Re-house training a 3 year old dog - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Re-house training a 3 year old dog

Hi,
I recently moved from a house to an apartment which has no backyard (we are upstairs with just a balcony) and my dog, who has lived in a house with a backyard her whole life-she's 3.5 years old, is having difficulty knowing where to go to the bathroom.

I tried buying sod (live grass) for her to use, bought a "potty patch" (fake grass), and tried walking her in the mornings and nights when I know she has to go. Thing is, she has never gone to the bathroom on walks before. This has never been a problem due to the fact that she would always just use the backyard as a potty.

Any ideas on how to solve this? I've tried the pheromone sprays and nothing seems to work. She's a Pomeranian mix, about 11 pounds.

ANY help would be appreciated. She keeps pooping in the living room and my roommate is not happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 08:45 PM
Newborn Pup

Your dog is still adjusting since what you have said, you just recently moved from a house to an apartment. You need to be patient to train your dog on how to use the new bathroom.
You need to know when your dog will poop. Leash your dog and go to the special spot. Use your command word, giving the dog enough leash to sniff around and find a suitable spot. Be patient. It may take your dog a few minutes to be comfortable enough to eliminate waste with you standing there.
You can also use a treat or praise him after doing the proper behavior. Repeat these steps as many times as it takes for your dog to "get it," always rewarding him for success, but never scolding him for failure.

I’m the lead content curator for Coops And Cages and a couple of other pet blogs. My love for animals is matched by my love for 'attempting' to play the guitar.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 09:52 AM
Newborn Pup

Very good advice there. Just don't think it will happen over night or something. Good luck.

Tags
apartment, dog, house training