Riley update - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Talking Riley update

My baby girl is 7 months....almost 8 months old! Where has the time gone?!

She used to be a terrible biter and I attributed that to her being deaf. When I first got her she would draw blood and leave huge welts on us. She got over the hard biting after a few weeks but was still biting when she played. Now she only bites on Jeff and it's more or less her putting his hand in her mouth, not really chomping down. We're still working on that!

She has been better about having eye contact with me. That's so important since she can't hear. Last night she went over to the garbage and was sniffing it, then looked at me and I shook my head "no" so she walked away. When she goes into another room and I hear her getting into trouble I obviously have to get up and let her know that she can't be there. I've gotten alot of excercise getting up to see what's she's doing or to tell her no.

I have a 30 foot cable for her when she goes outside, now that she's fully house trained. She gets racing around like a little maniac and it's hilarious, yet sad, to watch because that is the most freedom that she'll ever know outside. She does fairly well with the hand signal for "come" but I'll never feel comfortable just letting her loose outside. If she ever ran off she wouldn't be able to hear me calling for her. At night I use a flashlight to signal her to come back to the door and come inside. She picked up on that almost instantly. The weird thing is, she'll come to the door when I shine the flashlight but inside the house she's actually afraid of the light. My dog is a freak.

She loves to ride in my truck. I have a seat belt/harness for her so she can't jump in my lap while I'm trying to drive. She's a tad bit on the lazy side and won't actually jump up in the truck so I have to lift her chubby butt up there. I'm guessing she's about 55 pounds now.

Since she's already came into heat (I feel horrible about that) I'm waiting until next month to have her spayed. Once she's healed up from that then we should be able to start obedience classes. I feel that we're doing pretty well with my training....she's my first deaf dog so we're kind of stumbling through this together, so it wouldn't hurt to go to the trainer. I feel that we can only benefit from it.

That's about it for my update. I'll try to get some pics up later this week. I, personally, can't see her growing anymore but a friend that visited last week commented on how much she had grown and it had been about 6 weeks since he saw her last.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 01:13 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

wow scarlette it sounds like things are going great for you two.
I can understand you feeling sad about her not having free run but you know, if it's all she knows, then she really doesn't know what she is missing out on. Can't miss what you don't know kinda thing.
The trainer will be great for you guys I'm sure! You'll have to keep us updated on how that goes...and yes pictures are a must!!!!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

Ya, but I feel bad when she sees Scarlette (my doberman) running around in the barnyard with me when I feed the horses. Poor little Riley sits there at the end of her cable and watches us with sad eyes. I'm sure she knows that she "could" run loose but never has.

Rhonda

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 01:19 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

omg, where has the time gone? i miss pics of little riley!! i can't wait to see her again!!
55 lbs?! chunker butt! LOL!
sounds like she is smart as a whip! obedience class is going to be fun because she is smart.
about the being loose thing - do you have a backyard for her? or do you know someone with one? also, have you considered getting her a vibrating collar thingie? maybe you can combine the vibrating feeling with the 'come' command.

keep us updated! i just love little riley!!!!!

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 01:20 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Definitely a must, missy!

I'm so glad to hear she's doing well. What a smart girl she sounds like!!

Stephanie

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

I have a backyard but it's not fenced in. I bought a 10x10 outdoor kennel for her to use in the summer time. She enjoys being outside when it's sunny. She LOVES to dig and get her ears full of dirt.

She seems to have alot of fun on that new cable, but it's just not the same as being able to run free in the back yard.

I've thought about trying a vibrating collar but I'm just nervous about her running off. The thought of her getting lost makes me sick to my stomach....so I guess we're stuck with leashes, cables, and confinement. I guess I would rather be sad about her not being able to run free than to be sad about her getting lost.

If I ever get my own house then I would gladly spend the money for a fenced in back yard.

Rhonda

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2004, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

EEK! I posted this 2 weeks ago and still haven't taken pics. My digital camera is a POS! I take one pic and the battery goes dead. Then I try to plug it in but I'm tethered to the wall which doesn't work when trying to chase an active dog for pics. I should've asked for a new digital camera for Christmas! I keep telling myself to take my regular camera with me when we go to Jeff's house. I could get some really cute ones of them cuddled up together on the couch.

A new update.....Riley is finally jumping up into the truck on her own. It was -5 here today and the truck was warmed up. She hopped her chubby butt right up there and out of the cold. Who knew that the weather could be such a great training tool?

Rhonda