Sad But Wonderful Story - Please Read (Photos), - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
User Is No Longer Welcome

Unhappy Sad But Wonderful Story - Please Read (Photos),

She was an institution in the neighborhood, Mary was. For the past few decades people saw her and her labs taking long walks - first Raven, and then Jerry whom she got as a puppy, A yellow Labrador Retriever was Jerry, and Mary shared a bond with her even more special than with Raven; she was Mary's "soul mate", as she told me, "a special gift from God". The dog gave as much back to Mary as she got from her, and both their well-beings benefitted.

We all loved Jerry, and worried as she aged and it became harder and harder to walk; harder to even get up on her arthritic legs and hips. By then she was 14.

In January of 2004, on a cold Winter day, a forlorn and lost-looking Mary was seen walking alone on the street. She told me Jerry was euthanized a few days before, dying in her arms, and that this was Mary's gift to her - peace from the pain. We cried together.

For a few months I encouraged her to adopt or rescue a new lab; finally, she did, and Charly came into her life, rescued from a possible sentence to the pound; his elderly owners were no longer capable of caring for him. He was then a seven year old very calm black fellow who eventually adjusted nicely to living in a new place. The sight of Mary and Charlie became almost as familair to the neighborhood as that of her and Raven or Jerry.

In the early morning of October 11th in the rain tragedy struck - Mary was killed by a car, and an unhurt Charly stood by her until police led him away. Newspapers photos show him looking forlornly at his dying owner.

At the wake were many photos and other tributes to her dogs: a "thank you" letter from Raven, and a life-size floral "statue" of Charly. The funeral
mass featured a painting of Jerry resting on her casket, while Jerry's ashes rested inside with Mary, as she wanted. The priest felt quite sure they were all reunited, she, Raven, and Jerry.

Charly is in good hands now, rescued, and awaiting a home. He had a tough time, but a loving place awaits somewhere.

No better example could exists of the deep love, and symbiotic relationship, between a human caretaker and those four-legged wonders in her care. Mary had always dreamed of going with Charly to Best Friends' Animal Society in Utah, where they have a sanctuary and residence. There she could have tended to all the animals she loved, including horses. Too bad that never worked out in her abbreviated life. Maybe there is a similar place in Heaven for her, Jerry and Raven.

This is not a memorial and does not belong in the Pet Loss forum, especially as Charly is fine. It is a tribute to the mutual love beteen a dog and his owner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 02:31 PM
Adolescent Pup

Thats such a sad yet happy story
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 05:13 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Aww...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 05:18 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Oh my I am in tears.. It justs shows the bond between human and pet can be so strong!

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 05:44 PM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

that is sad i hope the dog can find a new home

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

He will. Long Island Labrador Retriever Rescue has him for now.

P.S. Mary has that black eye as she tripped once soon after getting Charly while walking him.

Last edited by Zouave; 10-24-2005 at 09:27 PM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Oh yes, here is that painting of Jerry mentioned above.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 11:40 PM
Part of the Pack

God bless Mary and I hope Charly gets a great home.

My wonderful loves:
Emma, Xavier, SweetPea, Mr. Pickles, Mary Beth, Sheldon,Zena,Cadbury,Kapuah,Walter,Lou,Chip, Dilbert, Cartman, Gessepi,Miranda, Henry & Riker (my chins)/ Bunny, Little Cat,Clarissa (cats) , Lucy & Grace (Dappled Doxies) Simon (GSD puppy), Cookie (Australian Shepherd puppy), Captain Jack (cockatiel)
Bella Chinchillas
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 03:43 AM Thread Starter

Some updated photos:

RIGHT HERE
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 08:29 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplebunny
Oh my I am in tears.. It justs shows the bond between human and pet can be so strong!
Indeed

:-)
1 rabbit, 6 rats, 1 conure, 1 cockatiel, 1 lovebird, 1 cockroach

- Bracelets, Beads + Supplies!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 06:30 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

A very touching story. Thanks for sharing. May Mary Rest in Peace and I hope Charly finds a good home.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 12:23 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Dude, that sucks... I hope Charly gets the kind of home he deserves.. My sympathy goes out for Mary's family and friends.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

I will keep you posted on Charlie. He'll be fine.

This came in today from the relatives - the floral arrangement from the wake. When I first saw it I thought Charlie had also been killed! Not so.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

THE STORY GETS WEIRD. . .

Today I went to interview a person wanting to adopt Charlie. Although she seemed responsible, caring, and her place neat and roomy, she. . . get this. . . appeared in a motorized wheel chair, with an oxygen tank and tubes in her nose, NO LEGS, and one arm!! I am NOT kidding. Why she wants a big strong 100 pound lab I do not know.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 04:43 PM
Adolescent Pup

Strange

Tags
labrador retriever, yellow lab