Puzzled - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Puzzled

Puzzled

Hi all and thanks for the warm welcome. The problem I am having is that my Bailey started limping last Friday and my husband checked his paw and found nothing, still limping on Saturday he check it again to see that one of his toe nails was very senstive and quite long, so he decide to trim it up only when he went to trim it Bailey jumped and he cut it to close and we could not stop the bleeding with anything we tried so we took him to the ER and they did and told us to follow up with our vet in 2-3 days. On Tuesday we took the bandage off like instructed only to find his toe swollen and red. Made the appointment at the vet too but couldn't get in till Friday so we thought we would watch it. On Friday when my husband had him in the examination room at the vets this area started bleeding again. The vet told him she didn't like what she saw and that he would have to have his toe amputated and that he could have cancer!!!! Then she proceed to take bloodwork, cleaned up his foot and said on Wed they would Xray the foot and if they saw anything they didn't like they would do more Xrays (chest) before amputation takes place. WOW what a blow!!
My problem is that how can one tell all of that by just looking, with no bloodwork done, if we hadn't clipped his nail to short would he be ok now? Never even tried antibodic?? He is a house dog and is other than having hypothyroidism he is very healthy.
Have a second opinion appointment on Tues.

I just wondered if anyone ever heard of something like this or had it happen to them and what the outcome was?? Any thoughts anyone????

Thanks for listening, Patti
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 04:57 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I don't have any experience with what you're going through but I think it's very smart to get a second opinion. Let us know what happens and good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 07:45 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I would definitely get a second opinion. I had a VERY bad experience with Banifield Pet Hospital in Petsmart that involved a "vet" not looking at all the information and doing things that didn't need to be done.

I was at the pet hospital waiting to have my (now former) foster dog's nails clipped and for him to be given vaccinations. Well he was really scared so I put him in a crate. He was neglicted so his nails were terribly long and curling. Somehow he managed to crack a nail in the crate while we were waiting (an hour wait) at this pet hospital. I took him out and saw his foot was bleeding and had to beg for them to even give me gauze to stop the bleeding. The morons didn't even offer stypic powder and didn't look at the nail. Meanwhile I stopped the bleeding myself.

So then we finally get to be seen by the vet. She takes one look at his nail (not a very close one, mind you) and starts acting all worried. She says that he cracked it so bad that she will have to take out the nail completely. I couldn't tell what was broken off because I had a cowering dog in my lap and it's hard to look while the dog is clinging to me. I thought all vets would do what was best for the dog, so I agreed to let her do what she thought was best. She decided to put him under anesthesia (he wasn't flailing around or growling, he was clinging to me and being very quiet). To make a long story short I got a glorified nail clipping for $200. She had told me she was going to take his whole nail off and she lied. She didn't take the nail off, all she did was clip it, and not even that short! She put a bandage on him when he didn't need one. All he needed was some stypic powder. So my poor foster dog I had only known 24 hours was put through a lot of stuff for no reason. Needless to say I was furious when I took off the giant bandage and found his nail was still there and he had been put through all that for no reason (and the vet never gave him his shots!!!)

I would get the second opinion ASAP. Swelling, red, discharge, foul smell, etc are all classic signs of an infection and if you are seeing those signs, he will be better off seeing the vet sooner than later.

When my foster dog's nail got cracked and then clipped really short, it took a week to heal. I assume dogs are like people and heal at different rates though.

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 01:30 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I am glad your getting a second opinion, when Puppers (my aussie) broke his leg while with my brother, the first vet said it would just heal and need no surgery, but I was a little worried about that since it was by his paw, took him to my regular vet and she said he would need surgery, so I went to a third place and they agreed if left alone he would be in constant pain, so I took him back to the vet, got the surgery and he was all better, I always get a second opinion when its something big

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 03:16 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

well, i guess they didn't say anything really except maybe to make sure you came back for xrays and things, i suppose it could be possible to have cancer

get the second opinion though!!

[/CENTER]

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to all for your support

Hi
Thanks to all that have written it is nice to have some support. Bailey's bandage came off on it own on Saturday night and the redness was almost gone and it didn't look to be that swollen. My husband rebandaged it so nothing would happen before our 2nd opinion appt. Yesterday I bought him a new toy and he was jumping in the air and coming down on both front paws to catch it without a problem. Seems happier and is eating well. I am glad to have made an appointment with another vet and will keep you all posted on the results of the visit.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 09:19 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I hope everything goes well. It sounds like it's not bothering him. I can sympathize because the bandage kept coming off my foster dog and I got so frustrated. The vet said that he would be in terrible pain if the bandage came off and when it did the dog was jumping around and stuff... /sigh

--------------------
~Marcia

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Good News

Hi All,

Well we got GOOD news from the second opinion we got today. This vet first listened to us like we were his only patient and then gave Bailey a through exam and then proceed to check the toe and nail in question. Right away he said he had a broken nail up where the nail comes out of the toe. He told that if we were coming to him off the street his course of action would be to cut the nail down to the break, get a X-ray and put him on an antibodic for the infection. WOW my husband and I were blown away and could only think why didn't our vet do this on Friday and why didn't she know his nail was cracked and broken???
Anyways this vet did the above and came back in with the Xray and it showed that his bones were intact and that he did NOT have cancer!! As you all can imagine, we were estatic. We are to see him on Friday so he can check Bailey's paw.

Bailey seems very happy tonight more like his old self, I am sure the pain meds are helping too.

I guess it really does pay to get a second opinion. I will post again with a progress report but for tonight I just wanted to thank you all again for being here and for listening. And of course to let you know our findings.

Have a good night, I know we are!
Patti
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 10:48 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Wow that sounds like what happened to my foster dog. It was a quick fix for him. I'm so glad he's doing better. I bet he bled more because his nail was cracked. It's great that he doesn't have cancer Get well soon doggy.

--------------------
~Marcia

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 05:18 AM
Will It Ever Change?

aww i'm so happy the second opinion helped!! sweet pup can start feeling better now

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan