Rottweiler question... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Rottweiler question...

So heres the deal:

I'm a 20-year-old girl, and I intend to move out in the fall, probably around september-october, dependinf if and when i get a second job.

For as long as I can remember I've wanted a rott, they're my favourite breed, and ive had two rott mixes in the past, one was a rottie/doberman female and the other was a lab/golden retriver/rott male. Both were amazing dogs, and ive dealt with both male and female purebreds, baby sat them for neighbours and such.

Now my issue is that I'll be moving into an apartment. I was wondering if an apartment is too small for a rottweiler, even if it gets enough exercise?

Also, I'm going to try and get one from a rescue, hopefully one that is house-trained already.

Any suggestions, comments or info would be greatly appreciated. And by the way, YES i do understand the costs that come with dogs, I've got 3 at the moment that i help take care of
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 01:54 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

Hmm, I personally think that it would be too small, because you probably wouldn't have a huge yard either. Rottweilers are too big.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 02:06 AM
User Is No Longer Welcome

They can live in Apartments with no problems as long as you exercise them every single day. If they don't get enough exercise, as with all dogs, they can become destructive out of boredom. I lived in a small condo a few years ago with 2 pit bulls and a rottie. I don't work, so it was no problem for me to take them out several times a day. A walk around the block once a day is not enough exercise for them, they need to be able to run, especially if they are young. This is just my opinion, from my experiences. It is possible, you just need to decide if you will have enough time for a Rottie, when you have 2 jobs. Good luck. Let us know what you decide!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 10:00 AM
Playful Pup

Rottie / sure you can have one in an apartment!

Yes - You can have the rottie in your apartment but you must give this kid lots of daily attention and exercise.
Try to find an apartment that is pet friendly and has Walking trails or a Park Near the apt.
This will work if you are commited to the Exercise and Love your Rottie will need.
GREAT that you want to rescue one that is already an adult or almost an adult...
Good for you..
BEST wishes

Marie Peppers / Ask the Pet Nurse

Hi - If you need help with home-cooking dog /cat food recipes - I can help: Also, NuVET supplements..
Just ask -

Want a sample of the NuVET allergy blaster?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 10:15 AM
Adolescent Pup

Because you are moving into a apartment you are going to have a hard time finding a complex that will allow you to have a dog over 50 pounds, let alone a Rottweiler. Many apartment complexes have breed restrictions (I know from experience)

Also, having two jobs might not be the best position to have a dog. Are you going to work both jobs everyday? When are you going to have time to take this dog out for exercise? I quick stroll around the block will not be sufficient for a Rott. My two Rotties expect at the very least a 30 minute walk every day and I also take them to the dog park 3-4 times a week for at least 2 hours.

I'm not trying to be a buzz kill or talk you out of getting a dog, just please seriously consider your lifestyle and the time and energy you are going to have to commit on top of two jobs, paying your own bills, dog food, shots, people food etc. Is a Rottie who is a big dog that needs big space that eats alot of food really right for you at this point in your life? I know my two Rotts would be heartbroken if we had to move somewhere with no backyard.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 02:34 PM
Hello Earthling

Sure you can have one in an apartment assuming for can find one that will let you keep a rotti. But with two jobs you might find it too tireing and difficult to get in walks and play time

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Hey guys!

Thanks for all the super advice, but for now I'm not gonna get a rottie, I'll wait until I know for sure I'll have the time for one.

That and the apartment I'm possibly moving into doesn't allow dogs xD

Bijou,
Zacky,
Billie,
Sammy,
Tiger,
Nigel,
Mickey,
Jersey.

Tags
moving, rottweiler