reggie is making progress - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

reggie is making progress

ok so for those of you who are new or just didn't know i recently adopted a border collie/lab mix. we have had him for about 3mo now and there have been times when i have been so frustrated i thought maybe i had picked the wrong dog and considered giving him back. (my vets office also runs a rescue and that is where he came from so no danger of being put down) but i hung with it and just kept training and training. today reggie went to the door and barked and then went outside and pooped. then when i praised him instead of jumping on me he turned to face me and sat. it was almost as exciting as my kids first steps. i am just beaming with pride right now and i know i picked the right dog he just needs lots of work. he came from a puppy mill so i'm sure they did nothing for him in the first five months of his life before my vets office rescued him and i just need to keep that in mind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 02:40 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Congratulations! That is wonderful!!!
I understand how excited you must be. Training does take time and you should really feel great about hanging in there with him.
I have to get back to the basics with my male doxie - he is getting a little crazy again. He is the one that had the most training and he is also the one that needs the most reinforcement. I am so glad I worked with him so much. Once they "get" it it really only takes a couple of training sessions to remind them!!!

You have inspired me to get back into it with Frank - thanks!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 05:22 PM

That's awesome! Hopefully your success will encourage others to stick with it when it gets frustrating. You know, the instructor for the doggie obedience class my mom took her Westie to would say for EVERYTHING "This will work for everyone except the Westie". What a waste of money. So, Sassy was a doggie school drop-out and mom ended up having to do everything on her own. It's taken 4 years, but the dog is not a complete beast anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathydip
Congratulations! That is wonderful!!!
I understand how excited you must be. Training does take time and you should really feel great about hanging in there with him.
I have to get back to the basics with my male doxie - he is getting a little crazy again. He is the one that had the most training and he is also the one that needs the most reinforcement. I am so glad I worked with him so much. Once they "get" it it really only takes a couple of training sessions to remind them!!!

You have inspired me to get back into it with Frank - thanks!
not a problem!! reggie has inspired me to keep working with him so i know how you feel
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 07:53 AM

Reggie is luck to have you as his mommy.
Elvis is my first dog so I read up a lot on positive reinforcement training. I admit, I slacked off on Elvis's training for a while. but we're back at it. We are half way done with obedience training but honestly, I think I know more about it than the trainer. All she does is give Big cookie treats to get them to do something and we have all small dogs in our class. Their little tummies fill up right away & then they just want to play or nap. I told her my boy is very motivated by toys and play so I use that as a training aid rather than food most of the time. She just keeps at it with the big treats. Her methods are okay but I wish she'd use praise & play more than food. I never used food to teach Elvis Lee to go potty outside - tons & tons of praise did the trick. Now he goes to the door & barks....Good Boy !!
Keep up the good work.

If you are interested in reading these few books are great:

"Dog Tricks For Dummies" by Sarah Hodgson. This book has great obedience training info & is better imho than "Dog Training for Dummies"

for those of us with small furbabies I highly recommend:
"Little Dogs: Training your Pint-Sized Companion" by Deborah Wood. This is a fabulous book which covers all aspects of owning a small dog.

Tags
border collie, dog training, elvis lee, lab mix, obedience training, puppy mill