Puppy peeing in her cage - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Question Puppy peeing in her cage

I have a 6 month old Jack Rat (Jack Russell Terrier mix) that I bought from a pet store on 1/3. She was about 13 weeks when we brought her home. Anyway she has been a great dog. The only problem is that I brought her to be fixed on 3/5 and ever since then she can not hold it (or chooses not to) for more than 4 hrs tops. She was holding it in her cage for 6 1/2 hrs for about 3 wks until I got her fixed. I am afraid if this goes on to much longer that she is going to think it's OK and never stop. I don't want, for her sake , a dog that has to spend the rest of it's days when we are not home in her cage. I don't think that's fair.
I took her to make sure she did not have a urinary infection and she doesn't.
She gets plenty of exercise, 2 walks, one for 20 minutes in the morning and one for 30 minutes in the evening. She gets something to chew on every night and PLENTY of attention. I don't have any kids so she is my first born. Her schedule has not changed, her cage is in the same spot.
The vet put her on Hormone pills. She says she has seen this before and sometimes it's so tramiatic to the dog that this is what happens. Hopefully that will help.
I am new to this site, I am trying everything I can think of but so far no progress.
HELP!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 03:57 PM

Hi! Congrats on your new pup. Sorry you're having problems, I've had my share of potty training problems.

Here is a link to some great articles: PT's Dog Articles

Be sure to check out the article: Crate Training Your Dog

Good luck with your new pup.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

I don't think I thanked you, sorry I have been very busy @ work lately.
I did read the articles. She is now on hormone pills becuase the vet think she might be lacking to much is why she might be peeing in her cage. Anyway, she has been good in her cage the past 4 days so we will see if this works.
Thanks again!!!!

Tags
crate training, jack russell, jack russell terrier, pet store, potty train, potty training, terrier mix