Sadie - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Beanie Fanatics Anonymous Member

Talking Sadie

Here's Sadie! She is a Basset Hound/Fiest mix. I am going to give her to Jake for Christmas. She is about months old, and weighs 25 pounds. She is so sweet. Yet still very timid. I am a pinch worried, cause she's not eating much. And every now and again she will throw up what looks like just a pile of doggie slobber. So I'm not sure. If anyone knows how I can get her to eat, please let me know. Of if you know why she's spitting. But her she is...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I Love You Logan & Cledus!!!

Logan Indy Ping-Pong Pinkerton Gissa Cledus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Here's another...

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

And one more...(for now)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 02:29 PM
Miss New Booty

OH MY! SHE is ADORABLE!!!! Have you taken her to the vet for a check up yet? What kind of food is she eating? How long have you had her now.. I know, I know, I'm asking alot, I am just trying to figure out why she would be doing that. Maybe the food is upsetting her tummy and /or she doesn't like it? Have you tried another food at all? She is soooo cute!!! How big will she get?? Love that name too!

~* Jackie *~

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Thank-you! I almost don't want to give her to him.
No I have not taken her to the vet. But she has been wormed, and her previous owner had her to get the frist set of shots.
I got her Thursday.
She is eating the same kind of food that she had at her other home, and I even tired soft dog food.
I'm not completely sure how big she will get.
But I called the vet, and said to give her Peptobismal (that's probably spelled wrong, but you know the stuff it's pink, and you take it when your tummy hurts ) I gave her some a while ago, and she drank a bunch of water. I have not seen her go to the bathroom. And she threw up a second ago, and it was yellow.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 03:00 PM
Miss New Booty

Awww you don't wanna give her to Jake! I wouldn't either, she is tooo cute! Hmmm, how old is she...

"She is about months old, and weighs 25 pounds." I think the number of months old got left out..

What kind of food is it? Hmmm, this is weird. It sounds like she really isn't fond of that food. But she could just be getting used to everything in her new surroundings. And she wouldn't go for any soft/canned at all?!? Hmm, my dogs will always go for that. Do you have an appt set up for her? This doesn't sound right.. She might just be excited and nervous since you just got her, but getting sick part is what worries me. Yes, peptobismol would be good. Since you said she hasn't gone to the bathroom yet, I would keep a close eye on when she goes, to look for anything abnormal. Did u rescue her? Did they give you paperwork with her?
Is it possible she got into something? Was it all clear/yellowlike? Maybe she drank her water too fast.. that has happened to Jasmine before, since you said she just drank alot? Awww I hope she feels better, that little sweetie!

~* Jackie *~

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 03:34 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

awww! She looks so sweet!!

Just because the previous owner said the dog had been wormed - she made very well need another worming. Worms can cause all the symptoms you've described including the "bile" looking vomit.

I am repeating Jackie's questions now How old is she? Did the previous owner give you her vet records? Do you know what shots she has had and what she is due for? I'd schedule an appointment right away and get her in to see the vet ASAP.

Sure-fire way to get a pup to eat - fry up some hamburger meat - drain all the fat from it with paper towels- mix a couple of tablespoons of the hamburger meat with a couple of tablespoons of cottage cheese. If she has any diarrhea - you can add a couple tablespoons of canned pumpkin. Not pie filling - just pumpkin. It has lots of fiber and it is very good for the digestive tract. Plus is has lots of vitamins and minerals. Don't give too much at one time - just a few tablespoons - see how she handles it.

Good Luck with her! She's such a cutie! I hope you get to the root of her tummy troubles and it turns out to be something easy to remedy.

[center]

[
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 03:47 PM
Miss New Booty

Opps I forgot about the hamburger meat!! Wow, I didn't know about the pumpkin and cottage cheese Linda? Interesting. Yes, I meant to add, Smokie had been *dewormed* when we got him, and 1 week later we rushed to the vet, we saw one and sure enough, he had worms. He was a 9 week old kitten, so most likely they came from the mama cat, but I don't know how old Sadie is.

~* Jackie *~

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 04:20 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Such a cute pup! I bet you do want to keep her. I like basset hounds! They are so cute.

The pup should've been wormed on a set schedule depending on wormer brand and what it "kills". Plus she should've gotten a series of vaccines depending on her age. At four months she can be tested for heartworms and put on prevention. The different preventatives handle different worms.

You should definatley take her to the vet soon with all the vomiting she could get dehydrated quickly.

I hope that she is feeling better soon and that you have a great xmas!

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

She is 6 months old! Sorry I forgot that! Well she seems to be doing better. I think she just needed some fresh air, she's outside with Cledus now, and they are playing.
It was clear/yellowlike the last time she threw up. But she is still drinking, she has not threw up since she's been outside.
The previous owner did not give me the vet records. And I have not made a vet appt.
I wil try that recipe if she doesn't start eating.
Thanks!

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 09:42 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

about the throwup. when my dog chaquita had kennel cough, she would cough up yellow/clear foamy boogery stuff. flem like. is she coughing it up or throwing it up?
btw- cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute dog!
also, hand feeding might help her eat. some dogs will only eat out of certain bowls. but if you hand feed her it might help.
i'd make a vet appt. asap! no matter where you get them from, you should always take em to the vet right away if for nothing other than to get established.
she seems like a sweetie! more pics!

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Deja, it worked! She's eating!! Thank you so much. I am going to get her wormed later today.
Formula- I'm not really sure to call it throwing up or choughing it up. It's weird. She stand there, and breaths really hard and then hacks up that stuff. It's gross!
But the good news it- She's going pee, she has not hacked up any nasty stuff today, and she's eating!!!!!!!! I think she's going to ok!
She's been following me around the house wanting to know everything that I'm doing. She's been wagging her little tail!
I was in the shower this morning, and I had her in the bathroom, so I knew where she would be when I got out, and she jumped into the shower with me! So I gave her another bath, which she really enjoyed.
Thank-you again Deja for that recipe! She loves it.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 11:24 AM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

I hope she feels better,s he si adorable!

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 11:35 PM
Miss New Booty

I am so glad she is feeling better!!!! That's great news!!! Jake is gonna be so excited!!!! I can't wait to see more pics!

~* Jackie *~

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 08:10 AM
Newborn Pup

I just wanted to add that is your doggie doesnt go poop soon you need to get to the vet asap.
Not eating , throwing up bile after you eat or drink and not pooping is a sign that she has an intestinal blockage.
I hope thats not what it is and that she just had a tummy ache let us know.

Perrigirl

The boys: Spud,Hamilton,Periwinkle
:bouncey:

Tags
basset hound, dog food, kennel cough