Riley's traumatizing vet visit - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Angry Riley's traumatizing vet visit

I took Riley to the vet for another set of shots today. She weighs a whopping 32 pounds! She gained 15 pounds since last month.

The vet tech wanted to clean Riley's ears....ya, they're a little dirty from digging in the dirt but I just wiped them out after her bath this morning. It wasn't like they were nasty dirty. Well Riley threw a fit and wouldn't be still for it. She hates her ears being cleaned. I was holding her on the table, practically laying on top of her holding her still and the tech broke a Q-tip off in Riley's ear! And then she went back after Riley with more Q-tips and broke off another one. I said "Ok, I don't think this is really a good idea. I know she's already deaf but I don't need her ear drums punctured by Q-tips not to mention she's really upset about all of this and it's not worth traumatizing her!" I was really ticked off! The tech was snotty and said "Well, they're dirty and she'll get an infection." I said "I'd rather her get an infection from dirt than from punctured ear drums!" Sheesh!

Riley pouted all the way home and now she won't even look at me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 11:36 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

Awww poor Riley!! I hate techs like that. UGH

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 11:37 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'm amazed they even let you restrain her. It's a liability for us if a client gets bitten during a procedure, even if by their own dog.

I'm glad she's healthy and what a chunk!! 32 pounds already!!

Stephanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 11:40 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Aweee poor Riley....wow they used a Q-tip?? I haven't seen those used on a dog or cat in years, although everywhere is different....... Glad to hear she is okay otherwise

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 11:44 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

poor baby!!!

they only use cotton balls at my vets. also, they never let me restrain her cause of the liability.

i'm sorry she didn't have a good time. she'll be ok soon though!!

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 11:46 AM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Aww...Poor Riley! I'm surprised they let you restrain her too! My vet says it's a liability if owners get bit during a proceedure too and I'm really surprised they used Q-tips! I thought that was a big no no!

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I always hold my pets when we go to the vet. I think it's more upsetting for them to be restrained by someone they don't know. If they're going to bite at least they're biting me. What am I going to do? Sue myself? I've never been asked to step back for someone else to restrain them. I've been using the same vet for 16 years. She knows me. Heck, she even asked me to go on a farm call with her to one of my friend's houses because my friend doesn't restrain her horse at all while it gets it's vaccinations. That horse goes nuts every time it sees a needle.

I was ticked off because that tech didn't need to be digging so deep in her ear. Doctors will tell you not to use Q-tips in your own ears so why would they use them on dogs? It just packs the dirt in deeper! She should've just put in the cleaning solution and wiped them out with a cotton ball.

Rhonda

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 03:31 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Oh no! Poor sweetie. I hope that tech learns to be more polite and do a better job.

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 04:10 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Aww, poor girl

I hold mine some of the time at the vet. Like when I had my chihuahua, I HAD to hold her because she was super snappy and didn't like anyone but me holding her. I held my Shep/Collie when they gave him shots. When they clip my dogs nails they hold them though.

:-)
1 rabbit, 6 rats, 1 conure, 1 cockatiel, 1 lovebird, 1 cockroach

- Bracelets, Beads + Supplies!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 04:30 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Q-tips can be safely used by someone that has knowledge of the shape of the dogs ear canal. Obviously after breaking off the first q-tip that tech should of quit.

I'm a tech and honestly most people don't hold their dogs properly for the vet to examine them. Our job is to prevent the vet from being bitten. It sounds terrible but the practice can go on with an injured tech but not an injured vet. We all understand that and it goes along with the job.

Do I care, as a tech, what a dogs ears look like when they come into the office? Heck no! I leave that decision making up to the vet.

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 04:49 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Poor Riley!!!

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 10:57 PM
Miss New Booty

Oh no! Poor Riley girl! What a tramatizing day!
Give her a head scratch from me!
We also sometimes hold our cats/dogs at the vets. The cats really don't like going to the vets. They seem more comfortable with us right there, holding them.

~* Jackie *~

Tags
vet tech