Rocky... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Rocky...

You guys remember how Rocky was possesive with the rawhide? Well, lately he's been possisive with toys and food also. He won't let our other dog eat because he thinks all the food is his. He growls if you approach him when he has a toy. He's also been finding ways to get attention such as by urinating inside, stealing stuff (socks, shoes, gloves, hats, etc.), and tearing apart papers. He's never been like this before and not only does he snap at me but he just snapped at my brother a few minutes ago because my brother took a napkin from him. He has never shown ANY signs of aggression before, not even growling. And he's always been a bit of an attention-seeker but not this bad. All this behaviour has started after getting a second dog...I'm beginning to think getting him a companion was a mistake . Please help!

Note: He's a 1.5 year-old male nutered mini-dachshund.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 05:05 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Sounds like Rocky feels he is in charge and that he is dominant over you and the other dog and he is trying to show that by being aggressive as he's trying to put you in your place below him in the pecking order. I think that you should take his toys away from him for a start and only allow him to have them when you say so to show that you are in charge and always reward any good behaviour and frown upon anything he does that is wrong, maybe try using a clicker so he will associate the click with good behaviour and a treat (then gradually cut the treat out) and then hopefully he will learn that its wrong to snap and good to be a nice friendly little dog

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Last edited by Amethystbelle; 02-10-2005 at 05:11 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle
Sounds like Rocky feels he is in charge and that he is dominant over you and the other dog and he is trying to show that by being aggressive as he's trying to put you in your place below him in the pecking order. I think that you should take his toys away from him for a start and only allow him to have them when you say so to show that you are in charge and always reward any good behaviour and frown upon anything he does that is wrong, maybe try using a clicker so he will associate the click with good behaviour and a treat (then gradually cut the treat out) and then hopefully he will learn that its wrong to snap and good to be a nice friendly little dog
Ok, thanks. He's a very dominant dog. I'll have to try some of those things.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."