Puppy Breeder Horror Story - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Puppy Breeder Horror Story

This is a warning to anyone would be puppy buyers! Please read this and research the web before buying any puppy from Debbie aka Debra Mitchell who runs a puppy mill by the name of Dixies Little Darlings. she lives in Opp, Alabama and she is a con artist and a scammer.

My 70 year old mother has always had her heart set on a tcup chihuahua but could not afford one as long as she was raising children. Trying to be a good daughter, I searched the internet for a puppy that she could love and spoil as a thank you to the best mom in the world. I happened upon pictures of a little male chihuahua that was advertised as a t cup chihuahua. He looked adorable so I showed the picture to my mom and she was instantly in love. At the time, I did not know much about t cups and what to look for in a good, quality breeder. I should have done my research FIRST. After meeting this woman and taking this puppy home we noticed that even though he seemed happy to have attention and to be played with, he was not interested in eating. We followed all of the instructions that the breeder gave us, the sugar water, sugar on the food, and karo syrup if he started to act like his blood sugar was dropping. We noticed his stool was full of tape worms as well.The very next morning we took him to a vet. The vet could not believe that there was a breeder so irresponsible as to let this puppy leave it's mother at ONLY 5 1/2 weeks old and said we should report her because she had listed his transfer date on his CKC registration as August 4th, NOT July 22nd which was the actual date that she sold him to us and the date she had listed in Kijiji as the date the litter was ready for their new homes (I still have a printed copy of the ad). However, at the time we were just interested in saving the puppy. We kept the puppy and hand fed him through a syringe and gave him Pedialite every 2 hours for another night. The next morning it was Sunday, he was better but we wanted him checked again. The emergency vet vet took one look at his over sized, bulbous head and said there was no way that this puppy was going to make it because he had been born with an over sized soft spot and he was getting water pressure on the brain. He too said that the puppy was much too young to have been sold and he was unhealthy. My mom and I were both in tears in his office and I asked if taking him back to the breeder would help the little guy that we had grown so attached to, by giving him some more time to nurse his mother until he was healthy enough for us to take home with us for the rest of whatever life he may have? The vet said it was worth a try. We met this awful person again and she took the dog but refused to give even part of our money back. I explained to her that we didn't even have to bring the puppy back, we were just trying to do what was best for him and that we wanted him back regardless when he was 10 weeks old because we loved him no matter what. I told her that she could give back 2/3rds of our money and keep the rest as a deposit on him, afterall, we had already spent over $200.00 in vet bills.We called and emailed every day to check on the little pup but each time we receveived answers that did not make sense, she lied and could not keep her story straight. Anyway, not only did we never see the puppy again (she claimed he died but actually sold him to another buyer) she put my mom through the heart break of telling her that her beloved puppy died a gruesome death and then accused us of doing something to him (after she had had him over a week before she claimed he died) and refused to return our deposit. To top it all off she cussed me on the phone, while I was shopping for school supplies at Target with my children of all things, told me I could "lick her a**" and then responded with "BOO HOO" when I told her how sad she had made my mother with everything she had done to us. I know there are bad people in this world but this woman is evil. That poor little puppy was ridden with tape worms when we got him and he was malnourished. I am publishing my story to help others do plenty of research and get a HEALTH CONTRACT when buying! I intend to sue but I also want to get my story out there so others can steer clear of Debra aka Debbie Mitchell and Dixies Little Darlings.

By the way, this is not sour grapes, I have documented emails and recorded telephone calls and affidavits from 2 different vets along with the original CKC papers to prove everything I have stated here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 12:47 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Oh my god that is horrible. That poor little pup. Can you actually sue her for this? Do you have enough proof? I hope so, that ***** needs to get caught. I searched for her on google, and all her puppies are so cute, I hope the same thing didn't happen to all of them. She looked like a nice lady, but after reading this, I'll be way more cautious of trusting people from now on.

Thank you for sharing, I hope everything works out.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 01:16 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Wow thats so disgusting. How could you do that to someone?? Poor pup RIP

Thanks for raising awareness!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

thanks for your support and advice

It is really sad but thanks for your comments and support. It helps to vent a bit. I think I will try to go through the Humane society next time and help my mom find her special dog.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 11:07 AM
Adolescent Pup

i feel so bad for all the dogs she is selling and all the peoples hearts that she is breaking. good luck looking for the right dog. i hope you find him/her soon and that he/she is healthy and you have no problems with him/her.

best wishes

~Sam-Woodmor~

My pets-

Jewel and Ruby

Merlin

Gotta Love Them

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Adolescent Pup

What a horrible woman...I am so sorry, you, your mother, and that poor puppy had to go through that ordeal.

But as future reference...NEVER buy any dog that has the word "teacup" in it's name. There is no such thing as a teacup dog.

As you have already experienced, "teacup" is a marketing scam that bad breeders use to sell their runty, underage, unhealthy puppies. Buying a normal chihuahua from a reputable breeder will be both healthier, and a better representation of the breed.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 10:04 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Teacup chihuahua's are an actual dog breed. I'm sure some breeders do try to sell the runty ones, but their are such things as teacup dogs.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 07:25 PM
Adolescent Pup

There is no recognized or registered teacup breeds by the akc or ukc...the term "teacup" is a scam...sure, puppies that fit into a teacup exist, but the breed "Teacup Chihuahua" does not exist.

http://www.famouschihuahua.com/chihu...hihuahua-scam/

http://www.barkrescue.net/teacup.htm

http://www.moonlightkennels.com/Articles/teacups.php
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

You may be able to take her to small claims court if you are in the United States. Some states do have laws about when puppies and kittens can be released from their mothers, so you may want to check on that. You could also try telling the local kennel club. In Oregon there is a group of dachshund breeders that look out for puppy mills and help them get shut down, so there could be something like that for chihuahuas in your area.

I'm so sorry to hear about this mess. I've heard so many similar stories, and it's really easy to get caught in a trap like that. You're doing the right thing though, tell everyone you can! Stories like this teach people to look out for bad breeders. I know how heartbreaking it can be. I'm sorry your family had to go through that.

When you're ready to look for another dog, try shelters. There are a lot of small dogs out there that need homes. Many places will have breed specific rescues that you can get in touch with. Another good resource is your vet. They can tell you what to look for in a good dog and the warning signs to be wary of. My vet has a bulletin board that he lets breeders post their puppies. Most of them are clients at his office, so he can tell people about them.

Another good resource is petfinder.com There could be a dog in a nearby city that is ready for adoption. Keep an open mind because there could be a small dog that isn't a chihuahua, but your mom may like just the same. Sometimes seeing and meeting the dog can change a person's mind on breed.

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 01:26 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
There is no recognized or registered teacup breeds by the akc or ukc...the term "teacup" is a scam...sure, puppies that fit into a teacup exist, but the breed "Teacup Chihuahua" does not exist.

http://www.famouschihuahua.com/chihu...hihuahua-scam/

http://www.barkrescue.net/teacup.htm

http://www.moonlightkennels.com/Articles/teacups.php
I did mistype. I meant teacup dogs aren't an actual breed, but many dogs are recognized as them. It's just a smaller family member [or in some cases badly bred X(

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 02:55 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

That was so terrible, some people are really sick. Poor pup...

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 11:03 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Teacup dogs are just toy breeds that are too small to fit in the toy class, you can't show them if they don't meet the size and weight requirements.

Another breed to look out for teacups is poodles their are no such thing as a teacup poodle, they have toy, mini, and standard poodle. Teacup poodles are either bred to be small by pairing small toys together to get a small toy or they are just poorly bred, be careful of any teacup dog breeder

[/CENTER]

Tags
bad breeder, tcup chihuahua pups