Question(s) concerning crating - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Question Question(s) concerning crating

Charlie is just starting her housetraining. After I take her outside if she eliminates (at least pees) I let her wander around my room and the adjoining room where her crate is located for at least an hour.

I know in Deja's guide it says that pups should never just be "plopped down" into their crate. My problem is that Charlie doesn't often want to go in. At this point she isn't really getting any treats. The few times I've offered her tiny pieces she doesn't even eat them. So its hard to play 'hide the biscuit' in her crate or anything. (I've tried a few different treats which our 7 year old likes).

So first off, how can I get her to enjoy her crate more? I put a blanket over most of it so it's more like a "den." I have it located near the door frame (there's no door, just a frame) so I can see her.
Second how can I get her to want to go in? e.g. that I should point her in that direction and she's happy to do it.

Lastly, if she goes outside and is successful is it OK to gate her in just in her room with the crate open if I am going out? The room seems puppy safe, but I'm also trying to make sure I'm setting her up for success. (She was originally paper trained so I feel her instincts for that may kick in.)

Charlie is 10 weeks going on 11.

Once again sorry for the long message, I tend to ramble.
Thanks, Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 03:42 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

i would say that if you are leaving the apt./house that you should not leave her anywhere but in the crate. if you give her a small area plus her crate, it's counterproductive. the point of the crate is that the area is not big enough for her to get away from her own potty. that's why she won't want to go. but i think that you can let her run around her puppy-safe area while you are there.

also, you have the right idea as far as leaving the crate door open for her. that's really important. she needs to have access all the time so that she'll get comfortable with it.

as far as getting her to go in there....does she have a favorite toy that you can put in there? maybe some cheese would work. or peanut butter.

let us know!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 09:51 AM
Proud New Mommy

With Mugzlee...

He NEVER wanted to go into the crate. I read a book about crate training and it said to have the dog on a leash that's tied to a chair you're sitting in (so the dog is content because you're with him) and whenever he gets close to or goes in the crate; stop what you're doing and tell him "GOOD BOY!!!" "GOOD BOY!!" and pet him.
Once he is comfortable with the crate- try throwing in a favortie toy/ball in there and have him fetch it out to you. Still repeat "Good Boy" When he goes into the crate for you.

Make sure you only have his food bowl and water bowl in the crate so he has to go in there to eat. That way it may even become his comfort zone. (And if you have any children that play with him, don't let the children reach into the crate and pet him/pull him out. He will eventually go into his 'safe' spot.)

hmm... I hope that helps! It's complicated, I know. We had to crate train our pug.

Good luck, and keep us updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

**Update**

The puppy still doesn't like her crate. She has taken to crying and yelping upon being put in. I've been told this is normal and should be ignored lest I want her to be rewarded for it.

Tags
crate training, food bowl, water bowl