Puppy Buyer Beware! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Puppy Buyer Beware!

How to read a classified ad:

Here are a few that you should look out for:

"Champion lines"

"AKC Registration" or "AKC Papers"

"Extra-big" or "Extra-small"

"Rare"

"See both parents"

"Must go now!"

Click for details on why to avoid these ad lines

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 04:38 PM

great info... i love it. Thanks Jade.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 06:00 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

You've hit one of my "soap box buttons" with the AKC registration. The CKCS breeders fought for years to keep the breed from being AKC approved and being able to register them - just because the members of their organization had much more control over the breed than AKC does. I'm more pleased that my Cavaliers aren't AKC dogs.

The breeder I got Sasha from is an AKC breeder, but she is also an ethical person who cares about her bloodlines, temperment, etc. Knowing that I would never breed her I never bothered to register Sasha - she's just my baby!

You've made some very good points, Jade.

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 09:12 PM

It's the same with Border Collies. Those that are involved with them (breeding, competing, etc) have fought long and hard to keep Border Collies out of the eyes of the AKC, mainly because they want the emphasis on the working ability of the dog rather than how pretty it is. Most of the BC registration agencies won't accept AKC registered dogs into their program for this exact reason.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 09:53 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

Courtney, do you have a border collie? I worked with a dr who had BC's that she ran in trials and they were awesome to watch. One of her dogs didn't have the personality of a dial tone off the field, but put him in front of sheep and he was ON. I loved to watch them do their work.

CRITTERCALL

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 04:07 PM
bird

What does AKC mean?

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 05:14 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

American Kennel Club

CRITTERCALL

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 05:29 PM
bird

THANKS!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 07:40 PM
Erin

you can't go wrong with a mutt hehe

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 08:57 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

Sorry for the rather "terse" reply - I was on the phone at the time!

AKC sets the "standards" for all the breeds, and usually when a dog is AKC registered any and everybody can breed them and as long as they have that piece of registration paper they can call a St. Bernard/Doxie mix a St. Bernard 'cause that's what they want to sale it as.

Keeping the breeding more private, as the Cavalier people tried to do, allowed them to breed better dogs, keeping true to the original temperment, coat, etc. With AKC sanction, people aren't as cautious with what they breed - they are just out for the money.

My puppy mill CKCS has obvious differences from the one I got from a breeder in KY. She's a good dog, without a mean bone in her body, but her coat isn't nearly as full and luxurious and while my older one is on the too-tall side of the scale, Tibby is very small (and both are on diets!)

The Dalmation people were up in arms when 101 Dalmations came out, because this is a dog with enough problems without having every Tom, Dick and Harry trying to sale a dog that has sudden popularity because of the movie.

In the opinion of most breeders that I've talked to, AKC is the reason that we have so many snappy cocker spaniels, mean chows, etc. Have you ever seen a truly pure bred Irish Spaniel? They're beautiful dogs with long square snouts and a calm temperment. Not the skinny, squirrrely dogs that you normally see and associate with the breed name.

Sorry, I'll put up my soap box now.

And you are right, Erin, mutts do have their value - just watch out for what ingredients you have there!

CRITTERCALL

Last edited by Crittercall; 12-30-2002 at 09:00 PM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 10:37 PM

Arrow

It really upsets me when people sell you a dog and give you "papers" and are not ethical at all!!! My mini dashie has a major intestinal problem and the breeder won't return my phone calls or letters!! All I want to know is if this is a heredity problem! I love my mini--and I hate to see her not feel well!! I also hate it when people get so gung ho on buying a animal and keep it awhile and then they grow tired of the dog ( for example) and give it up!!! It really bites at me when they turn them over to the pound and we all know what happens there! I have a friend who bought into the whole dalmation craze and got 2 of them and breed them and then got rid of the whole family!! I researched Great Danes before I got one! They are a giant breed with giant needs! I really hated it when people who were not "dog people" would try and tell me about danes? HELLO! Do I look like an idiot? Anyways, I have major pet peeves with people who buy animals and don't care for them and for breeders who don't care about what they are selling!!! Beware of "backyard" breeders! They usually haven't researched the medical issues of the dog they are breeding! I will get off my soap box now!

:blob1:
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2002, 01:18 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

Thanks for jumping up there with me, Lulu!

Backyard breeders - we don't even want to get started on that!

One of the most vivid memories I have of the first clinic I worked in was a man (short - had that "short man syndrome" thing going on) who had a male doxie. It as a good looking, good tempered dog. He took good veterinary care of the dog, but everytime he was in he would talk about taking care of his "little money maker". GRRRR!

My shih tzu came from Lex because the breeder I bought her from had such good dogs. I would walk into an exam room and look at a shih tzu and say "That's one of Marilyn's dogs, isn't it?" The clients were always amazed but they are good looking dogs (for a dog with no face!) and have a wonderful temperment. And mine is definitely MY dog - sleeps with me, sits in the chair with me - but will also pay attention to my husband.

Okay, I'm off again!

CRITTERCALL

Tags
beautiful dogs, border collie, cocker spaniel, kennel club, puppy mill, pure bred, shih tzu, veterinary care