Question about vaccinations - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Glowing New Mommy

Question about vaccinations

i recently posted about fostering.. well, the foster people wont do a home visit til the dogs are updated on their shots... thats fine with natalya cause i know what she needs.. for all you vet techs out there, does she really need a bordetella vaccine? and theres also another one i never heard of.. a vaccine against something like adult parvo... well, for my other husky, my parents used to take her to a different vet.. the last time she was seen was 5 years ago (i know thats bad, but i just recently took her with me when i moved.. parents dont tend to listen to their 14 yr old daughters).. and there is a past due balance to this vet and they wont release her vaccine information to me unless this balance is paid.. its not gonna be paid by any of us either (they diagnosed our cat a few years back, said there was no treatment for her, she died a month or so later, and then i found that there was no cure, but some kind of treatment, so my mother has refused to pay them) ... so i was wondering, i mean, i know shes gonna need all of her shots except rabies, cause she just got that.. but if she gets certain ones without me finding out her past vaccines, will it make her sick at all? or harm her?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 03:59 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

If it's been that long since she's been seen, re-vaccinating shouldn't be harmful.

I typically don't even consider bordetella unless they're in a highly populated dog area (i.e. dog parks, kennels, day care, etc).

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Glowing New Mommy

well besides distemper, rabies, and bordetella (cause we go to a dog park at least once a week) are there any other necesary ones?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Glowing New Mommy

Hello? ANyone????
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 03:54 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

You NEED to have your dog vacc against Parvo. This disease is extremely deadly and almost no dog makes it after contracting it. If you have had ANY animal in your house that has had Parvo, then you shouldn't bring anymore animals into the house for at least a year. Parvo can live that long even after deep cleanings.

So I would say:
Rabies
Parvo
Bordatella
Distemper
Plus:
Monthly Heartworm pills
Monthly Flea & Tick drops/pills

Hope that helps.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 04:24 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Here's some additional info:
http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Con...&S=0&C=0&A=524

http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Con...S=0&C=0&A=1836
http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Con...S=0&C=0&A=1837

Stephanie

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 09:43 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

I don't give my dogs Bordatella. Every time I've ever done it that dog has GOTTEN kennel cough. But, I don't board them or go to dog parks.

Parvo shots are a must.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 02:21 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

i think it just depends on the dog. i get bordatella for mine and they are fine. you should ask your vet.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Glowing New Mommy

Arent there distemper/parvo combination vaccines? i read that somewhere
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 09:25 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

Yes, distemper and parvo comes in a combo shot.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Glowing New Mommy

Oh good, kill two birds with one stone .. looks like Thursday is the vet visit and i just got an e-mail from the lady and the house visit will either be friday or saturday Yay!

Tags
dog park, kennel cough, vet tech, vet visit