Schnauzers - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Schnauzers

Anyone know how good schnauzers are as pets.
I hear they do not shed hair is this true?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 12:49 PM

I have never had a Schnauzers. But, a friend of mine has one. His name is Max. He is a sweet dog and got along great with the three other children in the family. He likes to bark a lot though. He also gets startled a bit. But, a great family pet. My friends father could not have certain kinds of dogs, because he was very sick. So, Max was a perfect match. He does not shed and he likes being a lap dog. He really enjoys getting petted by his father, who was wheel chair bound. Max also has a lot of energy and likes running after toys and running around the yard with the kids. Hope that helps you.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 04:28 PM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

An uncle of mine has had miniature schnauzers for years. I don't recall them ever shedding (maybe a few hairs here and there, but nothing really noticeable) and they've always had an excellent temperment and personality. They LOVED to be the centre of attention at all times and enjoyed being around people.

In their younger years, they have loads of energy, though. But, as they get older, they do mellow out and just want to be snugglebugs.

I think they are a good choice of dog as a pet if you can handle their energy and grooming. They should be taken to the groomer every so often to have their hair clipped.

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 04:35 PM
Herp Nerd

A friend of mine has a giant schnauzer, he sheds quite a bit and needs regular trimming, but he's a great dog. Always good around people and good with other dogs that are good with him. He's rather stubborn, doesn't like to be pushed around. Of course, when your dog is nearly 90lbs, he can push back quite effectively.

Rav

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 08:07 PM

Most Miniature Schnauzers I've met have been pretty good...little shedding but regular grooming and clipping is REQUIRED.

Cesea at work has Giant Schnauzers...big, kinda stupid, playful, loving dogs with a tendency towards guarding (originally bred to be guard dogs) They too REQUIRE regular grooming and clipping.

Both are great dogs, however I prefer Giants and with uncropped ears
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

I want a little one and I know that when they are puppies they have tons of fur and you have to take them to the hairdresser to have his do set and then manage it every so often.
i think they are lovely when they have little beards.
I hate dog hair it gets in my throat very easy and I cant breathe.
I like cuddly dogs.
Will let everyone know if i get one
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

This is why I want one.
They are adorable
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 05:36 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

i'm glad you posted this! i have been curious about mini and medium schnauzers for a while.

as far as energy goes for the mini's - would you compare that to other toy dogs (lots of energy inside and if needed, but little exercise required)? in other words, do they need more exercise than other toy breeds?

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 06:51 PM

I have a mini shnauzer and she is the light of my life She is active but I would never call her hyper. She barks on occasion but is never out of control. She is very smart, very tough and very affectionate. To me she is perfect.

I groom my schnauzer myself. I clip her maybe every 12 weeks and scissor trim him a bit in between. I never see her shed any hair.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

When I read up on them they said that they do not shed hair and that is perfect for me.
They look adorable and I think they are very loving.
I have never had a small dog before only big ones and they always need walking loads.
I want a dog that likes loads of cuddles coz my cats hate it.
Help finding one in Sweden would be good.
Tried looking on the net and sent 2 emails but got no reply.
I want him now.
His name will be Schnowzy
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Have been looking for schnowzies and they are about 700-800 so I am gonna have to save up for one.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 05:33 PM

I use to have a "schnowzie". She was a WONDERFUL pet. Her name was Heidi. She had leg problems when she was 8 so we had to put her to sleep. Great now I miss her again!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noo1home
I use to have a "schnowzie". She was a WONDERFUL pet. Her name was Heidi. She had leg problems when she was 8 so we had to put her to sleep. Great now I miss her again!
Sorry about your little Schnowzy

Tags
lap dog