Ruff justice or what? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

View Poll Results: Do you think its right to stop the dog?
Yes 2 12.50%
No 14 87.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Ruff justice or what?

Ruff Justice: Campaign to Get Post Dog Back

http://cdn.digitalcity.com/aoluk_art...02011-400cb8e1

Banned: Andrew Jamieson will have to do his rounds without Oscar

Dog-loving residents have banded together with a petition to get their postie's pooch back on his round.

Royal Mail bosses have banned Staffordshire bull terrier Oscar from joining Andrew Jamieson as he delivers mail in Tynemouth, North Tyneside, after a customer complained that he wasn't kept on a lead.

Click for the rest of the article:
http://channels.aolsvc.co.uk/news/ar...23071409990010

Last edited by Jade; 02-25-2005 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Making thread copyright law compliant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 03:47 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I personally can't see a problem with it as he wasn't harming anyone but i can see why someone might have complained as the dog was off the lead all the time so i could see a small problem with that especially amongst some of the older generation etc.... but on a whole he was bringing joy to the community and there is nothing wrong with that and his owner offered to put him on a lead afterall but i don't know

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Red face

I dont have a problem either, as you said Kirsty it was probably an older person.. Just look at the doggies face though, he is so cute!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 04:38 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Its just a shame that one busy body has to ruin it for everyone else, i think we should live and let live and the dog wasn't hurting anyone and he was bringing joy to peoples lives, will be interesting to see what the petition achieves

Kirsty

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 05:07 PM

I really hope they can get the dog back on his rounds. It's so stupid that one bad person can ruin a wonderful thing. I mean, if my mailman had a dog I'd be waiting for the mail everyday!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 05:12 PM

Totally wrong. I could see it if he did something wrong, but he didn't. They should leave that adorable doggy alone so he can do his rounds.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 08:40 PM

I wish I had a Mail Dog instead of the crazy people who bring my mail. Seriously, he should be allowed to take his pup with him. He obviously brought alot of joy to peoples lives.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 12:13 AM
Adolescent Pup

Why stop him? He's never offered to harm anyone and is -obviously- a wonderful advocate for the bull breeds!!
I would sign the petition in a heartbeat myself.
Makes me think of the thread in Rants about the old ladies with their biting little monsters that 'everyone' thinks are 'adorably protective'. But let a loving, friendly dog of a bull breed bring a few smiles to peoples faces? God forbid.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 01:18 AM

Oscar should definetly be allowed to continue- 1 bad person can ruin it all
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 06:54 AM
Curmudgeon

I'll take the opposite opinion here. I think that unless he is on a lead he shouldn't go. Too many unpredictable things can happen. And if a bad thing happens when a Staffie is around, it's going to reflect on the the dog. I think for the dog's protection, it's a bad idea.

For example:
Mail carriers are often attacked by unrestrained dogs. What would happen if one of them happened along while Oscar was there? In an incident like that, Oscar would win ...handily (and the other dog most likely dead). Who do you think would be the bad guy? Oscar, of course.

I don't think novelty of having him in his cute suit is worth the risk of the bad PR that could result. Staffies don't need it right now.

Just my two cents...

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 10:06 AM
Adolescent Pup

My position was based on the fact that the dog was forbidden to go even if on a lead, as the owner had -offered- to do. That was the complaint filed...that he wasnt on a lead. Why wouldnt that solve the issue?
I would think (hope) that his owner is aware of the animals on his route and the fact that there has been no problem with fighting as of yet certainly indicates there probably (nothing is certain) wouldnt be, since the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior.
I agree that Staffies dont need the bad press, but keeping them confined to their own yards/homes is only going to make the problem worse instead of solving it. The only way people are going to learn the joys of these breeds instead of the horrors that the press publish is for good owners of these dogs to take them out and -show- people what wonderful pets they are.
Just 2 more cents from someone who is partial to these breeds. lol
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 10:53 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygala
I'll take the opposite opinion here. I think that unless he is on a lead he shouldn't go. Too many unpredictable things can happen. And if a bad thing happens when a Staffie is around, it's going to reflect on the the dog. I think for the dog's protection, it's a bad idea.

For example:
Mail carriers are often attacked by unrestrained dogs. What would happen if one of them happened along while Oscar was there? In an incident like that, Oscar would win ...handily (and the other dog most likely dead). Who do you think would be the bad guy? Oscar, of course.

I don't think novelty of having him in his cute suit is worth the risk of the bad PR that could result. Staffies don't need it right now.

Just my two cents...

I think you have hit the nail on the head there or so to speak as staffies do have a bad reputation especially over here in the UK as been a lot of reports of staffies attacking kids etc... (although i think the owners and children are mainly at fault a lot of the time plus since pitbulls have been banned over here attention has turned to their nearest relation the staffie) so i agree that if something bad did happen the staffie would assumably get the blame even if he's innocent but i don't see a problem if the postie offers to keep him on a lead as the good points of him being there out weigh the bad easily as he was bringing a lot of happiness to peoples lives!

Kirsty

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 11:00 AM

It is the law in most places that dogs in public need to be on a lead... I don't think we can safely begin picking and choosing which dogs that rule does not apply to... even our wisest of wise working dogs work on leads more oft than not when in public places. Personally, I believe it's safer for the dog that way...

With that said -- I FIRMLY BELIEVE Oscar should be allowed to help deliver the mail! What a great exercise routine for the dog and what wonderful work he'd be doing keeping the postman happy (we all know how important that is lol).
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 01:57 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicOlio
It is the law in most places that dogs in public need to be on a lead... I don't think we can safely begin picking and choosing which dogs that rule does not apply to... even our wisest of wise working dogs work on leads more oft than not when in public places. Personally, I believe it's safer for the dog that way...
Over here in the UK though we have no laws to say as far as i know that dogs must be on a lead in public places so the postman is within his rights but i do believe the dog should be on a lead and allowed to continue his rounds

Kirsty

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyStaffies
My position was based on the fact that the dog was forbidden to go even if on a lead, as the owner had -offered- to do. That was the complaint filed...that he wasnt on a lead. Why wouldnt that solve the issue?
I would think (hope) that his owner is aware of the animals on his route and the fact that there has been no problem with fighting as of yet certainly indicates there probably (nothing is certain) wouldnt be, since the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior.
I agree that Staffies dont need the bad press, but keeping them confined to their own yards/homes is only going to make the problem worse instead of solving it. The only way people are going to learn the joys of these breeds instead of the horrors that the press publish is for good owners of these dogs to take them out and -show- people what wonderful pets they are.
Just 2 more cents from someone who is partial to these breeds. lol
I totally agree with this...after all, most of the complaints about bully breeds have to do with bad PR due to a few irresponsible owners as well as the ignorant who know nothing about how a true bully breed behaves. I agree the dog should indeed be leashed but in all honesty, for Oscar to have a job like this means he continues to be socialized on a regular basis and I think he's an ambassador to the bully breeds. It's jobs like these that keep the dogs from turning into "statistics"
A true bully is a happy-go-lucky love bug that can be dopey and clumbsy at times, but in essence loves life and loves people. It's like when Kim and Darren came over the other night, neither Kali nor Orion were concerned in any way, shape, or form and took to them right away. Within 30 seconds of meeting my dogs, Darren was wrestling with them and all were having a good time! The only damage that was done was when Orion got too excited and ran his butt into the glass door of the entertainment center and smashed it Statistics say, it's the other end you have to worry about but in reality, any bully owner will tell you the back end is more deadly then the front
Oscar should most definetly be allowed to return to his rounds on a leash. After all, how different would it be if the owner was delivering his mail or just walking his dog? I understand that the liability would fall on the mail system if something were to happen, however he's indeed proved himself to be an asset, not a liability.

Tags
bull terrier, bully breeds, staffordshire bull terrier, wonderful pets