In mid may we bought a 6 week old golden retriever, the sweetest little girl ever. Long story short, she was with us for 7 days when she began to vomit and within 3 hours was in the emergency room where she was in liver failure. She tested negative for parvo and despite oxygen, antiobiotics, plasma and a very large vet bill she was put to sleep 24 hours after it all began. The vets thought it was a worm blockage and told us not to worry, that it would be safe to get another pup. We waited 6 weeks, and then brought home another puppy, from a different breeder some 400 miles away from the first. This time he was 8 weeks old and vet checked perfectly (as did the first) and 5 days after coming home he began to vomit, and again we went through the same ordeal. He made it 5 days before being put to rest. The vets at the emergency clinic (known all over for their excellent facility) were positive that it was mushroom poisoning. When they did the necropsy it showed that his liver was totally destroyed and whatever it was "had" to be some sort of toxin, and mushrooms are pretty much all we have around here. We didn't believe for a moment that 2 puppies who barely touched the ground outside long enough to pee could have both died with the same symtoms and have it be mushrooms.
Here is where it gets interesting....
Both tested negative for parvo, lepto, and hepatitis.
Our two other dogs who are 15 months and 2 years are fine.
**In the last 3 days two more puppies have come in with the same symptoms and died, both from different towns.**
This whole experience has been absolutely aweful and heartwrenching, but we just want to know what is causing it. The pathology dept. is now puzzled and is going back and comparing the biopsies from all of the puppies against one another. The vets are afraid that this might be a mutated strain of some virus.
Has anyone else heard of any puppies or dogs dying with symptoms like this?