puppy prices - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

puppy prices

Hello all
I am looking to buy a Labrador Retriever pup as a family pet and was wondering what to expect to pay for one from a breeder in canada .I dont really care on the color and a mis-color would be fine with me as I would never train him as a show dog. Are there differnt prices for the three colors as well as a mis-color? What about a runt? Thanks in advance for any info you have on this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 10:04 AM

I don't have any information but what i do is google it. labrador retriever breeders in canada. Their sites will come up and you can check them for pricing. In my hunt for the perfect family pup, I have done it with like 3 breeds so far. Good luck!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 10:11 AM

I would do like Capn suggested. Google is wonderful.

The price is going to depend on the breeders, and the quality you want. You don't want a show dog that is great, but you still want quality health wise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

I have been googling for days but prices are hard to come by. I have emailed a few and am waiting to hear back from them, I am just trying to get a point of refernce on pricing , i guess i will do that by comparing their prices, thanks......
One just got back to me, 800 for choc,700 yellow and 600 for black.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 11:25 AM

good luck on your search
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 11:32 AM

If you're looking for a pet-quality lab, I'd like to suggest you get one from a rescue. Often times rescues have puppies as well as adults. Most rescues will also spay/neuter and update vaccinations prior to adopting and you can get them for less than half the price you'll pay a breeder. Do a search on www.petfinder.com to see who might be available in your area. The best part about getting any dog from a rescue is that usually the dogs are kept in foster homes so the rescue can give you a lot of details regarding tempermant and likes/dislikes which will give you the best opportunity to find the "perfect" dog for you! Good luck!!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 04:12 PM

A breeder that I got my dog from here in the midwest sells labradors for 500 bucks American. If I remember right...that would be around 650 canadian dollars.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 09:04 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Try going to puppyfind.com Just a warning, that site is VERY addictive. I could look at adorable puppies for hours.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-29-2004, 10:36 AM

I agree with the rescue suggestion. I check the MB, SK, and AB list on petfinder daily, as I'm trying to wear hubby down for puppy #3!! There are a TON of lab pups out there, and if your not looking for a show dog, it feels great to give one a good home! I was absolutely set on getting a purebred boxer pup initially, but once I got on the rescue sites and saw how many wonderful dogs people just threw away, my mind changed immediately! Now, my breed of choice is lab mutts that some other stupid human decided wasn't good enough for them! A friend got a purebred choc lab from SK and I think they paid $900, and I've heard $600-$800 for black or golden. Good luck, whichever way you decide to go.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-29-2004, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch
One just got back to me, 800 for choc,700 yellow and 600 for black.
Those prices sound about right to me (in general). Good luck in your search... I know how long it can take, but it's worth it in the end!!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-29-2004, 06:34 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I wish you the best! Rescue can be a great way to get a great family pooch and there are plenty of labs.

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 08:57 PM

Wow...that much for a labrador retriever pup????? The ones around here in north Alabama sell for 200-400 with registration papers. If I were you I would definitely look into the rescue thing though. Those puppies need our help.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 09:44 PM

200-400 with registration papers

That sounds like a red flag to me, be careful if you do buy from a breeder, make sure they are reputable and you can see the mom/dad and housing arrangements of all dogs on the property. If the breeder is reluctant to show you around chances are good they are hiding something. Puppy mills are horrible places where dogs are neglected and used as breeding machines their entire life (this is where my Lady came from). Usually none of the dogs see a vet and are not socialized at all, and the puppies coming from the mills are not in good health, but they will sell you puppies at a reasonable rate and they will be "registered." Just a warning, if you do go through a breeder, know what to look for before getting yourself in a financial strain and heartache.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 12:15 PM

The breeder I am thinking of hunts with his dogs. He only raises a few litters a year from a few moms, and he's happy to let you see his dogs. Maybe he just doesn't know how much most people sell their pups for. He's an old guy. But I do know about puppy mills. They are horrible. There is actually a lady near here who raises like 4 different toy breeds and all crosses in between and sells them for outrageous prices unregistered and half the people I know who got one of her pups had their pups die within a month. I would have reported her before now, but our area lacks a good ASPCA or humane society. We have "animal shelters" and "animal control officers" but I am really afraid to contact them because most of the animals they pick up are put down and they are only up for adoption for like 3 days, but most of the time not at all.

Last edited by Ilovesmepets; 08-02-2004 at 12:18 PM. Reason: I messed somethin up...
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 10:24 AM

I just had a great experience using puppyfind.com I guess it could go either way, but I really lucked out and got a great deal. Beautiful dog (cream colored Golden Retriever, which from my experience in looking, the lighter you go the more $ they are), very reasonable prices, and an excellent breeder. I spoke with the breeder on the phone for 1/2 hour and decided the 3hr drive was well worth it. I found in my search that the prices ranged from $300 to ...are you ready for this??....$4000. Take your time, and good luck with your search!

Tags
animal control, animal control officer, animal shelter, animal shelters, golden retriever, humane society, labrador retriever, puppy mill, puppy mills