an extremely useful tool! Sounds like you're doing all the right things. Last night, my date kept playing with Charlie, and more than once, Charlie tried to use his teeth (gently), but just the same, I told him 'no teeth' and stuck his chew toy in his mouth. He was quick to grab it, and then was told he was a good boy. There's still a lot of puppy in him. I was pleased he was so quick to do as I told him.

Kathy & Charlie

the only harm in not trying is failure before you begin...
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 08:07 PM

My mini doxie was biting all the time but i fixed that. He gives kisses all the time now.

Just insert a finger into the mouth and press firmly down on the tongue. Just for 3-4 seconds. Also say "no bite" while doing it. It might take a few days but it should work.

I don't mind the biting when we are playing because he's so excited, but i do say ouch and he knows that he bit me. Good Luck

Tags
chew toy, chew toys, male cat