Question for Dog Breeders and Vets..... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Question Question for Dog Breeders and Vets.....

Ok, I know this is a weird one but it seems like I am always victim to the bizarre and not the common. I've been breeding cats for about 10 years, and have been breeding pugs for about 2, but NEVER have I seen this.

My newest black female pug, Storm, had her first heat at 5 months of age in September 2005. This was about 3 months ago. Right about now she started looking pregnant but I know that she was separated from the boys during her heat cycle, and pregnancy was not a possibility. I do not encourage under-aged pregnancies and am obsessive when it comes to maintaining separation during early heats.

So, I called a breeding friend and we palpatated her belly for pups. I felt one lump and my breeding friend felt 2 lumps that were not like the usual marbles but more like large capsules. Weird? I took Storm in for a formal palpitation at a very experienced and reputable vet and he thought he felt 2 puppies. Not being able to think of a conception date or even a possible date that our "heat iscolation security" could have been breeched we did x-rays and were SHOCKED by the results.

When a female dog is not pregnant the uterus cannot be seen on an x-ray. Yet here, on our x-rays for Storm, was a palm sized uterus that was COMPLETELY EMPTY! We took 5 x-rays from multiple angles hoping for a hiding pup but one could not be found. I have always seen pups be cocooned or reabsorbed when they die inside the womb but even the cocoons can be seen on an x-ray, and reabsorbed pups usually occur early on in gestation, not at 4-6 weeks out of a 9 week gestation.

So, my question is this: Is this a false pregnancy?????? A case of miscarriage????? What am I looking at here??

How could the uterus enlarge when the feamle dog has never been pregnant? Her nipples are large and saggy as if she were pregnant and she is gaining weight, but I have also been trying to put weight on her because she was looking weedy for a while.

Any ideas? I'm lost..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 12:04 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

my dog had 2 false pregnancies...and both times she got fat and her nipples got bigger...so thats what it sounds like to me

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDancer
my dog had 2 false pregnancies...and both times she got fat and her nipples got bigger...so thats what it sounds like to me
but did you do x-rays to see how many pups were there and then find none? i know they can look pregnant on the outside but it is the enlarged uterus that is really throwing me off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 03:41 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

Did the doctor do blood tests? It sounds to me like either a false pregnancy, or a pyometra. She's very young for a pyometra, but every rule has it's exceptions... It is an infection in the uterus in which it's filled with pus. Usually you can see pus/bloody secretion coming from the vagina, but, if I'm not mistaken, a pyometra could also be closed (in which case you won't see discharge... don't quote me on that, though... as I'm no vet, and no dog expert at all.. I'm learning now).
I found a pic of an x-ray of what a pyometra looks like:

Taken from this site, which also has info on pyometras.
http://www.thepetcenter.com/sur/py.html

I hope it's something easy and not as serios as this... good luck with the puppy, and keep us updated!

Dimaris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfoot
Did the doctor do blood tests? It sounds to me like either a false pregnancy, or a pyometra.
oh wow! that was an awesome reference! i have never had pyro before but am very familiar with it. i checked her for discharge and didn't see any but i'm definitely going to consider the possibility because there was no way for her to have bred and there were definitely no puppies inside. i'll call my doctor tomorrow and ask him what antibiotics we can give to be on the safe side for both her and the possible pups. that's the hard thing: we haven't ruled out pups so we will have to be super cautious about preventatives and treatments.

YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!!!!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 01:01 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I spoke with a vet at work and she seemed to think a false pregnancy was most likely, but recommended a CBC to check her white cell count to rule out a pyometra as well. Good luck with her.

Stephanie

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

thanks jade! as i looked further into the article i saw that the pyro victims seemed to have large sausage shaped uterus' that could be seen clearly in the x-rays. also, they didn't have the nipple enlargements and utter like sacs that storm has. i will call my reg vet in the mornng and see what he says about it all. i know he had said we would do x-rays again in 2 weeks, but he will have the CBC results in front of him and maybe there is a safe antibiotic we can give as a precaution while we wait for pups to appear or not appear.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 10:11 AM
Newborn Pup

OOooo, hope its not pyometra! i worked for a vet a long time ago-i remember seeing those, and back then, the treatment was spaying. i'm betting on false pregnancy. whats her white count?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda2
OOooo, hope its not pyometra! i worked for a vet a long time ago-i remember seeing those, and back then, the treatment was spaying. i'm betting on false pregnancy. whats her white count?
white blood cells are in order, no huge abnormalities and they seem to be right on target for now. i ran a fecal sample at home to look for worms but she is clear. no worms.

she looks sooooooooo pregnant. she is round and solid with utter-like nipples. i talked to some cat friends who said that the uterus will enlarge in cats with false pregnancies so i am now leaning towards that too. i will take her in in 1 more week for more xrays and hopefully it will not by pyo or pups. still no discharge or fever so that is good.

Tags
heat cycle