a puppy down the line - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

a puppy down the line

i am hoping when im done with college i would love to get a puppy, the job that im majoring does a lot of at home work which is good. im really interested in a german sheapard, boxer, rottwiler, doberman, or a huskey. something good with kids (i know all dogs have the potentional of beeing good family dogs with the right owners and training). im not looking to get one tomorrow most likely 2 to 4 years down the line i just wanted some really good imput before i got a puppy. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 07:18 PM

I'll leave the Doberman to CTChin to tell you about. She knows Dobe's very well.

German Shepard would be my pick out of the breeds you listed, if its from a reputable breeder. They are loyal and loving. They are also very protective, and if properly bred non aggressive. Shepards don't tend to have wonderlust. However, they do require a good amount of grooming and they shed A LOT.

Husky's are beautiful and often very loving dogs. Husky's don't tendto have your typical dog odor, and that under coat helps keep them dry. They too require a lot of grooming and do shed. The biggest draw back to husky's is they have wonderlust. They NEED to be kept busy or they will find a way out of the yard and run.

Rottweilers are wonderful, again ONLY if bred by a reputable breeder. Its the back yard breeders that have caused them to have the aggressive reputation. They don't require as much grooming as the other two mentioned, but they do shed. They are the biggest of the breeds you have listed. A well bred Rott is a wonderful addition to your home as they are very loving.

Rotts and Shepards are at extreme risk of hip problems as well. You'll want to have parents of your pups be tested.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

ok thakns i'll keep that in mind... i love rott's, my grandfather and uncle had them the whole time i was growing up.

my dad knows alot about dobes he had one just before my mom and dad got married he was well trained my dad think si should get a dobe lol. hes dobe biased.

i love german sheapards, before we got lady we were thinking about training puppies to become see and eye's but my dad started noticing that i got attached to every animal that we came across so they thought against it... great orginsation but its hard just to give up a dog like that.

i jsut htink huskeys are beautiful i dont know a whole lot about them, my dog is half american escamo (sp) huskey. and she got out on quite a few occasions and it becomes a chace game. i know that game all to well is that the wonderlust you were talking about?

lol i also love newfoundlands but those dogs are huge and i know you have to have big space for that kind of dog and right out of college im not going to be able to for mansion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickiesmurf
i know that game all to well is that the wonderlust you were talking about?

lol i also love newfoundlands but those dogs are huge and i know you have to have big space for that kind of dog and right out of college im not going to be able to for mansion
Yeah, that's the basic idea of the wonderlust. Husky's are notorious for it.

Newfie's are absolutely WONDERFUL. A bit biased though I might say. Our newfie would have been happy in an apt as long as we walked him.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

and there good with kids (all those breeds)? i'll probably have a dog before a baby, but i have heard of people haveing to get rid of dogs because they were too "rough"
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 09:18 PM

I'm biased for Dobes LOL....but they're not for everyone. From pup to 2 years, they need a lot of exercise and training. Females tend to be a bit easier to manage.
Honestly, I think Dobes and Rotties are wonderful with THEIR kids. However, you have to be careful when neighborhood children come over and there is roughhousing. These two breeds may take it upon themselves to step in and "protect" their kids.

Any large breed can be too rough with toddlers. It's a tough call. If you have small kids and want to have a large breed, you have to understand that you have to provide lots of exercise and training for many of these working breeds or you WILL have a rambunctious pup on your hands.

I agree with Chrisanne. If you get a shepherd, get it from a reputable breeder!!! A skittish backyard bred shep can be a nightmare.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

what are good questions to ask a breeder, i found a GSD puppy thats sooo cute and i want it! never good to get into this when i know now would not be a good time to have a dog
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 06:45 AM

Check out the parents! Do you like their temperament? Have they had their elbows and hips x-rays and OFA approved? Keep in mind all pups are cute but most will eventually turn into their parents.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 09:40 AM

Definately find out if the parents are either OFA or PennHip certified. Also, ask to see pedigree's of the parents to make sure there isn't a bunch of inbreeding, or linebreeding. A pedigree will also show if they are show winners. Not just conformation shows either, a pedigree will list all their titles if they have any including the Canine Good Citizen.

Are the parents up to date on vaccinations, ask for proof.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Thanks you guys all this information is good to know. OK heres a dumb question for you whats linebreeding is that like inbreeding?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 09:59 AM

Boxers are nice I know they are not on the list but they are very good with kids...
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 10:08 AM

Linebreeding IMO is the same as inbreeding. However, in the world of breeders it is not the same.

An inbreeding would be father to daughter. Whereas a line breed would be like second uncle to neice. A line breed generally has a generation at the least between them. It is done to "enhance" the desired traits in that line. However, it can also ehance the negative as well.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

i was on the phone last night with scott and he likes the idea of a GSD lol. maybe this means that when he gets out of the navy we'll get in a relationship *happy dance* ok off topic. but i think im leaning more towards a rott or a GSD

i am also interested in a boxer i just dont know a lot about them
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 10:19 AM

They are very loyal and great with kids.
I remember when I was young there was a neighbours boxer and for some reason he prefered to stay with me. He used to follow me to school and sit outside our front door.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 12:21 PM

I think Boxers are a GREAT choice also. I love Rotts but you really need to be familiar with the breed. We had a rash of people come into the animal hospital last year with rott pups (must of been several litters around) and already 1/2 of them are growing unmanagable for the owners. You really have to know what you are doing.

On a side note: if you own house be sure your house insurance allows you to have the breeds you desire. With my insurance I can own anything but a rott or pit. I know...stupid isn't it? If I were to get one of these breeds and they even accidentally harm somone, I could lose my coverage.

Tags
animal hospital, family dog, german shepard, reputable breeder