Questions for Dog Breeders - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Questions for Dog Breeders

In my other thread I was asking pug breeders for advice and words of wisdom that were related strictly to pug breeding. It seems as though there are a lot of dog experts here who know a lot about dog breeding, but so far i haven't met any people who are strictly pug breeders. I would like to open this thread up for any and all who have bred dogs and am asking that you list as much info as possible.

Here are some sample questions to get you guys and girls going:
  1. What do I need to know?
  2. What are the pros and cons of breeding dogs?
  3. What precautions should be taken during breeding/pregnancy/litter raising/etc?
  4. What vaccines are recommended for young puppies and when? Are there any vaccines that I should avoid giving to my puppies?
  5. Should precautionary medications such as Albon (treats coccidiosis) or Drontal (broad spectrum de-wormer) be given to young pups as a preventative before adoption?
These are just a few of the thousands of questions related to this topic. Feel free to post any and all info.

Thanks everyone!
Amber
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 02:41 AM

good book with excellent info

you might be able to find this book at the library. i heard it referred to as the "sheltie bible" its actually called "Sheltie Talk". It has some great info on breeding that works for most any breed as well as a gestation table. it tells the things you should know before during and after breeding. it should answer alot of questions. I think I found my copy online somewhere. p.s. although i have this book i refer to it on my jrts when i have a rare litter
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-23-2004, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by tflaf
you might be able to find this book at the library. i heard it referred to as the "sheltie bible" its actually called "Sheltie Talk". It has some great info on breeding that works for most any breed as well as a gestation table. it tells the things you should know before during and after breeding. it should answer alot of questions. I think I found my copy online somewhere. p.s. although i have this book i refer to it on my jrts when i have a rare litter
thanks! what breed do you work with and what do you consider a rare litter?