Ready for a Boxer (I think)? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 03:54 PM
DanP

Ready for a Boxer (I think)?

Hi there,

First post here, hope I'm following the rules.

Looking for some advise: strongly considering getting a Boxer. While I've never owned one before it has been on my list forever.

Have 3 kids in the house, ranging from 1 to 14 years old.

A couple of concerns:

* Compatibility: I have a 4 year old male (neutered) Boston Terrier. Completely friendly & good natured (although hyper as can be). Indoor / Outdoor.

Any thoughts as to how they are likely to get along, how to introduce them, etc.?

Would the Boxer being a Male or Female make a difference?

* Activity level: I'm hearing mixed opinions as to how active these dogs are. My yard is not that big, and not sure that I can do a lot more than walks / jogs on a daily basis.

Would the dog be miserable?

Thanks for any words of wisdom on these, and if anyone has any links to the proper procedure for crate-training, etc. - it's been a while, time to review the basics.

Thanks!

P.s.: and if anyone knows of a good breeder / source in the S. Florida area...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 05:34 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

Hi DanP and Welcome to the forum.I am very fond of boxer's.I have had several dogs over the years when my kids were growing up.I prefer the females as they are easier to house break.My boxer was so gentle.She got along good with my cats and she was a little afraid of the ferret we had.She loved children.She had a very good temperament.My kids found a baby rabbit and I could put the rabbit in the floor and tell her to watch it and she would.If it started to wander off she would gently nudge it back the other way.Just my opinion but if I ever get another dog it will be another boxer.
Quote:
Any thoughts as to how they are likely to get along, how to introduce them, etc.?
This I am not sure as we only had one dog.Never had trouble introducing any pets to her.
Quote:
* Activity level: I'm hearing mixed opinions as to how active these dogs are. My yard is not that big, and not sure that I can do a lot more than walks / jogs on a daily basis.
She would get vrey excited at times.She was inside but we let her out to run and play when we got home from work.She seemed pretty content inside the house all day.
I hope this helps you alittle as far as their temperament.Sorry so long winded. I just love boxer's is all.Not sure where to find a breeder in your areabut will try to find someone close.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 02:51 PM
DanP

Thanks for the reply.

Wow, lots of info on Boxers around, some contradictory (as expected).

Hearing a few sad stories about Boxer lovers having gone through cancer / tumors with them. From what I've heard there isn't much that can be done at the pup stage to decrease the chances of this or predict the likelyhood.

Going to look at two today, 6 & 7 months old so not exacly pups. I can see good and bad in this, but then again it can't hurt to go out and meet them.

If anything one would think that their disposition should be more set at that age, so less surprises.

Looking forward to hearing from anyone that knows reputable sources in S. Florida.

Or anything else Boxer related for that matter!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 09:44 PM
Princess in Waiting

Good luck in your search. Just be really cautious with your breeder and be sure to check references, etc. I say this because one of my dogs (Cavalier King Charles) came from a "breeder" in Sarasota who was actually more of a puppy mill. This dog was 2 when I got her and she had never touched grass or run. She's come a long way!

Boxers are great dogs, and I think it is because they are a pretty well kept secret! As I'm sure you've read, most breeds come with a propensity toward some ailment - my Cavaliers are likely to have heart murmurs at some point in their lives. But you don't want to look at the end of the picture before you've seen the first part!

I, too, have a fondness for female dogs. I have had male dogs in the house for a short time (when you work in the business you get to take puppies home to play sometimes!) and my daughter's doxie is a male and absolutely obnoxious. So sorry, but that's just my opinion.

Good luck in your search, Glad to see you here. Let us know what you find!

Critter

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 09:46 PM
Princess in Waiting

P.S.

Be sure to read the post on here about what to look for in a breeder. You can never be too well informed!

Critter

CRITTERCALL

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2002, 12:23 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Did you get the puppy?

My cousin has 2 boxers and they are really well mannered and get along well with other dogs. Hers aren't hyper and she keeps them in the house and takes them in the backyard to play ball.

It's good that you have the Boston first so the pup gets used to the high energy level of the Boston. I raised Bostons for about 12 years...I know what they're like. They NEVER tire from playing ball. I can't tell you how many raquet balls I bought in all the years I've had Bostons. It seems like they'd lose at least 1 ball a month and go through withdrawl if I didn't immediately get them another one. LOL

Rhonda

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 10:47 AM
DanP

Hi again,

Yes, got a male 8-week old Boxer, fawn, last week from an individual. It's been quite a bit of work but I've never had a dog that learns so much so quickly!

Just a great guy all around, his name is "Havoc".

So far the Boston has been slow to accept him, but everyday their brief encounters are a bit more calm, so it should be fine in a few days.

Not hyper but very playfull, and yes, definitely not hyper compared to my wild Boston.

Thanks for the help so far!

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 11:56 AM

I absolutely adore boxers. I have a thing for wrinkly "bull" type dogs to begin with. Boston Terriers are another one of my faves! The two downfalls that I know of with boxers is they have a higher rate of cancer and they tend to be gassy little things lol.

I just recently watched a program how people are starting to catch on to how great they can be as service dogs. They are extremely intelligent and I think a daily walk or jog would be perfect excercise. I think they are more of the type of dog that need more mental stimulation then they need physical. My dogs (they are pit bull mixes) don't want to do anything too active but if they don't have anything to do the little horns come out and they can get a little destructive. So I work on basic obedience and learning tricks. Lots and Lots of toys but most of all lots of attention.

Good luck with your new puppy! You sound like you put a lot of thought in your selection of breed and you shouldn't have any problems.

BTW - WHERE ARE THE PICTURES!!!!!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 06:05 PM
Princess in Waiting

I'm glad you got a new baby. I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with him. But I'll be honest (and remember this is ONLY my opinion!!) I like more calming names! One of my many quirks!

Sounds as though he and the Boston will do fine, and I'm happy for you about that. One of my Cavaliers still isn't too fond of the ShihTzu (the other one is not much better) and I sometimes wonder if I did the right thing in bringing an active puppy in here on top of them.

Pictures, please!!!

Critter

CRITTERCALL

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 09:17 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Congrats on the new puppy! :blob1: :blob2:

Rhonda

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 11:00 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

Congrats on the new puppy.I think Boxer's are great dogs

Tags
boston terrier, cavalier king charles, pit bull, pit bull mix, puppy mill