Raw meat? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Raw meat?

Such as beef, chicken, or pork ... is it good to feed dogs? or should it be cooked? I have 2 small dogs and 1 big ... does size matter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 02:00 PM

There are a lot of people who feed there dog nothing but raw meat. not even dog food.

Its called a raw diet. Why are you wanting to feed raw meat? as the main food, or as a treat. I feed raw meat to my dogs on occasion. I do not think you should feed them pork, its too rich.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

I wanted to know mainly as a "healthy" treat ... My hubby and I got a great deal on hamburger and now our freezer is full of it! Ive been making freezer meals, so I dont have to cook so much and I wanted to give them some of the cooked stuff but most of it is being seasoned. So I figured raw meat treats would be good for them .. maybe even better than the bagged treats from the pet store. but I didn't want to give it to them on the off-chance it might have negative consequences... the last thing I need is Lobo with diarrhea ((Shudders))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 02:51 PM

I personally wouldnt feed raw hamburger. There are tons of dog treats you can cook with them! roll them in little balls with just a tid bit of garlic, maybe some brown rice.... or oats even. And cook em up, and freeze the left overs. Look online and I am sure you can find all sorts of doggie treats to make.
Now if it was beef tips, or steak meat i would feel just fine about feeding it raw.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 04:09 PM
Princess in Waiting

There are commercial raw diets available that I have a problem even thinking about feeding my dogs (a personal hangup!!) but I know a lot of people who use this and say that it has helped allergies, skin problems, etc.

I know of a recipe for a dog treat using raw hamburger that is called "Satin Balls". If you'd like, I can try to find it for you.

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 04:13 PM
Zippy Chickenshorts

Raw meat is a good treat on occation.
I wouldn't suggesting feeding them the hamburgers, because they are frozen. Meat that can be freezed is usually not the proper deal and isn't all meat.
If you were talking about a proper burger from a butcher, than I would probably say differently, however, when I eat burgers that can be freezed, they are never the same as a proper burgur, if you know what I mean.
Good luck
xxx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 06:40 PM
Princess in Waiting

FWIW, the commercial raw foods are frozen. The recipe I mentioned is made with raw burger and can be frozen. I don't think it would make much difference whether it had been frozen or not (except maybe the length of time it had been frozen).

Be cautious when adding anything different to your dog's diet and do it slowly - I'm sure you know this. You're the one who will be cleaning up the mess it can cause if you add it abruptly!! Small bites at first - no matter how they beg.

CRITTERCALL

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 11:26 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I know there are alot of paw-talkers that feed raw, there used to be many threads about it...and I was always told that you should leave garlic out of dogs diets, just so you know, my vet says its just best to avoid, I have read its only bad in large doses, but I don't use it...look for old threads with B.A.R.F or raw diet, theres alot of amazing information in them...also google it, I don't know what meats are better than others, but trust me when I say there will be a fellow paw-talker to help you soon

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Princess in Waiting

The very best thing to do in a situation like this where you aren't sure about what to do, how much, etc. is to get in touch with your veterinarian. He/She is the one you will go to if this experiment causes a problem and they need to be aware of it. IMO you shouldn't make such a drastic change in your dog's diet without medical approval. Just because the BARF (Bones and Raw Food) diet had been used by people on this thread doesn't mean it is a good diet OR the right thing for your dog. (And there is another reason it is called BARF - your should smell their breath.)

That's all I'll say on the subject. It's one of my soapbox things and I don't wanna go there!

CRITTERCALL

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 03:56 PM
Adolescent Pup

It is great for dogs. I feed whole prey model myself. I don't do pork though for a few reasons but some people do.

Check Them Out

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 01:01 PM

For some reason I thought a raw food diet was similar to a human's raw food diet. Like healthier. I wouldn't consider feeding my dog raw meat though. Not so sure if its good for consumption of if it would produce sickness.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 04:30 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

is the diet really just raw meat?! no veggies? i don't see how it can be as good for them with out veggies. my dogs love their veggies and i'm pretty sure need them

[/CENTER]

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 01:02 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofroof View Post
For some reason I thought a raw food diet was similar to a human's raw food diet. Like healthier. I wouldn't consider feeding my dog raw meat though. Not so sure if its good for consumption of if it would produce sickness.
I'm confused by this. Meat is the only thing you should need to feed to your dog raw if its for their meals/diet. There is no reason it would produce sickness since it is a dogs natural diet. It has actually helped reduce sickness or fix illness in dogs, especially those with allergies. It also decreases the possibility of cancer and dietbities. It strengthens a dogs immune system as well which to me translates to better health. Although it depends on what dog food you are feeding. Some food contain carcenagins, preservatives, salt, sugar, grains (some of these things don't have to be listed in the ingredients) things of which cause cancer, help aid the growth of tumors, diebities, overworks the pancreas and are not the best thing to feed your dog.

Your dog is more likely to become ill from commercial dog foods and also obtain less nutrition from heat processed foods. Many of which are mostly grains and fillers. There are some very good ones out there so it does again depend on what you feed. The only way it would get sick from raw food is if it were tainted/had something toxic. Commercials foods have killed and made ill hundreds of pets with the tainted food during recalls alone, so that is not even included the ill health or premature death of dogs simply from eating a bad diet.

Now just because you feed raw doesn't mean your dog will always be in perfect health, genetics play a part in a dogs health. However if your dog might already be predisposed to cancer there is no reason to help him/her along. If they have allergies, weak immune system, ect why give them something that is harmful.

I'd have to think that if a dog can live into his late 20s on a raw diet then it doesn't produce sickness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
is the diet really just raw meat?! no veggies? i don't see how it can be as good for them with out veggies. my dogs love their veggies and i'm pretty sure need them
Yes whole prey model is food modeled after prey. In other words eating prey animals like a dog naturally would. Why would there be veggies since they are primarily carnivores and can't even digest veggies? No they don't need them. It is good for them because they don't need veggies. To learn more you can research on natural diet, benefits of raw feeding, reasons why, ect. Some of mine like veggies too, especially carrots, I give them to my dogs as a non nutritional snack. I don't have to worry about them gaining weight or anything like that since they can't digest it, they don't know the difference and have fun playing/eating them. Dogs can't digest plants/veggies so there isn't a reason to for them to need to eat them. It comes out pretty much how it went in only difference being chewed up. Just because a dog loves to eat something doesn't mean they need to eat it. Dogs don't need veggies anymore then herbavores need meat. There is grains, veggies, ect in many commercial dog foods because they are cheaper and fillers. Just like there is meat in cow feed even though they shouldn't be eating meat because it is a cheap add that will bulk them up in the feed lot gaining more money for the cattlemen. Omniavores like humans need plant/meat.

Dogs need to eat muscle meat, bone and organs to meat their nutritional needs. If you skimp on one or the other then you could cause deficency in your dog. It might take awhile to show but most will start showing symptoms of whatever they are lacking. Meat sources should also be varried because different meats have different nutrients and value to a dog.

A big plus for the humans is much smaller stools, less volume and almost no odor.

http://www.rawmeatybones.com download available of Dr Tom Lonsdale's book
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding raw feeding group
http://www.rawlearning.com/rawfaq.html helpful website, this page is a FAQ that is helpful for anyone new to raw feeding

I've finally started feeding my dogs pork. I don't like pork but stopped letting my biased get in my way.

Check Them Out

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 01:56 PM
Adolescent Pup

Guess I can't edit, been too long? I looked up raw diet for people to see what it was besides one that was about raw meat the only other thing I could find was basically a vegetarian diet. If you fed that to a dog for an extended period of time they'd die of malnourishment because it'd like starving them.

Check Them Out

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 05:03 PM
Princess in Waiting

Several years ago I fed one of my dogs a commercial vegetarian food (because of allergies) and she ended up getting UTI's until I stopped the food.

I don't say that a raw diet is bad for the dog - my opinion is that making a drastic change should be discussed with a medical professional (and they should mark it on the dog's record so that if something should come up they will know when the diet was started and be able to determine if that might be a factor).

Yes, dogs are omnivores and "prey meat" sounds impressive. However, IMO we need to take into consideration the fact that dogs have been out of the wild for how many years? We (human beings) changed them - is it fair to think that we can take them now and change them back?

To each his own. I personally have an aversion to the thought of giving my kids raw meat. But that's MY opinion and doesn't count for anyone else.

CRITTERCALL

Tags
food