Puppy Wont Eat - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Puppy Wont Eat

I need some help getting my puppy to eat. He's 13 weeks old now and barely eats anything. We've tried a few different brands of food (dry and caned) and even tried to get him to eat "people" food but he just doesn't eat. Do you think he needs to see the vet?

He used to be an eating machine and now we're lucky if he'll eat one meals worth a day. He used to really like hotdogs (I left hotdogs too low one day and he devoured 4 of them in less then 5 seconds). So I figured out he like hotdogs, but now he wont even eat those. I know it's not the best for dogs, but I figured something was better then nothing. Any suggestions? The canned foods say he should eat 4 a day according to his weight but he eats one if we're lucky. It's about the same with the dry dog foods.

Should I just keep trying different brands of food or should I take him to get checked out or what?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated because I'm starting to worry. At first I just thought he was thin because he had recently sprouted up (making him less round) but he's not eating eitehr now...

~Meg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 10:02 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

Definately get him checked out by a vet. It could be nothing, but it could be bad.

Don't switch back and forth feeds like that if you can help it. It tends to upset their stomach. Any food switch should be gradual. Maybe try some cooked white rice with some boiled chicken. It is bland, but helps upset tummy's. I'd definately see a vet though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 11:03 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'd call a vet tomorrow morning. Especially considering him looking thin.

Stephanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 01:52 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

When my puppy who was a good eater b4 stopped eating like that it was coz he had swallowed a champagne cork so best to take him vet. Puppies can swallow anything

My handsome Prince

Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 07:44 AM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

Have you watched your puppy while he tries to eat?A breeder gave me a puppy who wouldn't eat much and was very skinny.I watched her and she was having problems swallowing.I took her to my vet and he explained that what I saw and he examined her and diagnotised her with Puppy Strangles.Large doses of Prednisone was given and an antibiotic I believe.
Article

Last edited by Runt; 05-03-2005 at 07:52 AM.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 07:50 AM

He needs to see a vet ASAP.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 08:05 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Echoing everyone else here, take him to a vet ASAP!

Something could be seriously wrong and it is better to be safe than sorry.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I made an appointment with the vet. I haven't noticed any problems with his eating but I've noticed that he'll eat the food out of my hand just not out of his bowl. Is this normal? I thought maybe it was because my hand was elevated but he still wouldn't eat out of an elevated bowl. He's still not eating a lot, but it's more then he's been eating lately.

Thanks for the advice!

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 03:12 PM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

I hope your puppy is feelng better. Keep us posted.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 05:04 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

Some puppies will try to get you to spoil them. If at all possible try not to feed him out of your hand. That can, but doesn't always, lead to them thinking its ok to take any food out of your hand later in life.

Maybe his bowl is elevated to high for him? Did you switch his feed recently? He may not like the food he's eating. In which case i'd suggest mixing in the boiled chicken or chicken baby food. It will help entice him to eat.

Please let us know what the vet says.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 09:20 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Just a thought...What kind of bowl does he have? I know that plastic bowls and crocks can sometimes hold in smells and that my dog won't eat out of her bowl when it's dirty. Try washing the bowl. Maybe that will help some, but I would still take him to the vet.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I'll try washing the bowls tonite. Thanks!

I couldn't get an appointment until next weekend, so it might be a little while before I give an update. But he (the puppy) did manage to aquire the box of puppy bones when his daddy was supposed to be watching him and he ate quite a few before being spotted, so I'm less worried now since he is eating but I still want to get it checked out with the vet.

post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 12:27 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

what kind of foods have you tried?

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 12:39 AM
I'll name him Squishy!!

I hope Crunch is OK!! I really hope that you get that figured out soon!! Let me know what the vet says as soon as you find out!!

I've been frosted!

Interested in Photography or Art? Want to show off your pictures or artwork? Please join the

post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 01:22 AM
Naked Dog Mom

Ein was very fussy when he was a puppy and only ate one meal a day (and it took him all day of picking at it to eat it). Ever since the day he came back from getting neutered, he's had a major "starving puppy" act and wants to eat constantly.

But if your guy USED to eat and doesn't anymore, I'd get him checked out, just be to sure nothing is wrong that is causing his recent lack of appetite. Adding the "lil bits" Greenies or rice krispies to the top of his dish sometimes helped Ein to eat when he was being fussy, but not always. Also, adding the least little bit of water to dry food made him happy. Just enough to soften it and moisten it. But if your pup won't eat wet food, then that may not work. I'd give the Greenies a try, though. I've heard tons of people say that their dogs were addicted to Greenies.

Momma to three pups:

Ein, Pembroke Welsh Corgi (black headed tri) born 7/12/2004
Tucker, golden colored lab mix, rescue - est dob fall 2004
Colleen rough collie (sable and white), rescue - est dob: 2003-2004

Tags
canned food, dog food, dry dog food, dry food, puppy food, wet food