Sasha our Rescue - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Poo dont scare me!!!

Sasha our Rescue

Welp, like the title says...Josh and I rescued a dog. Its a long story...so here goes...

The other day, Josh came home from work, saying how a buddy of his was telling him about how his father-in-law had a pitbull/boxer mix pup, and that the man didnt want it anymore...but he is a complete deadbeat, so his resolution to the problem was to tie the poor dog to a tree and stop feeding it...leaving her for dead! When Josh told me, I was heartbroken that someone would even do this, I mean I see it on TV all the time, but I guess it just hit home...ya know...so anyways...It kinda stirred in Josh and my thoughts for the past day...about how we wanted to call animal control about the guy...but there were two reasons that kept us from calling, one because his work friend didnt want to cause a rift in the family, and Josh didnt want to get the guy tons of grief...and two, because she has Pit in her, she would most likely get picked up and euthanized...and neither of us wanted her to die...sooo this morning when Josh got home from work he told me him and the guy from work were going to go look at the dog. And he did just that...and I will tell you, I am thankful I married an animal lover just like me, and that Josh has the heart not to leave an animal in that type of situation...So about an hour later, Josh comes home, with the dog. The poor thing...you can see her spine, her hip bones, and her ribs...she has scars and marks on her face, back and legs, like she possibly got in a scramble with another dog, or worse was being used as a bait dog for fighting...and she was infested with fleas. Well first thing I did was call off of work...then we gave her a bath, which she desperately needed...we gave her a flea bath, it was so sickening how many fleas were on her. It made me want to barf. The air in the bathroom smelled like iron from the dried blood. The water was completely black when we were done...then we gave her a second bath to get the rest of the dirt off of her...this time we used Johnsons baby shampoo...then we fed her...we got her some canned California Natural and mixed it with the Chicken Soup dog food, she ate it so fast we were afraid she would bloat!! Then Josh and me went to the vet and got her some frontline...we cant get an actual appointment until monday for shots and a heartworm test. Other than being emaciated I think she is pretty healthy...she is just really tired. She ate, drank, and now is sleeping. She hasnt gone to the bathroom for us yet though...but heck with the wood floors, at least an accident wont be too horrible...so yep guys, this is my exciting day. Neither Josh or me really want a third dog, but when it comes right down to it, how can you leave a dog in that situation and just let it die if you know how its living?? We couldnt.

We put up a sign for her at the vet and at Sweet Feed, incase anyone wants a dog...but we will be screening like crazy since she has Pit in her. But of course, when we were at Sweet Feed, we got her a collar and a bone...I have a feeling that unless we find an extremely exception person to take her, that we will be keeping her...She is just such a sweetie. She wont leave your side...and the funniest thing, is she looks just like Harlie, except for she has a little darker black on her muzzle than Harlie does.

If we keep her, I think we might rename her Callie, because she liked the California Natural so much. But who knows...we'll see what happens. We havent introduced all the dogs yet...we figure we are going to keep them seperated at least until tomorrow, we want the Frontline to kick in on Sasha/Callie and we want her to get used to her surroundings a little before she is any more overwhelmed by adding two more dogs into the mix.

So guys...I just wanted to let you know...we might possibly have a seventh member in our family.

I will post pics tomorrow when Im at work. My USB cord for my camera is there

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 12:22 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Wow, what a story. I'm so glad you were able to save her, Melissa. She needs lots of TLC and has found just the right place for it.

Stephanie

post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 12:36 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

awww I'm glad she found a new home in your family.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 12:45 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

how awesome of you two to help out! i don't know how people can do that either. she sounds like a really great dog. maybe she will work out with you guys. pics soon!

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 01:09 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Can't wait to see Callie (I'm assuming that's her forever name anyway lol)

Thank you so much, both of you, for taking the time, energy, and expense to care about this poor pup. Though I would've loved to have seen that a report was filed against the guy, I do understand why you chose not to.

I'll be praying that the other dogs accept Callie and that Callie will accept the other dogs.

What special people you are

- Deb

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Poo dont scare me!!!

Thanks guys...I really dont know how we are going to be able to give her up even if we find a family we like! She is just such a sweetheart! I was making myself a sandwich, and noticed someone was sitting at my feet...sitting...not whining, or barking, or jumping up to get some...but just sitting there patiently...she musta known I was a sucker or something...and of course I gave her a piece of bologna. Then guess what else I even got her to do>>she shook my hand for it!! I then tried to get her to lay down, but that was a no go. Which is fine, Im sure she doesnt know everything yet. But whats sad to me is that someone took enough time to teach her to sit and shake, just to tie her up to a tree...I just dont get it. She is right at your feet wherever you go. She is probably scared to be alone again. I am searching for the camera now, Im gonna take some pictures. Its too bad that darn cord is at work.

I need to test her out with the felines too...I bet that will be a scary one...haha. Being tied up to a tree, I can imagine most of her entertainment was chasing squirrels and birds and stuff like that, so Im guessing the cats and her will need some adjusting.

One question, the guy told Josh she was about 9 months old. She isnt in heat right now, but do you think she has had one yet? I want to get her fixed before she has a heat cycle...I really dont want to have to worry about the mess.

She still hasnt pooped for us, but Im assuming she will probably wait until tomorrow to do that, and Im sure it will be on the living room floor too...lol. But when I left to go run some errands I left her in the porch (part of the house, carpeted and finished, no one can just walk in without a key...) with food, water, and a blanket and some toys and bones, and I was gone a good two hours, and she didnt go poop on the floor, I was suprised at that! Hopefully she is potty trained, but heck if she isnt, Ive never tried to raise a grown dog, so it will be a challenge for myself, and Im sure I can do it.

Ok I guess I will quit going on and on about it...

Im sure I'll update you all later!

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 04:19 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Wow Melissa what a story, I'm so glad "Callie" has a better home for now, and maybe a better home for good It is so great to hear stories like your's to know how there is truly gold hearted people in this world that can actually put an animal's needs first.... You and Josh both deserve a GREAT BIG pat on the back and lot's of praise for being the warm hearted couple that you 2 are....... Awesome job

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 04:28 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Wow what an awesome thing to do! You two are great! I can't wait to see pics, Callie sounds like a sweetie

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 05:12 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
I was making myself a sandwich, and noticed someone was sitting at my feet...sitting...not whining, or barking, or jumping up to get some...but just sitting there patiently...she musta known I was a sucker or something...and of course I gave her a piece of bologna.
You best be vewy vewy caweful!!!!!!

Our shepherd/lab mix was a disaster when she was dumped off.... should've been at least 60lbs at about 11 months old but she was FOURTEEN! Insert a whole bunch of other stuff that was wrong with this dog and you get the idea...

She's the MASTER OF GETTING FOOD FROM HAND! She never jumps, whines, or anything.... instead she lays there with the droopiest saddest eyes one ever did see. She's 65lbs now and when I'm eating tuna I can't help but to share it with her because she has this way of making herself look like a starving lost puppy all over again LOL.

They are not being good... they are being smart and manipulative LOL

I'm so excited for you ...I really hope she gets along with everyone...I really really do

- Deb

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Poo dont scare me!!!

She even got a slice of cheese earlier too while I was taking pictures...haha!!

post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 06:40 PM
Miss New Booty

Ohhhh Melissa!!! That is so heartbreaking!!!! I'm so very glad you and Josh rescued her from that awful situation!! That is so wonderful that you could take her home. I can't wait to see some pictures of her.

~* Jackie *~

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 07:24 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

How wonderful of the two of you to save this dog and bring her into your life!!! She must be on Cudos to you for your big hearts!! Can;t wait to see her!

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Poo dont scare me!!!

Ok welp, I better post pics, then I will give you all an update.

Here is Sasha, her ribs, tiny belly, a toenail that is cut completely off, and some scabbies on her legs...

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Poo dont scare me!!!

One of the cuts on her face, and a pic of her skinny back...

post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Poo dont scare me!!!

And now to some better pics...happy ones. Here are a few of Sasha meeting Harlie and Bub.

Tags
animal control, animal lover, chicken soup, dog food, heat cycle, lab mix, potty train, potty trained