Schnoodles - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 06:55 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by pihlaja
The labradoodle was first intentionally bred in Australia in the 1970s and has its roots there as a guide dog for allergy sufferers, according to Beverly Manners, founder of Rutland Manor Labradoodle Breeding and Research Center in Victoria, Australia.
Bloody Victorians!!! Don't have a brain between the lot of them!! Of course I can say this cause half of my family are victorians but I'd really love to go and slap the person that started these fads....I always wondered where the fad started...Now I know I don't think I want to know! Thanks for the info.
I know that all dogs started off as mutts but I personally would not buy a labradoodle etc. for the fact that we have enough breeds out there and a lot of these new breeds are being bred in puppy mills to get enough of the breed out there.
If you are purchasing off a breeder make sure you find a reputable one at least...or rescue if you are willing!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy

Last edited by Loxias; 09-14-2004 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Fixed Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 01:52 PM

GOOD POST!
There are way too many mixed breeds dying in shelters...there is definately NO reason why anybody should breed fad dogs..its complete nonsense! Ask ANY reputable and responsible breeder and they'll tell you that...
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 02:54 PM

The problem IMO with these new Labradoodles and whatnot is that ANYONE can breed them. All it takes is an unaltered Labrador and an unaltered Poodle, and WHAM! You've got yourself a litter of puppies worth an easy $500 a piece! Oftentimes more.

I have no problem with folks creating new breeds with specific purposes, but I do have a problem with folks taking untested (no OFA or CERF tests,) untried (no training, no showing or competing of any type) purebreds and mixing them for the sole purpose of catering to fads and making loads of cash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
And here I am again, showing my butt!

Gee -- I didn't mean to get a heated discussion going here.

Just a little tidbit of info: the Schnoodle has been around for at least 30 years and is not a 'fad' dog anymore.

I have looked all over the 'net and have not found any in shelters or rescues. You say they are in rescues and shelters everywhere -- could you direct me to them?? My preference is a young female.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 01:26 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I wasn't trying to start a discussion either!! I wasn't aware that schnoodles had been around for 30 years....I thought they were a recent thing with all the other oodle dogs that are available now but I guess the schnoodle is just more recognised these days for it. I own a Staffy and they were a mix breed and a fad in their time. If the type of dog is perfect for you then go for it, just don't feed the puppy mills, which I'm sure no-one on pt would do anyway!

post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 01:22 PM

I just met a labradoodle yesterday. She is the sweetest little girl, and sooo calm. She's only eight months old and very well behaved. Of course, the owners got her at the pound, not a breeder. Thought I'd share that bit of info.
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 01:44 PM

at the pound? yeah like I said, alot of them end up in dog shelters, and I currently work at a pet store on the weekends ...there are alot of them there as well..labradoodles..shnoodles...chishitz..etc..... most, if not all being brought in from puppy mills...alot of them get so sick when they're at the pet store...or come in sick.. its quite sad. I'm pretty happy I don't work in the "dog department"...I work in the bird department...it would be quite upsetting for me if I worked with the dogs and cats. At least I know the birds are being hand fed and raised by the store (me and a few other bird department employees) so I don't feel so terrible..but the dogs...well I definately do not suggest people buy dogs or cats from pet shops.. please adopt.
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbulliest
at the pound? yeah like I said, alot of them end up in dog shelters, and I currently work at a pet store on the weekends ...there are alot of them there as well..labradoodles..shnoodles...chishitz..etc..... most, if not all being brought in from puppy mills...alot of them get so sick when they're at the pet store...or come in sick.. its quite sad. I'm pretty happy I don't work in the "dog department"...I work in the bird department...it would be quite upsetting for me if I worked with the dogs and cats. At least I know the birds are being hand fed and raised by the store (me and a few other bird department employees) so I don't feel so terrible..but the dogs...well I definately do not suggest people buy dogs or cats from pet shops.. please adopt.
Well, I guess I think it is possible for breeders to be responsible and sell healthy dog mixes. It is probably more the exception than the rule, but there are those breeders out there. Aren't most dogs used for companionship anyway? If a certain two breeds result in a dog that is suited for that purpose...I guess there is nothing really wrong with that. I own a mix (nothing with an oodle on it though, because I can't stand poodles). My breeder breeds purebreds, but does do one litter of mixes because they get so many requests for the Lab / English Bulldog mix. I wanna say the stat is over half of all dogs end up in more than one home for their life regardless of what breed they are. Mixes breeds typically create a healthier dog that is less prone to the common ailments of certain breeds (hip dysplasia, eye problems, etc.). I am also tired of everything in a dog store being some kind of mix. The place I buy my dog food from is full of mixes...Chewawa / yorkie mixes...shar pei / poodle mixes...pomeranian / eskim mixes. It is a bit ridiculous, but irresponsible puppy mills are going to be at work no matter what breeds they are messing with. I like my "bullador", but he did come from a responsible breeder that had x-rayed, eye tested, etc. both the parents before breeding. You can't really blaim people for liking cute dogs....we are probably all a bit guilty of that. Would you still be against mixes if more responsible breeders decided to breed these kind of dogs? I have no problem if they want to make money from their craft...I simply ask for a well cared for product.
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 02:48 PM

Yeah I would personally still be against it. Just because there ARE so many mixed breed dogs in shelters and in pet shops... most of them don't really come from good breeders, or they wouldn't be in pet shops or shelters in the first place!..and just because someone does an x ray on the dogs, it doesn't really mean they're being responsible breeders. I mean, did the breeder know the history of the male and female prior to breeding? Family health records are vital...since puppies might have health problems that were seen in grandparents or even great grandparents..but that the actual parents don't show..

Also, were these dogs in shows? It is my personal opinion..but I believe dogs that are to be bred should be the best of the best..thoroughly tested...with show titles and COMPLETE health records on the owners hands..if a breeder is a good breeder..they'll make sure they're producing dogs that only increase the quality of the breed itself...not just because they're receiving requests. They'll have fixed contracts for potential buyers...will demand that their pups are spayed or neutered...do home checks..accurate screenings...check ups..and take dogs back if the buyer can't have it anymore for some reason...etc.

I just don't personally see a point to it..and I believe someone mentioned that shnoodles or labradoodles have been around for thirty years if I'm not mistaken?... that's barely three generations of dogs..that's not even adequate enough to determine the overall temperament of the "new" breed..the possible health risks that this new breed might posess...etc etc etc...there is so much to consider..and thirty years is nothing.

I still think its wrong..if people want fad breeds that's perfectly fine (all dogs need great homes)..its just a matter of where you're getting them from, why you want them in the first place, and whether or not you're supporting the right or wrong people when you get them..
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 09:09 AM

Quote:
well I definately do not suggest people buy dogs or cats from pet shops.. please adopt.
It's not a good idea to generalize. Not all pet stores are bad. Yes, I realize that rescues and shelters are full but to generalize is just as irresponsible.
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 01:00 PM

Quote:
..and just because someone does an x ray on the dogs, it doesn't really mean they're being responsible breeders.
It is a rare irresponsible breeder that takes the time and money to x-ray the dogs and have the hips and eblows OFA'd. Generally, this is a good sign that the breeder is responsible and cares about the health and well being of their dogs and their dogs' offspring.
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 01:37 PM
Member formerly known as MistyLea21

I just want to agree with Lox and some others here... ALL dogs that we have today are mixed until they are recognized by the AKC as purebred. All dogs we have today are results of mixing breeds in order to get features, and disposition that we want.

Labradoodles are an excellent family dog for people that suffer allergies. They do indeed have less dander and don't shed like most. I saw a tv special with this lady that developed severe allergies to dogs, but was a dog lover. She got a labradoodle because families favor the labs disposition, with the poodles lack of dander. After years of looking her and her family were finally able to own a dog without it provoking her allergies.

Dogs in pounds show no prejudice, there is nearly just as many purebreds in pounds as there are mixes. ALSO dogs from responsible and good breeders end up in shelters too! In fact my next door neighbor is taking care of a pit bull that is akc registered, and the guy paid like $900 for it. But he just decided he didn't want it. It is just a beautiful and sweet pit.

Bottom line here is responsible owners, and responsible breeding. This subject should have nothing to do with pure bred/vs mixed because thats not the bottom line. The bottom line is being responsible on both ends owners and breeders no matter what you are buying or breeding.

Misty

Silver Mist Studios

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Custom Designer Jewelry, Handmade Lampwork Glass Beads and More!

Eyes Of Texas Chinchillas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 05:53 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

eyesofTXchins well said!!!! While I have always resuced dogs, rescue dogs often come with problems. Not everyone is equipped to deal with the problems that may come out and I'd prefer that person gave a great home to a puppy that they raised and trained themselves than to try and deal with a dog they couldn't deal with and have it end up back in a shelter.
In a few years time I am going to get an English Bulldog, it will be the first dog I get from a breeder, and my only one too....but I have never had the experience of owning a puppy and raising a dog from the start, so I'm going to do it. I don't disagree with people buying from breeders, unless it is from backyard breeders, and the people that are here on pt are smart enough to weed through all the breeders and find the good ones. Something that some people seem to have forgotten.

post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi
It's not a good idea to generalize. Not all pet stores are bad. Yes, I realize that rescues and shelters are full but to generalize is just as irresponsible.
Yes, but which responsible breeder gives their dogs to a pet shop in the first place? By doing that, they don't know where their puppies will end up, unless of course they personally screen the potential buyers that come into the pet shop. I have never seen this done before. Not to mention, selling their puppies to a pet shop (in order for the pet shop to sell the dog to people), doesn't allow the breeder to force a contract upon the potential buyers..unless of course, the breeder works directly in or with the pet shop and prepares a direct contract for the buyers..again this is rare...if even heard of...Most breeders that sell to pet shops don't usually keep track of where the puppies go...if you know any opposite examples..I'd be interested to hear since I've never personally heard of it..
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roz
It is a rare irresponsible breeder that takes the time and money to x-ray the dogs and have the hips and eblows OFA'd. Generally, this is a good sign that the breeder is responsible and cares about the health and well being of their dogs and their dogs' offspring.
Agreed..but then you have to consider all the other steps that make a responsible and reputable breeder..not JUST x rays and vet checks...but you're right..it is a good sign...although there's always more to watch out for.
Closed Thread

Tags
breed dogs, dog food, family dog, hip dysplasia, lab mix, mixed breed, mixed breeds, pet shop, pet shops, pet store, pet stores, pit bull, pit bulls, puppy mill, puppy mills, pure bred, reputable breeder