Questions about Paw wax (Musher's Secret) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

Questions about Paw wax (Musher's Secret)

Right now the weather is spiffy and Luna is in training to jog long distance. My main concern though is the heat when it does get hot out. We will be starting on one bike trail that has a grassy shoulder. We will be merging onto another bike trail with a turf shoulder. Of course turf gets HOT...sometimes as hot as the cement (trail is paved) so I was looking at foot protection. Lucky me, everyone has funky sized feet so boots are out of the question. I was instead going to make some paw wax for their feet. I heard that it works pretty well but my only problem is it says "apply when needed" on all of the commercial stuff. How do I know when its needed if its clear? Also we will be going down a nature path that is dirt. Will I need to reapply after going down the dirt path?

[B]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Spyro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Loki
Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 09:05 PM
Betta Bomb

I don't know the specific brand you mention but I was using a paw wax on Coco in the winter. To know when to reapply, if you enter water reapply afterwards. I know it's wax and wax is waterproof but the evaporating water would wear it away quicker. Also, whenever you stop for water breaks just feel her foot pads for the wax.
I have't ever used it in summer because I would keep Coco on grass or walk on pavement for only a couple minutes and we're so far north that it didn't always get too hot.
Anyways, go for it. I swear by wax in the winter

Just please keep in mind to not overrun your dog in the heat. They "sweat" through their paws so she might get uncomfortable after a while.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 05:30 AM
Playful Pup

I have my dogs out a lot in the suummer when it is hot. I wet them down. Given a chance many dogs will take a dip in a pond or stream.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 03:56 PM
Adolescent Pup

I've never herd off this stuff before!! Thank's for writing this artical, have too see if i can find anything for Patch in the summer.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 12:35 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Never tried it yet too here, glad we don't really have that hot weather. I would rather choose time to let him out when it is not that hot, either early morning or late afternoon.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

I use Musher's Secret but I use it mainly in the winter to protect my dogs feet from the road salt that our city puts out on the roads/sidewalks.

When I use it in the winter, I put it on his paws before we go out for a walk and just the one application is enough to last the whole walk. Without the Musher's Secret, or some other kind of paw protection, the road salt causes him to limp. But one application of Musher's Secret right before our walk seems to be enough because then he can get through our usual 30 - 45 minute walk without limping.

From my understanding, the wax kind of soaks into the paws. So I'm not really sure if dirt would effect it at all. Even though it is clear, I can tell when the Musher's Secret is still on my dogs paws. It makes the pads of his paws have kind of a shiny/wet look to them.

On the Musher's Secret website in the FAQ section they say this...

Quote:
How often should I use Musher's Secret?

It depends on the activity level of your dog.
Mushers will "walk off"
in about a week.
In snowy conditions,
I use it 2-3 times a week
(we walk 2 miles a day)
So according to that I probably overdo it putting it on before each walk. But it's non-toxic and safe even if your dog licks it off, so I don't see any harm in putting it on more often. I have a 200 gram jar that I've had for over a year and it's not even half way gone yet, so it lasts a good amount of time even if you use it a lot. You don't need to put a ton of it on their paws for it to work

Just one thing I recommend is that I always put it on right before a walk and then take my dog out. That way he doesn't have the opportunity to lick it off or lay down and get the wax in his fur. Also, if you have slippery flooring the wax on their paws can sometimes make them slide around a bit for awhile until it fully soaks into their paws, just something to be aware of.

Tags
hot weather, musher's secret, paw wax, protection