Question About Fostering - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Question About Fostering

I was discussing with a friend about fostering a dog at some point...or several dogs, for local shelters. I was wondering...when you become part of a foster organization -- do you get to choose which dog you foster from that shelter...or does the shelter just stick you with any dog they have that needs a temporary home? I was thinking you'd be able to choose the breed you want to foster and other specific types of dogs/conditions you'd want to foster and then get to pick from a list of candidates after meeting them. My friend said that they just send any dog(maybe you get to pick your breed, but thats it) that needs a home?

Thoughts/answers to this question? Thanks =D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 11:05 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I think it would depend on the shelter and the arrangements you make with them.

If you want to foster a specific breed, contact a breed rescue group. What breeds are you interested in?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

My friend and I were just speaking generally...I'd like to foster in a few years after I buy a house. I don't really know the first thing about dogs at the moment...but I'd say my favorite small breeds are corgis and bulldogs...and for a big breed huskies and golden retrievers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 03:18 PM

Usually they will just ask you can you foster "so and so". If its through a normal shelter, then you can say "i can't foster now - call me in a few weeks or something"
You can easily decline - they can't MAKE you foster a certain animal, but then they may not be so gungho about fostering another dog to you.
Another way to "get out of" fostering certain breeds is if you live in an apartment with restrictions. Like in the fall I won't be able to foster pit-bulls, bulldogs, rotties, etc. Kind of sucks since those are the breeds i DO like.

I'd definitely look for some breed-specific rescues, there are a BUNCH in MD.
Maryland Rescues
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Excellent, thanks for that link. I'll look it over. Won't be doing this for a couple of years, but it's always good to start researching now(unfortunately this might cause me to start sooner!!!).
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 07:43 PM

I foster for a rescue who does lots of puppy mill rescues. We are all in a Yahoo group and they just notify us by e-mail what is coming in and ask if anybody wants to foster that particular dog or cat. It is definitely rewarding!!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 08:34 PM

Hey what yahoo group is that? I'm in Michigan and looking to foster in the fall if i get a good enough paying job!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007, 10:05 PM
RAT ADDICT

I foster beagles and beagle mixes for Beagle Paws.I am not currently doing it,until I move.As soon as I move,I am fostering again as I LOVE it! It is alot of fun and as Sara said,rewarding!

With our organization,sometimes they will ask if you wanna foster "so & so",but when there are several dogs at the office/kennel in need of foster homes,you can go and choose who you wanna take home to foster.

As mentioned tho,you can always decline too.For example,I no longer foster puppies.I take in adults and senoirs.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 09:28 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Bulldog Rescue Roster
Bulldog Rescue and Adoption- Adopt a Bulldog Near You
Corgi Rescue and Adoption- Adopt a Corgi Near You

Just a few links I found after googling it.

Rhonda

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Excellent, thank you

Tags
beagle paws, golden retriever, local shelter, puppy mill