Question about vaccinations (and some sad news) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Question about vaccinations (and some sad news)

Sad news first:

The company that my fiance works for has decided not to renew his contract, because they've lost several customer accounts recently. He is now out of work, and we are living on my $11/hour 32 hour/week job. His dad is temporarily taking over our car payments and car insurance, because I simply don't make enough to pay for everything.

Colleen is due for her shots on August 9th. If Lucas hasn't found a job by then, I don't know how we are going to pay for it. Does anyone know if there is any place to buy the rabies vaccine and rabies license/tag online and give it to her myself? Or does anyone know if it's possible to go to the vet and request just the rabies vaccine and none of the others, until Lucas finds a job and we can afford to pay for the rest? By law, dogs have to have a current rabies tag. I have no doubt in my mind that Colleen would never bite anyone so it's incredibly unlikely that anyone would ever find out if she was late getting it, but it's not a chance I'm willing to take. I don't want to lose her simply because we are having a temporary financial situation and I can't afford her shots.

Fortunatley, Ein isn't due until the end of September, and Tuck is good until February, so we've got time before we have to worry about those.

oh, and PS: Despite the finances, we will be keeping them on flea and heartworm preventative. Figured I'd better mention that so no one yells at me about how important it is. Fleas & mosquitos have both been bad this year, so there's no way I'll take them off. However, I will admit that we'll be going from Frontline to BioSpot to save money, as it's about 1/3 of the cost. Many fleas in this area are becoming Frontline/Advantage resistant anyways, so this shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by corgimom; 07-13-2007 at 02:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Are there any vets or places you could take her too? I know in my parent's town, the police station has a rabies vaccine day where they will give them just the rabies shot. And I know a lot of people don't like petsmart, but one of then near my parents also had a vet who would give just rabies shots so it's not as expensive.

I think you can buy the vaccine from dr. foster & smith's online, but I think you need a script from a vet or something to be able to get it.

Maybe your vet would work with you if you told him/her what's going on, and just give the one shot?

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 05:20 PM
Leo

Didn't you just get Colleen? Wasn't she fully vaccinated when you rescued her?

Your vet should just be able to give just the rabies vaccine and not the other ones. Although Parvo and distemper are ones that should also be give..

Possible other creative ideas:
Call ALL the vet practices within 30 miles of your house... you would be surprised how there are widely varying prices between vet practices and how some charge HUGE office fees while other charge none at all. Some vets may charge $15 for the vaccination other may charge $90 it really depends. With vaccinations it really doesn't matter what vet gives it (kind of like prescriptions for humans different pharmacies charge different prices, sometimes it pays to shop around).

Call your local animal shelter and see if they offer discount vaccinations, some shelters and animal control offices will offer vaccinations (and a slew of other services) at a reduced price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Ally, we adopted her last fall, but she had her vaccinations in August of 2006 while still undergoing the treatment for mange, before she was put up for adoption.

I've heard that most vaccines are supposed to be good for several years even though vets like to give them every year, so I was thinking that it wouldn't hurt to do the other vacc's after Lucas got a job. However, East Baton Rouge Parish (aka county) requires that the rabies vaccine be given and a new rabies tag put on, yearly.

I will call around and check prices. When Tucker had his shots, it was about $100 for all of the shots, heartworm test, fecal, and annual exam, but I'm not sure how much it would be for just the rabies. I know I'd still have to pay for an exam, so it would probably still be about $50.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 08:03 PM

hope you find a solution Looks like everyone has had great ideas...i cant think of anything else at the moment....
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 08:39 PM
Leo

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgimom View Post
.....I've heard that most vaccines are supposed to be good for several years even though vets like to give them every year, so I was thinking that it wouldn't hurt to do the other vacc's after Lucas got a job. However, East Baton Rouge Parish (aka county) requires that the rabies vaccine be given and a new rabies tag put on, yearly.....
I know about the immunity sometimes lasting longer.. I just usually don't advertise it, because I don't want "lurkers" getting the wrong idea and thinking "hey, it's ok to not vaccinate my dog" (I know you are not one of those people though, you love and take good care of your pets, as it was obviously shown with all you have been through with Colleen)....

Because of Colleen's history with mange I would actually request the vaccinations be done separately anyway. Doing all those vaccinations at once could cause a problem with her immune system possibly causing another mange outbreak (over vaccinating could be a trigger for a mange outbreak??? ask your vet though).

They do not allow the 3 year Rabies there? That sux.... since you have to get the rabies vacc, I would seriously call around... you have to be able to get it done for less than $50 (I have gotten a Rabies vacc for under $20). Sometimes certain clinics will perform services at a discount based off from your wage.

((hugs)) I hope you are able to find someplace to do it for less than your regular clinic.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 10:37 PM

I know the one shelter here will give all shots for $35 if you make less than $30K a year. I would call everyone and look online too. Just type in low cost vaccines and your county and you may find something. Most vets will still charge the office visit plus about $18 for a rabies vaccine and depending on where you live, it's up the vet about the 1 or 3 year vaccine. The vet I go to does the 1 year, but my old one did 2 and the one before that did every 3 years.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

I did some looking around, after finding the 7in1 or 5in1 and bordatella vaxs at drsfostersmith and the rabies vax at jefferspet.

Jeffers said to check your state laws before purchasing the rabies vaccine because it's not legal to give it yourself in all states. So I did a google search for Louisiana. Louisiana state law requires that a veterinarian give your dog a rabies vaccine yearly, unless you can provide proof that they were given a three year vac. So apparently three year vac's are allowed on rabies, but you have to prove that it was a three year. All of the tags we have ever gotten are one year.

One thing I noticed, that now makes me annoyed... The instructions for the rabies vac said to give 1ml. A 10ml bottle was 11.49, including tags. The 7 in 1 vaccine was 6.49, and bordatella was 4.49. So the vet visit, heartworm test, and fecal cost $85. Shows how much mark up there is.

I hadn't even thought that doing too many vac's at once might compromise her immune system and bring back the mange. You're totally right-it could. I just hadn't thought of it.

Speaking of which, she never had her 1-month-after-treatment skin scraping because I knew her vaccinations were sometime this summer and figured I'd get it all done at once than pay for two vet visits. I'd like to get a skin scrape done just to be sure that we really did get it all afer Lucas gets another job. I don't have any reason to think we didn't, but just to be sure.

You know, when I was contacting shelters to see if anyone had room for Sebastian (the kitten we found), one shelter said that they didn't have room, but could offer me a discount coupon for his neutering because if he was already neutered, it'd be easier to find a home for him... I need to give them a call and see if they offer the same with vaccinations.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

Time to do the happy dance!

Low Cost Vaccination Home Page

Colleen is due August 9th, and there is going to be a vet at the Baton Rouge Petco giving vaccinations on August 4th! $10 for just a rabies vaccine. $36 for rabies, 5-in-1, and bordatella.

Yeah, we're definitely going!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 04:34 AM

woohoo!! :party: glad u found something!!!!!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 09:31 AM
Leo

WOOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!! I'm so glad you are going to be able to get them done (I knew you could get a Rabies done for less than $50)...
I would still call/discuss with your vet about getting them done all at once with Colleen though. Leo (Pomeranian) never gets everything done at once. I usually do Bordatella and Rabies and then go back a few weeks later for the rest, because I do not want to shock his immune system (he is not compromised at all I just preventively do this). My vet does not charge an office visit for vaccinations, so it doesn't cost me extra to go back twice. My vets office charge is $35 for anything other than vaccinations.

Tags
animal control, animal shelter, local animal shelter, vet visit, vet visits