Question about behavior - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question about behavior

Okay, so I have a question, and I was thinking perhaps someone could help me with it. As part of my job, I help care for a miniature schnauzer and an Airdale puppy who is about 7 months old. (hard to call him a puppy when he is so big! He weighs 75 lbs already. ) I have been there since before the puppy came, so he's always known me. He started doing this thing a little while ago. If I'm sitting some place, he'll come over and sit by me. Then he will very gently try to nibble on my fingernails! It's so odd. There's never anything on my hands, excpet maybe the scent of soap. My nails aren't very long, either. They come just above the pads of my fingers. I have never heard of a dog doing this sort of thing before. It's odd, too, because he sure does love to eat everything, and has eaten window frames, the porch, some wicker furniture, etc. He is supervised, and manages to destroy things in a matter of seconds. (he hasn't eaten anything in a while, so far as I know. At least he doesn't when I'm there.) So basically, he isn't gentle with anything he chews. Except when he tries to chew my fingernails. Has anyone ever heard of a dog of any sort doing this? Does anyone know WHY a dog would try to do this?

Also, if anyone here has an Airdale, or knows about this breed, perhaps you could answer some other questions I have regarding this doggie.

Thanks!

Coffee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 11:49 AM
Betta Bomb

Hmmm, sounds to me like you have a love-puffin!!
thats what i call my dog because he follows me everywhere,watches me do everything,and snugles up all the time in bed,and never wants me mad at him like when he chases Mama-our kittie.

so i wouldnt worry about it,baby animals do wierd things. nibble him back!!

Also i forgot to mention: WELCOME TO PAW-TALK!!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 03:24 PM
Aspires to Stupidity

When I had my doberman, she liked to do that occasionally too, but only to my thumb nails, lol. She wouldn't bite them off, but just lightly nibble, lol. It's just a wierd thing they like to do. Every dog has their own personality and crazy quirks, just like people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 03:34 PM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

I have a love puffin LOL...........Maggie follows me absolutely EVERYWHERE.....even to the toilet and she likes to nibble my fingernails aswell as my ears and anything else she can get hold of lol......she also like to snuggle up in bed and hates it when i tell her off for picking on the cat lol

*Carla*
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my animals!