Puppy Update! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Puppy Update!

Lady's puppies will be exactly 3 weeks old tomorrow. It sure seems like they're older than that already.

The puppies opened their eyes when they were 13 days old. They are beginning to hold up their weight and are moving around, but they are still VERY wobbly! They got their first nail trim Sunday.

Lady's definitely a candidate for mother of the year award! Her pups all weighed over 1 pound by 2 weeks. I'll weigh them again this Friday.

It's been tough being so far away, but I do visit them regularly. I miss Lady more than anything. She's come a very long way in her own socialization since the birth of these pups. She knows me and is eager to run up to me when she hears/sees me. She's doing what I call her "happy dance" (shifting her weight back and forth on her front legs) and actually guides me into the bedroom to show me her puppies every visit! It's precious and she means the world to me.

It still takes a little while until she'll let me pet her, but when she does come up she'll quickly kiss my hand and let me rub her chin and that's a HUGE accomplishment for her. I knew she would get to this point, but never thought it would happen so quickly.

She doesn't have that sad look in her big brown eyes anymore. It's like I can see right into her soul when I look into them and her heart is just spilling over with love, love and trust. She knows she's safe now. Every time I see her and see how happy she is, I just get so overwhelmed with emotions, that I'm just speechless.

I am soooo counting down the weeks until I can bring her and Moxie home!

Here are updated pics!

Lady's sweet face!

Puppies on June 17:
Moxie

Paiseley (aka Piggy - she's the biggest now by almost 3 ounces)

Boozer

Chalupa

...more pics comin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 10:07 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

I adore Chalupa and Boozer *squeal!* What precious little angels!

Thanks for the update

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Here is Moxie at 13 days old with both her eyes open! She was the first to open them:

Here's Moxie again and some of the rescue girls checking her out!

Mom and puppies graduated to a big kennel now!

~Chalupa, Lady, Moxie, Paiseley & Boozer~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 10:13 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

awww what adorable babies

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 10:27 PM
Playful Pup

awe i love chalupa!
love,
shannon
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 10:28 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

They're all so adorable. I'm glad everything is going well with her.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 02:22 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

oh man! i want one!!! they are all so adorable! congrats on lady's socialization!

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 02:36 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Awwww. Those little chis are just precious. And just so tiny!

They really are darling, and congratulations on having healthy, well-fed little babies!

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 11:06 AM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Oh, what sweet pups!

I'm glad to hear everything is going well. Before you know it, she'll be home with you!

~ Jodi ~

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 10:19 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Aww! They are little cuties!

Rhonda

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 10:34 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Awwww, they're so cuuuuute!!!!!!! We must obey the puppies! Do not resist the cuteness! Resistance is futile! The puppies are king!

Just kidding, they are soooo cute though!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 02:08 AM
Next Member of the Booger Clan

Oh my gosh they're ADORABLE!

Aww I want one

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

~Nikki and Sandy~

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Well the pups are now 5.5 weeks old! I got to bring them "home" to foster through the rest of the time they will be with Lady until they are ready to go to their permanent homes. It's been a very hectic but incredibly rewarding week!

They are all actively seeking out the papers in their room to go potty on, so they should definitely be papertrained before they go to their homes. They are already keeping their kennel clean throughout the night and as soon as I get them out in the morning they all head straight for the papers... it's so cute!

We are starting to wean them from Lady and they are all doing a great job of eating on either own! They have all their teeth. Their ears are starting to stand up and probably will be within this next week.

Chalupa alerts everyone when I come in the room. He's a little barker and even growls... LOL but he'll come up to me with his tail wagging and greets me with kisses... such a vicious boy!

They love chasing and wrestling with each other and love playing with toys. I've taught them all how to give kisses on the lips by kissing their noses and continuing to make a kissing sound and now they will kiss me when they hear that sound. Lady's been watching us doing this and now when she sees the pups all giving kisses, she even comes up to give me kisses herself! The puppies are also showing her how fun toys can be and she's been trying to play too. It's so amazing it brings me to tears.. just because it's taken Lady 6 years to get her own chance to be a "puppy" too.

The puppies are all extremely friendly and not shy at all. We were afraid Lady would teach them to be scared, but the opposite has happened.. they are actually teaching Lady that people are wonderful and give you lots of love and food! LOL

They are now starting to roll over too.

We did get a little set back this week though. Lady wasn't acting quite herself for a couple of days and the vet was a bit alarmed when she took a look at her urine sample. We thought she might have a UTI because she was expelling a little blood, but it turns out she was most likely in heat. The vet said it was extremely unusual for her to be in heat this soon, but considering her life in a puppymill, she didn't think it was unusual that Lady's system is just really messed up! Anyway, the urine results triggered some red flags and the vet thinks she does have some type of endocrine problem going on that will need to be further examined once the pups are weaned. She suspects Cushing's disease or diabetes or something along those lines. Most likely nothing life-threatening at all, but just something we need to figure out as soon as we can. She will definitely need extensive blood work done before they will considering spaying her.

I have new pictures!!

Boozer & Chalupa

Chalupa & Moxie

Moxie

Moxie & Lady

Paiseley

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Boozer

Chalupa tearing up their potty papers... the boys started this and now have taught Paiseley and she runs off with papers and/or pee pads dragging them all across the room!

The black & white trio:

Momma Of The Year... Little Lady. We celebrated her birthday this week!

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 02:59 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Awwwwww! What a good momma Lady, so sweet, wonderful pictures, I know you miss her tons!

*Brandy*

|
|
|