Scared of the washing machine?!?!? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Scared of the washing machine?!?!?

Hiya Guys. I was wondering if you could help me with my little golden retriever Flo. I had one like her when I was younger and just recently got my Flo no.2. Unfortunally Flo is scared of the washing machine. Every time I put it on she either barks or howls until it goes off. When I go to put in my jumper that I wear to take her out on her walks she just grabs and starts tugging at it . Eventually I manage to take her away by putting the lead on her and take her to the kitchen where she is tied up until I have filled the washing machine. I can't block access to the utility room as there is no door and she can hop over the gate things.
Please Help...

Ailish
x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 05:00 PM

I have the same problem! - the washing machine, thunder, and when I turn on the dishwasher. My dog isn't as loud any more, but I can tell he's afraid. He usually hides in the downstairs bathroom!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 05:21 PM
Betta Bomb

I remember watching tv about a Lab who was a retired war service dog from Iraq and he had the same problem but the trainer (highly debated Ceasar Milan) argued the fear has something to do with confidence -but that WAS a dog living under war conditions and bombs which is far worse than a washing machine!-but maybe you need to boost her confidence by making her stay by the washing machine to show it's not scary. Make it a game and practice her training in the same room as the machine. By letting her win and get away with the fear every time, you are telling her its ok to be afraid of the big scary clothes-washing monster.
I don't know this was a long shot guess on my knowledge of poochies, maybe someone here has a better idea? I hope you succeed in your training!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 10:30 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Maybe try holding her on a lead by the washing machine and make her sit. Then when she exhibits good behaviors, like being quiet or not moving, give her a treat.

--------------------
~Marcia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--------------------------

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. Due to alot of advice me and Flo have been practising turning on the washing machine and putting clothes inside. I found out that she was scared because once I washed one of her beds in the washing machine when she was tiny. She went crazy when I had to throw it out because it got ripped in the tumble dryer. But thanks every one. Now all she does is bark the first couple of times and then I say sit and give her a treat and she stops.
Thanks

Ailish
xx

Tags
golden retriever, scared, washing machine