rocky - neighbors' dog - update - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

rocky - neighbors' dog - update

well, i finally called the police and they transferred me to animal control. i reported my neighbors. this is what happened...

so today, i am outside, messing around with the dogs and i'm giving them treats. so i go get one for rocky (i always do). i peek over the fence and see him. he's laying down (odd for him) and so i throw him a dog cookie. he barely gets up and sniffs it, and then lies back down. so i go get the camera and get a couple shots to post on here...to see what you guys think. well, while i'm taking those pics, i notice that rocky isn't getting up to greet me or bark (like usual). so i exit my yard and go over to the 2 foot baby gate (only thing seperating him from the front yard/street) and reach over to pet him. i can't reach too much, so i call him. normally, he would be running and freaking out happy. nothing. so i call him about 5 times to get him to come over closer and i look at his gums, and they are a little on the white side. i also noticed that his pelvic bones are sticking out a little more. he DOES have food and water, though. so i take some more pics, trying not to get caught by the neighbors, etc. (he still has no rabies tag, etc). then he just plops back down. it seemed like an effort for him to even stand up. he had no shelter either (that i could see). i don't know if he has access to the house...but i don't think so. so i called it in. i'm going to post some pics here. you guys tell me what you think of his body weight, etc. (hope these pics work...)

here he is at first:

here's his food and water:

here's his body:

like i said, it just seemed so hard for him to get up and walk. like his back legs were weak. his weight isn't too bad. i just think there was a slight difference to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

well, i just went out there and peeked over the fence again. rocky actually got up and ran to the fence and barked a few times. do you guys think i was too hasty? i still think that they need to come (for the shots, shelter, etc). but he doesn't look as bad. but who knows.

what do you guys think?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 02:30 PM
Newborn Pup

Well it seems like he is a little on the skinny side, but he needs shelter. Your neighbors can get into trouble for that. I don't think you are being hasty at all. Your just concerned, as I would be as well.

*-Sarah-*

**UPDATE** Newest addition: Ike! 2 1/2 year old Siberian Husky!

2 Cats - Marbles & Cindy; 1 Kitten - Tags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 02:47 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Look at that sweet face! I missed the previous posts about Rocky. Is he a puppy? Poor baby. Do they ever play with him? It seems odd that he was so hesitant to get up and seemed to lack energy. Only if they were playing with him a lot beforehand and he was exhausted would I say this is normal. He could be loaded with worms. This would sap his energy too depending on what kind. Any chance they are kicking him?

It is so difficult when they aren't out and out abusing him. The law says food, water and shelter (which looks like they need to provide). Unfortunately there is no law demanding that they love the puppy Why do people like this even bother to get a dog?

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 03:53 PM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

I can't see the pictures, just a red X - but I can tell from your description he's not well cared for.
I was told that if I feel an animal is being mistreated, by law, I have the right to go get that animal, care for it myself or turn it over to someone who will. Our dog warden told me that when I had him come out and look at a neighbor's dog a few years back. Told me that since it had water and shelter, there was nothing he could do - but since it was apparent it wasn't well taken care of - I myself could do something. Dunno if that's just in Ohio ??
It's good you're keeping an eye on him - and I don't think you're being too hasty at all - best to take care of him now than wait till he gets really bad.

Sharon
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

ctchin - yes, he is a puppy. they won't neuter him cause they want to breed him. so sad.
they totally neglect him. never play with him, greet him, etc. i feel so sorry for him.
one of the kids wanted a dog, a neighbor had puppies...you know what happened.

when i first moved to this house, i tried really getting through to the kids. i knew the dad was a lost cause. (i will just post the original thread link in a reply).

anyways - i know they don't kick him. i would be able to hear everything. i know they aren't like that. they just neglect him cause they don't know any better and choose not to change (not to offend - but i live in kind of a poor, mexican neighborhood. the parents don't speak english, etc.).

i have put this off for 1.5 months...so i think it was about time to call...

ok...i'll post that link now.

Last edited by Formula86; 07-12-2004 at 04:00 PM.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

well, the thread is so old that i can't find it. but i think everyone gets the picture.

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 04:45 PM
Eli
Movin' Up in the Pack

it's awful, I know somo e ne who has a pomeraneian, who is kept on a leash. a 30 foot leash, but the on ly time they are outside with it is if they are smoking. The puppy is always glad to see me, a sweet little thing. but ram buncious, as a puppy is. This is their second dog, first one was a pit-bull, something mix. They got rid of it, be cause they didn't have time to take care of it. And the mother who let them move in, didn't have time, as she had a job, and had to take care of h er other kids. Both these dogs, end up in my f riends h ouse every day, The pit, when they still had her. The puppy is a lways out side, when no one is even home!!
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 08:06 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Unfortunatly I can't see the pictures, but it doesn't sound good. I don't think you over-reacted at all. I hope that something happens to help this poor dog.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

hmmm...i wonder why you guys can't see the pics. they are on photobucket and they have been having some problems...oh well.

anyways, (i meant to post this earlier), the neighbors were gone when the officer came. i basically repeated everything i posted above plus a very quick background of the past month to the officer. he went and looked at rocky and the yard, etc. he left them a written note on the front door. the mom got back soon after, but she can't speak english. i'm sure the dad got home and got the note. so we'll see. hmm...

post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 11:29 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

O, I see them now! He does look a little thin. I'm sure it's much more noticable in person. I hope that the note has a positive effect on his care.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 03:33 PM
Playful Pup

His poor little face looks so sad! I don't think you were too hasty in calling at all...neglect is a very real form of abuse! Why can't some people get it through their heads that animals have feelings, emotions, personalities, just like people?!? A dog should be a valued member of the family, and who would leave a member of the family in the backyard, with a dish of food and water, but no contact?!? Good for you for helping the little guy as best you can, and hopefully, soon, he might be able to have some happiness. Please keep updating cuz these stories tug at my heart, waiting for a happy ending!!
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

thanks guys. i didn't think i was being too hasty. like i said, all of this has been going on for over a month (that i know of).

unfortunately, i just don't see rocky getting that great a life at this house. i just think they'll do the bare minimum and then breed him for puppies. i hate those neighbors! ugh!

but thanks again for the supportive words everyone.

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 02:43 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thats so sad. Poor Rocky. I'm glad you are there to at least give him a little attention and some treats. I feel so bad for dogs that have to stay outside like that.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 02:33 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Why in the world do they want to breed him? Is he purebred, do they think they will make money? He looks kind of like a Chi, but I'm not sure.

It's just silly and irresponsible to think you have the right to produce puppies for the **** of it or just because you think it's a way to make extra money when there are hundreds of puppies sent to pounds every day because people don't want them.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

Tags
animal control, animal rescue, animal shelter, crate training, humane society, pet owner, rat terrier, water bowl