Renting with a Pit Bull? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Renting with a Pit Bull?

Alrighty... the people that are renting our old house have a Pit Bull... they don't have the insurance which is required on the dog as we just found out. The mail lady said that if anyone is bit and they don't have the insurance they can sue the owner of the house. Does anyone know of any links to look this up? I was going to try and see what to call tomorrow about this, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

:-)
1 rabbit, 6 rats, 1 conure, 1 cockatiel, 1 lovebird, 1 cockroach

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Bracelets, Beads + Supplies!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 07:06 PM

I think they can...personally, I would tell your renters they have X amount of time to acquire the mandatory insurance on the dog or they will be evicted. (this is coming from a pitbull owner who rents) If it is in the lease, they HAVE to have the insurance. BTW, please don't let their oversight keep you from renting to pittie owners in the future. We need a place to live too
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Oh... my parents don't care about the breed, but where the house is there is a lot of people who breed them for quick cash and fighting. It's actually quite sad that they have faught dogs at the park! They originally had a Shar-Pei which died and the only reason we found out about the Pit we seen it while picking up rent. They have 4 kids I believe and walking with a Pit Bull is the cool thing, so I'm kind of worried for the dog. I don't know if they're the kind of people who would even get the insurance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 05:01 AM

I'm with Mandie, I would allow them X amount of time to get insurance on the dog, because if something does happen to where the dog bites somebody (not saying it will happen), you can possibly get sued as well as the owner of the dog.
I would call Animal Control for your area and ask them what the laws are on having to have pet insurance or specific breed insurance, they should be able to let you know if it is required in your area or not, or they can at least direct you to the right person in helping you
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I've never really seen a human aggressive pit bull around there atleast, but I'm going to the vet today, so they should probably know about the law with Pits. From what I've found online it's $50,000 insurance and you must have a 6 foot fence.

Thanks for the replies!

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 12:46 AM

Brittney..if you know people that are fighting their dogs or are involved in anything that horrid..I'm really hoping that you have called the police, animal control, or the humane society? That's a very serious matter, and if you have proof, you could end up helping alot of miserable animals live a happier life.

That's very sad and I hope that you can help them out if you know this crap is going on
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Well, I don't live in the neighborhood anymore, but animal control was called. I didn't ever see any fight at the park, but there's so many hidden areas that it was possible and I had people tell me about it. I think people begin to know how you are once you've said something to them...there was words exchanged when they were talking about it in their backyard. I mean I'd have people tell me how their Pit could tear my GSD up...the 2 houses down that did have Pits got boarded up do to drugs, so after that I didn't know as much. If those people won't keep their dog I really hope I can get it a place.

Tags
animal control, humane society, pit bull