Puppy peeing inside. >< - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question Puppy peeing inside. ><

So I'm dogsitting for a family friend for the next two weeks. Since the puppy is not potty trained yet they did not want her staying at home; going all over the house; Or; being kenneled all day long. So anywho, I'm watching her, and trying to potty train her too. I'm more of a cat person, but I'm trying my hardest.
For awhile she was doing great; I would make her hit a bell on the bottom of the door whenever we were going outside to go potty; and give her a small piece of a dog treat when she would go; and i would praise, praise, praise. Also, when I bring her outside; and she doesn't go, I kennel her up for 10-15 minutes; and bring her out again; which worked before; but for some reason it isn't anymore. Now she is just acting up, I catch her in the act of going in the house; bring her outside; and she just tries to chew on everything. >< She continually poops in the same spot in the house, and it is just, irritating.
I've tried bringing newspaper outside; since that was what we used when she first arrived, and I just don't know what to do; Maybe those of you with more experience with dogs could give me some helpful advice. It would be greatly appreciated.

** Additional Info **
She is a youngin; obviously, lol. She is a shitzu-jack russel terrier mix. Her name is KoKo.
please help!!!

-kayleen- <3
Tigger Jersey Komet Pickle [my kitties]
Kaida
[crowntail betta]
Temperance [bearded dragon]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<- click to help me grow! :]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 03:42 PM
I am allergic to maths

Try cleaning the spot she poops in, spraying it with something that smells different then carry on with your treat and praise tactic
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 12:03 AM

The spot needs to be cleaned but NOT with regular cleaner you need something that counteracts pet smells. Regular cleaner, like 409, will cause a chemical reaction with the ammonia in the puppy waste and only encourage her to go there.

Since she's going in the house keep her on a leash with you, or in her crate at all times. Take her out to potty, to the same spot, every hour or two and give her a treat and lots of praise. If she doesn't go take her back inside and put her in her crate for 10-15 min or keep her at your side. Then try again. Don't let her free range the house because she'll find someplace to go. She needs to be under constant supervision or in her crate.

Remember puppies have small bladders so she will need to go out every hour or two and if you leave her in her crate for too long she will go in there because she just can't hold it anymore.

Tags
puppy training.