Rain - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
PT's Troll Hunter

Rain

Okay! We'll today we called and went to see the Great Dane!

Ben and I were already out and about, when it hit 10am I called the number to see if we could stop by. Kelly answered the phone and told us she had some running to do, and it'd be about an hour. Ben and I killed time getting some errands done, and then called her again. She said she had stopped home because of the rain and it'd just be a little bit longer. One hour turned into 2 and we kept trying to call and call. (I was wondering if she began to think I was stalking her! )

Finally she's home, and says sorry she took so long. I said it's okay, we were fine waiting.

We headed over and she introduced us to this big doll, the Dane, named Rain. She was excited to see visitors and to be in the living room, haha, she's not usually allowed in there I guess. Well, we get to talking, I sit on the floor, and Rain comes over and plops her giant rear end right in my lap! It was hilarious!

Over all, I love her. Ben is really delighted with her and because of his reasons, he said he wouldn't mind getting a slightly older dog. (He said this after he met her, go figure!) lol

The reasons I like her are because even though she is a puppy, her demeanor is docile and calm. I'm sure she can have her excited moments, as all dogs do, though. In the living room with her were three very little girls, and I loved how she behaved with them. She was gentle and never knocked them over, as clumsy as she is... but her tail is hard as wood and swooshes like a whip. That was the only dangerous thing about her.

Kelly told me that she bought Rain from a breeder in Iowa, and they traveled all the way to get her. She has papers and registration she said, and that she can breed even though she's a mismarked/broken mantle. She said that if bred with the right dog she can produce show quality puppies. I asked her if she was hoping that she'd be bred later on when she's old enough, and Kelly said it was up to whoever she gets placed with. I told her I really don't want to breed because she will be my first Dane to begin with, and besides that I know I'm not knowledgable to do it, so if we get her, we'd have her spayed. Kelly said that thats totally fine and actually she prefers her to just be a companion animal.

She does well with other dogs, which is great. (I want to be able to interact with other dogs, like Max and Har and my folks Rotts.) She ignores cats for the most part, which is even better. (Since I'll be taking Sam home in a little while.)

Rain has been doing some therapy dog lesson's according to Kelly. Kelly works with Planned Pethood, and so if we decide to spay her she can get us a discount for half off almost. Thats nice.

She does rescue as well, and she said she has an 8 month male Rott she's taking in soon. So I can tell she cares about the animals interests and not looking to make a quick buck.

My only hang up is the fact that she is allergic to corn. Mandie told me that corn is just a filler and hasn't got any nutritional value, so I'm hoping to talk to Melissa and get a list of all the best dog food's. (I know she has that somewhere.) Kelly told me that the food she is on now is something called Nature's Diet or Nature's Choice, I can't remember because I don't think I've heard of it. She said its one of the more expensive brands because its good quality.
I talked to Ben about it after we'd left, and he said he's sure we could still handle it. I'm sure we could, too. I just think that if we decide we want her, we have to be sure to get her to the vet right away so he can explain to me how to best avoid her breaking out. (Kelly told us that the reaction to corn looks like ringworm.)

Kelly told us that she was going to keep Rain until the ad in the paper ran out, which is about a week or so, and then from there pick who she thinks would take best care of her/would give her the best home. She told us that so far, we're the only people she's even allowed to come and see Rain. The rest she wasn't impressed by. She said the fact that I kept calling and calling showed that I was really interested.

So Ben and I left our numbers with her and we still have theirs, on Saturday we're going to go and visit with her again.

What do you guys think?

Ben loves her, wanted to take her home so she could sleep in bed with him. haha Guess I got the boot!
I like her a lot, her personality and affection are way better than what I expected.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 07:52 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Well I'm glad all went well..I think you should definetly discuss it more before making your final decision, but it sounds like a good match if she is truely the dog you feel would be best suited for you.
Chances are that you may want to stick with the diet she is already on if you get her...especially since she is already used to it and you know she is doing well on it. Get her vet records from the owner as well.
Sounds pretty good to me...Why are they rehoming her again?

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
PT's Troll Hunter

They're finding her a new home because the mom has gone back to work and the husband is working full time.

She also said that she feels Rain needs more attention than she can give her because she's so busy with the little girls.

We're still talking about it, and we're not totally sure what we'll decide. We still have a week.

I'll keep you updated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 11:04 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

From everything you described, she sounds wonderful for a large breed puppy behavior wise

Sorry if I missed it...it's late...but does the pup have any health clearances as far as it's parents? I'm sure like any other breed they are prone to certain health issues. If not, it just depends on if you want to take a chance. It is less of a concern if she is a pet...but still a concern. Please keep us posted on the outcome!

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 12:54 AM

I think the food they have her on is called Nature's Recipe. They make different foods for different types of allergies. They have a Venice and Rice and Rabbit and Rice for dogs allergic to beef, lamb or chicken protiens. If thats the worst concern I wouldn't worry about that, she sounds great. Good luck!
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 01:02 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Mal she sounds great!!! Let us know what you decide!!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 10:11 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

She sounds wonderful. I love that the owner is waiting til the ad is over to choose. It gives them time to pick the right owner, and you all time to discuss if you really want her or not.

If you do get her, I'd definately stick to the diet she's on if it works. A lot more dogs are actually allergic to corn than one might think. Thankfully its a pretty easy allergy to deal with.

I wish you all the best of luck, and hope she chooses you if you truly want her. Keep us posted.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-29-2004, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
PT's Troll Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisanne
She sounds wonderful. I love that the owner is waiting til the ad is over to choose. It gives them time to pick the right owner, and you all time to discuss if you really want her or not.
Me too.

Quote:
If you do get her, I'd definately stick to the diet she's on if it works. A lot more dogs are actually allergic to corn than one might think. Thankfully its a pretty easy allergy to deal with.
I think that is a good idea. Why change her food if its working out? I'd still like to learn more about this brand though.

Quote:
I wish you all the best of luck, and hope she chooses you if you truly want her. Keep us posted.
Thanks. I'll definately let you guys know how things pan out.

We're pretty sure we want her. And I can't say pretty sure anymore then I just did.

We've really been discussing this and we're going to go ahead with it. If Kelly chooses us as the best prospective owners she's seen, we're going to bring her home.

If Kelly chooses otherwise, I guess we'll just have to keep looking.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-29-2004, 12:48 PM
Next Member of the Booger Clan

Oh Mallory, I hope you get her!!! She sounds wonderful. Good luck!

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

~Nikki and Sandy~

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 08:33 AM

I hope you get her to Mal! Here is a link to the food. Go under "Dog Products" and then under "Easy to Digest" they have two corn free formulas, one lamb and one chicken.

Nature's Recipe
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
PT's Troll Hunter

Thank you Queen Dena!

lol
I looked for this brand at one of the petstores the other day, but they didn't carry it. I had the name wrong too, but I knew it started with Nature... I was thinking it was called Nature's Choice again. Thanks again for finding it for me! Now I know I won't have to switch her food.

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 02:40 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

If you and Kelly don't live too far away from each other, ask her where she gets it...I think that would help

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 05:26 PM
I Just Need One!

Wow, everything sounds like it went wonderful! I hope you get her, Mal!!

By the way, I absolutely looove the name Rain!

Liana, Mickey, Sky & Rocket

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
PT's Troll Hunter

Mandie, I found from the link that Dena gave me that I can find it at Pet Supplies Plus. (Which is kinda funny because Ben and I always go in there, and I've never seen it before, but I'm just gunna be double checking. )

And Prima, I love her name too! We're not going to change it. I thought about changing the spelling to Rayne... But I changed my mind.

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 06:33 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Mal my friend's girlfriend's name is Rain but she spells it Reine! Just thought if you were looking for another spelling that's an option!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy

Tags
dog food, older dog, pet supplies