reggies bad habit - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,240
 
reggies bad habit

my dog has developed a bad habit. he is stealing any and all food he can get. last night i was cooking dinner and he pulled a whole ham off the counter while i was right there. i grabbed it away and firmly scolded him. then later that night i was feeding my son and i had to set the bowl down a couple times and both times he ate the food also while i was right there. i pulled him away and told him NO! but he kept coming back for more. he will take food out of my one year olds hand and if there is a dirty dish in the sink he will stand up and try to take it out of the sink. i am at my wits end b/c no matter what i do it is as if i don't exist whenhe wants the food he wants it. i am feeding him the recommended amount of food plus treats so he's not starving. any words of advice?
sara8 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 06:49 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,154
 
You might try giving him a little more food than the reccomended amount and see if that helps any.
Nara is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 08:12 PM
RAT ADDICT
 
VanillaRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Newfoundland
Age: 35
Posts: 19,199
  
Sorry I have no advice, but he sounds like a real food hound! I know from my experiance with dogs, some like food a little too much!




* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
VanillaRat is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 10:40 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 547
 
maybe try baby gates to keep him out of the kitchen while you are cooking or feeding your son. Maybe after awhile, he will learn that he is not allowed in the kitchen and you won't need the gates.
My dog shadow takes food but he's not that bad. when I'm there he will sit there and drool but if i leave and leave stuff on the counter or table, it's gone when i get back. The one time he did get an apple pie when I set it on the table long enough to put the rest of the stuff in my hands on my bed. I scolded him, but then I had to take a pic because it was my fault for leaving it there. He was starved as a puppy so he still had that mentality that he didn't know where his next meal would come from. He's normally pretty good. He even left me one blueberry muffin out of the 15 he stole the last time he got into food. LOL He's actually gotten a lot better now that he knows I feed him.
Here's that pic I took of him stealing my pie. I took it away from him after I took the pic.
wellahart is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 07:01 PM
RAT ADDICT
 
VanillaRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Newfoundland
Age: 35
Posts: 19,199
  
Haha...awwww...mmmmm pie!




* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
VanillaRat is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 09:27 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 547
 
lol yeah i was laughing so hard it was hard to scold him!

sara8, I hope you find something that works for you. With Shadow it was just time, and learning not to leave anything (even a closed jar of peanut butter) on the counter in his reach. How old is your dog?
wellahart is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,240
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellahart
lol yeah i was laughing so hard it was hard to scold him!

sara8, I hope you find something that works for you. With Shadow it was just time, and learning not to leave anything (even a closed jar of peanut butter) on the counter in his reach. How old is your dog?
reggie is a 6mo. old border collie mix and from everything that i have read 5-6mo old is like a terrible 2's phase so hopefully we will come out of it soon. i have been working on "stay" with a treat right in front of him but not letting him touch it. also i will set food next to me when i am watching T.V. and just keep pushing him away from it and telling him no. it seems like he is starting to get the idea. we just adopted him 3 weeks ago so i'm not to stressed about it--he'll get it.
sara8 is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 11:05 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 547
 
At least he is young enough to be easily broken of bad habits. Shadow was about a year and a half when he came into my life so it was a little bit harder. Glad to hear everything is going good for you.
wellahart is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,240
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellahart
maybe try baby gates to keep him out of the kitchen while you are cooking or feeding your son. Maybe after awhile, he will learn that he is not allowed in the kitchen and you won't need the gates.
My dog shadow takes food but he's not that bad. when I'm there he will sit there and drool but if i leave and leave stuff on the counter or table, it's gone when i get back. The one time he did get an apple pie when I set it on the table long enough to put the rest of the stuff in my hands on my bed. I scolded him, but then I had to take a pic because it was my fault for leaving it there. He was starved as a puppy so he still had that mentality that he didn't know where his next meal would come from. He's normally pretty good. He even left me one blueberry muffin out of the 15 he stole the last time he got into food. LOL He's actually gotten a lot better now that he knows I feed him.
Here's that pic I took of him stealing my pie. I took it away from him after I took the pic.
that by the way is an adorable picture, like when one of my kids is doing something naughty and i know they need to be scolded but all i can do is laugh.
sara8 is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 03:34 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 547
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sara8
that by the way is an adorable picture, like when one of my kids is doing something naughty and i know they need to be scolded but all i can do is laugh.
Thanks. He's a stinker sometimes, but it's hard to yell at him when it's your fault. I mean I knew better than to put the pie on the table. I should have put it on top of the fridge or in the fridge or something. Then again, I did have him get to a box of donuts on top of the fridge once but that was because he teamed up with my roomie's cat! The cat climbed on top of the fridge and threw them down to Shadow while my roomie and I slept. She accused me of leaving the donuts on the table where shadow could get them. so after that....everything was in a cabinet, the fridge, or a drawer. NOthing was ever left out. gotta love when your animals are smarter than you! HAHAHA
wellahart is offline  
Reply

Tags
border collie, border collie mix, collie mix


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome