Puppy Mills - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Angry Puppy Mills

I apologize in advance if this has been posted here before or if anyone takes offense. Each one of us only has a small voice, but if we all yell together, maybe we can make ourselves heard! This is a cross post.

In November 8th issue of People Magazine, there was an article beginning on page 127 entitled "Teen Titans". This article is about teenager entrepeneurs.

The site they mention is just one example of definition of what a puppymill can be. The "breeders" couldn't care less where these helpless puppies are going, or to whom or to what happens to them. The major priority in selling these dogs is simply to make money! There are over 70,000 dogs in pounds and shelters as we speak, and many of them are leftovers from these mills and back yard breeders, or are "teacups" or miniature dogs who have so many health problems that they are dumped off at shelters is just a tiny example as to why. To visit this website the url is http://www.cuddlypuppy.com. If you agree that being a broker for puppies encourages puppy mills and the breeding of puppies simply to make a buck, please go to http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/stop-puppymills. There are over 27,000 signatures as of now. I realize this is just one teenager trying to make a buck, but by him buying puppies from back yard breeders, it encourages others to raise dogs for profit as well. I've been to a puppy mill and the conditions are deplorable. Female dogs who spend their entire lives in cages and are bred at every heat just to produce puppies! As human beings we should be responsible and be the protectors of animals, not make money on their blood!

Also, I believe there is a link to send an e-mail directly to People Magazine.

This petition is to ask People Magazine to please allow an article to be put into their magazine about puppymills and rescue dogs, to try and educate people out there who need to be educated instead of advertising about a teenager and his mother making money off of making a irresponsible website to help these millers sell more pups and pocket a few dollars on the side for it. The November article showed nothing more than promotion of these types of Internet breeders who need to be shut down.

The petition is signed by women and men who are passionate about animal rescue. We are asking People Magazine to hear our voices and let them be heard through an article about rescues and puppymills.
~Kathy~

"The Animals' Savior"
Copyright Jim Willis 1999

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal. And I was angry. "God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment and then He spoke softly. "I have done something," He replied. I created You."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 09:59 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

There are a lot of people angry at this kid and I'm sure he'll be shut down soon. I hope this does raise awareness about puppy mills. Yeah sure many of the puppies end up in decent homes, but what about the poor breeding parents? They live miserable lives.

By the way, go to the "hybred" dog page. He has "mini-rotties" for sale It's hilarious! They're actually pekes crossed with mini pins. What dopes.

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 10:50 AM
Part of the Pack

I know how angry we can get about the different "puppy mills" people use the cheapest way to take care of and breed animals, so their profit could be so much more. I hope that it does raise awareness about puppy mills.

Many of the puppies coming from puppy mills do usually go to decent homes, but their quality of life might not be long. I had a friend who bought a dog, Febe, from a pet store. The puppy was the cutest little thing, but a month after they got it, she got sick and they brought her to the vet. They found that she had a disease that she probably got from her mom.

My friend went back to the pet store to find out where they got their dogs. He then searched to fiind someone to help him. They found out that the puppies mom was in a puppy mill and had died because she had been bred to much.

He was so upset, and ended up having to put the puppy down. This puppy was only 2 months old. They do not deserve to be born in horrible conditions, that is what puppy mills are, HORRIBLE.

But, he was able to bring to light the puppy mill and it ended up being shut down. One of us can only do so much, but many of us can do so much more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 02:49 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

7. In the event of death to the puppy, due to dehydration, starvation, malnutrition, or any other conditions related to the fragile nature of the puppy, Buyer agrees that no refund of purchase price or exchange of puppy will be forthcoming. Additionally, Buyer agrees to hold CuddlyPuppy harmless for such. You should have the following in your home at all times in case of an emergency.

- SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR TOY BREED PUPPIES, Cuddlypuppy.com
Excuse me? If that doesn't make people see that these animals WILL be in a bad condition, I don't know what would! I would think any dope would see that death by dehydration, starvation, and malnutrition is not because of the "fragile nature" of puppies but by LACK OF CARE from the breeder.

This honestly should be illegal. I wish I could knock that kid across the skull. And his parents (of all people) SHOULD NOT be allowing this.

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Angry

I agree with you! A responsible breeder would not turn over their puppies to be sold on the internet to persons unknown to them. They care nothing for their puppies, therefore they care nothing about the genetics of the puppies they breed. They are not interested in the improvement of any breed, they are just trying to make a quick buck at the expense of the lives of the innocent puppies! It breaks my heart.

The veterinarian that I worked for would donate his time caring for puppies sold at a local pet store. Every Wednesday at lunchtime he and I would go to the store and he would check out each puppy and we would have to bring back at least half of them to the clinic with illnesses and congental problems. We'd have to euthanize poms, yorkies, chihuahuas, rotties, dobermans...etc! They had open fontanels, hydrocephalus, heart mumurs, demodectic and sacrcoptic mange, blindness, giardia, coccidia and other internal parasites, They were suffering from external parasites such as fleas and ticks and ring worm..etc. Some of large breed puppies already had hip dysplasia so bad that they could not walk. The puppies had been raised in unsanitary conditions. The puppies who were treatable were treated and some recovered, those who had congental defects were euthanized. I can't even put in words how badly it hurts to hold an 8 week old puppy in your arms, while it receives an injection in a vein to kill it or how heart wrenching it is to look at a dozen cages and know that those puppies wagging their tails at you are going to be euthanized at the end of the day.

One of the girls I worked with actually hid a small black pom who had an open fontenal and was scheduled to be euthanized and took it home with her. I didn't want to euthanize this puppy and would have liked to have taken many home with me! I looked the other way and so did our boss. This dog had seizures that could not be controled and lived to be about a year old before it suddenly just died.

All these puppies died for one reason and one reason only and that is GREED! These puppies were bred to sell to pet stores for money! We, as humans would not allow people to conceive babies just for the purpose of selling them on the internet, so why is it legal to sell puppies in this way?

There is no point in even talking about the adult dogs and the conditions they have to live in at puppy mills! Your link depicts the conditions very well and I have even seen worse than that!

I am sorry if this was long, but the mention of pet stores and puppy mills really makes me angry because I have first hand knowledge of their treatment of animals.

"The Animals' Savior"

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal. And I was angry. "God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment and then He spoke softly. "I have done something," He replied. I created You."
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 12:00 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

You're kidding me? Just because they had a genetic defect they were euthanized? When I worked at a pet store about 80% of the toy breeds such as poms and chihihuas had open fontanels. Some closed, some didn't. Many lived normal lives. Some heart murmurs don't kill either. Veterinarians can be wrong also. We had one puppy that had badly bowed legs. The breeder refunded our money and we gave it away to a rescue thinking it would need surgery, according to the vet. Turns out the pup just needed more exercise and the legs straightened without surgery.

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

The pet store's policy was to euthanize any pup that might have to be returned to them because of a genetic defects. Was not the policy of the vet I worked for to euthanize them. He was only to give a diagnosis.

"The Animals' Savior"

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 12:17 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

That's outrageous! It had to of been a large chain pet store?

Brenda
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

It was a large chain store.

Did the pet store you worked for have a return policy on defective puppies or did they mark down the puppies with congintal defects and sold as "as is"? Did they tell the buyers of the pups with open fontenals to be extra careful and not allow the puppy to ever jump off the couch or bed because a minor blow to the head could result in instant death?

When a person buys a puppy (and pet stores usually charge very high prices for a puppy), the buyer expects to get years of love and affection from the dog, not have the dog expire before they have finished paying for the dog on their VISA card.

When these puppies were taken for their initial new puppy visits at their vet, I am sure the vet diagnosed congential defects and as their vet, I am sure he informed the new owners of the problems with the puppy and the potential problems, heartaches and expense that they could be faced with down the road.

When you pay $50.00 or $1,500.00 for a puppy, you expect that puppy to be in good physcial health, just as you don't want a brand new car to strand you on the expressway.

"The Animals' Savior"

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 01:02 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybird2
It was a large chain store.

Did the pet store you worked for have a return policy on defective puppies or did they mark down the puppies with congintal defects and sold as "as is"? Did they tell the buyers of the pups with open fontenals to be extra careful and not allow the puppy to ever jump off the couch or bed because a minor blow to the head could result in instant death?
It was a small mom and pop shop. We definitely told people about the fontenals and being careful and we even refused sales to families with small children. We found that what our vet told us was often true. Many of these puppies soft spots would close up almost all the way as the puppy matured.

The policy was that the puppy be brought to the vet within a certain amount of time. If ill, we would pay to make the pup well. If it was a congenital defect, we would get a refund from the breeder and refund the owner's money. Most opted to keep the puppy but could return it if they wanted too. There was no selling as is. We got a refund from the breeder and if the pup could still have a good quality of life or have surgery and be fixed, we worked hard to place them.

Brenda
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Unhappy

It's good that the puppies were placed into good and loving homes. I've wanted to take home many puppies regardless of their health problems. All puppies can't be cured of congenital defects and illnesses and the heartache and financial burdens are sometimes too great for many people to afford these "defective" puppies.

Many puppies that have open fontanels go on to suffer from seizures due to minor blows on the head or hydrocephalus. Puppies that have OFA, may live for many years, but in severe pain. They can't run and jump or play. Even with expensive surgery they develope arthritis and their quality of life is not what it should be. It is heartbreaking to see a 2 year old GSD, Great Dane, or Rottie that can't get up without a human to help them to their feet. They must lay in their own feces or their own urine until they can be helped to their feet. It is painful to have a dog euthanized that you love and expected to have with you for many more years. It even hurts to return a puppy to a pet store after you have had him over the weekend because your vet has advised you that he is blind. How do you explain to a child that his pet shop puppy has to be returned because it will never be able to see?

An ethical and reputable breeder knows what congental defects that their specific breed is likely to suffer from. They take advantage of veterinary medicine knowledge and test for these defects and they do not breed dogs that are likely to be carriers. They only breed the dogs that carry the desirable traits for their breed. Puppy mills breed any dog with any defect. All that matters to them is that bottom line and that bottom line is money.

When people buy that cute puppy from a pet store, they create a market for puppy mills. I can completely undestand wanting to buy that sweet little puppy in the pet shop window! It's not his fault that some unethical person bred him to be sold to a pet shop! I've gone in many pet stores and have fallen in love with many pups and I wish I could have taken them all home, but I know financially, I can't afford the medical care and surgeries they might require. The truth is, As long as there is a market for pet shop puppies there will be puppy mills and as long as there are puppy mills, dogs will endure pain and suffering.

Kathy

"The Animals' Savior"

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 03:09 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yup, that's exactly why I left the pet store business many years ago. I now work in a vet clinic and I love my job.

Brenda
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 03:18 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

What kind of problems does an open fontanel cause? How do you tell if a dog has one?

Because I was born in the South, I'm a Southerner. If I had been born in the North, the West or the Central Plains, I would be just a human being.
Clyde Edgerton
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 03:43 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I found this link that goes to the Chihuahua Club of America:

http://www.chihuahuaclubofamerica.com/molera.html

It makes me very sad because I don't think many of those puppies in that pet store greybird spoke of above should of necessarily been euthanized.

It's not the vet's fault but it just goes to show how ignorant pet store owner's are.

Brenda

Last edited by CTChin; 11-24-2004 at 03:46 PM.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Congenital hydrocephalus occurs in young puppies. Sporadic cases can occur in any breed, but it is most common in small and toy breeds. If hydrocephalus occurs in a puppy there is usually an abnormally large, dome shaped head. The fontanel (morula, "soft spot") on the top of the skull is usually abnormally large and can be felt. If hydrocephalus occurs after the skull has stopped growing, the head will not enlarge.

Hydrocephalus can cause a variety of neurologic signs, including seizures, incoordination, abnormal behavior, a tendency to walk in circles, and blindness. These signs may wax and wane or become worse over time. Diagnosis is based on the signs in conjunction with techniques to image the brain. In dogs with a fontanel, ultrasound can be performed by scanning through the fontanel to detect the excessive accumulation of fluid within the brain. Computed tomography (CT) and Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)are also useful.

Young dogs with mild signs may improve without treatment as they get older. Medication, such as corticosteroids, are sometimes helpful. In some cases, surgery is performed to implant a ventriculoperitoneal shunt. This is a device that transfers the excess fluid from within the brain to the abdomen, where it is absorbed.

WB Thomas D.V.M.
Dipl.ACVIM(Neurology)
University of Tennessee
Knoxville, TN

With the knowledgeable and ethical breeding practices, this can be prevented in toy breeds. It's horrible to watch a puppy have seizures and die from this congenital defect.

"The Animals' Savior"

Tags
animal rescue, breed dogs, hip dysplasia, local pet store, pet shop, pet store, pet stores, puppy mill, puppy mills, reputable breeder, vet clinic, veterinary medicine