Puppy Wont Eat - Page 3 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 10:44 AM
Newborn Pup

I have the same problem with my new Puppy she only 8wks. She want eat and someone told me to try a little Yogurt and take it away little by little. Is this a good idea?.

But, I will let you know if it works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 11:34 AM
Playful Pup

If it is a large breed puppy, yogurt is a stupid idea. Most puppy chows have close to the maximum amount of calcium to avoid joint damage. Adding yogurt, milk, or any other rich source of calcium can wreck their joints. Don't do it. Ignore any other advice from that source.

New puppies may take a little while to adjust, but soon should be eating all they need. Over fed puppies may not eat well either. The solution isn't bribing them to eat more than they need. Over weight is hard on any dog, but another way of creating joint problems in large breeds.
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 08:02 AM
Newborn Pup

Thank you. I guess I have to have patience, I just dont want her to get sick if she's not eating it's been 3 days the only thing thats not making me insane is she's drinking lots. Should I try soft puppy food the other owner of the puppy did. I just heard that its not good either. Thanks for the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 08:22 AM
Playful Pup

No just stick to the dry kibble. After 3 days, it may be time to talk to the vet, more so if she is on the thin side.
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by karyn View Post
Thank you. I guess I have to have patience, I just dont want her to get sick if she's not eating it's been 3 days the only thing thats not making me insane is she's drinking lots. Should I try soft puppy food the other owner of the puppy did. I just heard that its not good either. Thanks for the advice.
You could add some water to the food to make it soft . That's helped with my foster puppies and you wouldn't be changing the food itself. Another option would be to feed the wet version of whatever brand you're feeding. It'll be almost the same but with more moisture (and often less fillers so she'll get more nutrition if eating a small amount). I do agree that a vet should be called if she's really not eating. Where did you get her?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 09:11 AM
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
You could add some water to the food to make it soft . That's helped with my foster puppies and you wouldn't be changing the food itself. Another option would be to feed the wet version of whatever brand you're feeding. It'll be almost the same but with more moisture (and often less fillers so she'll get more nutrition if eating a small amount). I do agree that a vet should be called if she's really not eating. Where did you get her?
I also use similar method for my pups when they weren't eating at first. Sometimes you have to gradually build up their appetite for food when they're real young.
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 11:47 PM
Newborn Pup

Hope your pup is doing ok!

Last edited by Sasami; 06-21-2012 at 02:01 AM. Reason: removed ad

Tags
canned food, dog food, dry dog food, dry food, puppy food, wet food