Puppy, Rabbit, and beagle help please - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Puppy, Rabbit, and beagle help please

I was wondering some things about dogs and how long you have to feed a puppy puppy chow and things along the lines of any training tips for a beagle to stay in his home yard without building a fence or useing an electric collar/fence and my friends rabbit likes to "play dead" and stay still when u walk in the room but my friend said he used to hop up and come to the door.....the vet said nothing was wrong..any ideas? could he be deaf?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 10:17 AM

I'm going to number your questions, just to make it easier for me to organize my thoughts.

1. Puppy chow: It depends on the breed. I'm assuming the puppy is a beagle, based on your second question? He should be on puppy food until he's about a year old. Large breed dogs need puppy food longer because they continue to grow bigger longer than small/medium breeds do, but the "standard" for non-large breed dogs is about a year. Though I will admit that we switched my corgi to adult food when he was 9 months old. He ate like a bird until he was about 6 months old, then all of a sudden, he was mister hungry mouth. Went from being average weight to slightly overweight very quickly. We wanted to get the extra weight off of him as soon as possible so that he didn't suffer any adverse affects or continue to be overweight. Because puppies grow so much and are generally so active (my corgi was a lazy puppy-part of why he gained weight when he started eating more), puppy food is much higher in protein/etc than adult food. My corgi didn't need the "extra" in the puppy food, so we switched him to adult food. A few months later, we switched him to lite adult food. He's now three years old and average weight.

2. Honestly, I would be very surprised if you could get him to stay in his hard with no type of fencing (electronic or physical). Some dogs are very much homebodies. But beagles are hunting dogs/hounds. They are bred to follow their noses... I honestly wouldn't trust one to stay in the yard without fencing. Too much of a chance that they will get distracted by a squirrel or a scent and take off running. Maybe someone else will have better advice. The only one of our dogs that I will let out of the house without a leash (unless we are just going from the door to the car) is Tucker, my lab. We adopted him at a year and a half old. My mom nicknamed him Old Faithful. We didn't train him to stay in our tiny yard... he just naturally wants to be with his family. So when we go potty at bedtime, he is allowed off the porch without a leash because I know that he will go down the steps, pee in the front yard, and come right back as soon as he is done. It's just his personality.

3. The first thing that came to my mind is that he is acting scared... I wonder if something happened one time that has him scared when he hears the noise of someone walking into the room. I'm not really sure.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for helping me and i will have to check the rabbit thing out...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 01:19 PM
RAT ADDICT

I can tell you one thing,you will not get a beagle to stay put in a backyard without a fence.Trust me,I know the breed.I have been around them for years.Beagles are hunting dogs - scenthounds.Once they get on a trail of something,thats it.They will follow their noses.So you will have to build a fence or just not let him off leash in the back - or anywhere else for that matter.Beagles should never be let off leash in open,busy areas.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

ok thanks but he sees me as an alpha so would that affect anything??
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 06:22 PM
RAT ADDICT

No,you being alpha is important.You don't want him to learn and think that he is the alpha or you will have problems in the future.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help everyone but now th rabbit is ok...He go t a new home with out children and is better...The kids would pull his little ears and the puppy is ok and so is the beagle

Tags
breed dogs, puppy food