Seamus Pictures (and an update) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Wink Seamus Pictures (and an update)

Finally managed to get some pictures of Seamus (and will certainly take more once we get new batteries for the camera)!

Aren't they just precious?

This is what happens when killer puppies attack! (Or get too close to the camera.)

The rest of the pictures are here.

UPDATE ON SEAMUS
Things are going so-so with Seamus and his training. I gave up on trying to solely crate train him because:
1) he refuses at this point to potty outside and
2) it's very hard to get him outside all the time since my apartment is not ground level.

One day I caught him trying to poo on the carpet so I scooped him up and ran outside with him. We spent an HOUR AND A HALF out there waiting for him to poo. I didn't let him play or romp at all, but just walk around and sniff. Not even TWO MINUTES after we get back in, he poos on the rug. After that, I decided I would just rather paper train him.

Paper training wasn't going well at first, either. He would pee or poo on the paper and then run behind the couch to pee or poo AGAIN off the paper. After much scolding and fussing (and severe limitations of freedom), however, he finally realised that we would let him run around as long as he did his business on the paper.

One of the biggest problems, though, is that Seamus feels he doesn't have to hold his bladder at all. If he feels the SLIGHTEST urge to go, he does, no matter where he is. He has peed on me while I was holding him (no warning, either), twice on the couch, twice on the bed, and once on the car seat.

Seamus has also been making Galina very grouchy. Since she is the smallest member of the household, I suppose she feels SHE should be treated like the baby. Before Seamus, she WAS the baby. I guess she has the only-child syndrome. Sami and I have been giving here extra attention lately to try and help her feel better, and it seems to be working, too. And Seamus doesn't care one way or the other, because he is happy as long as his daddy plays with him.

Yesterday we took Seamus to a friend's house so we could see how well he does around a young child (her baby is around 9 months old). I was really amazed at how well he did! He never tried to bite the baby or nip him and let the baby pull his hair without making a fuss (though WE made a fuss and had the baby stop, teaching him that it wasn't nice to pull Seamus' hair). The only thing I tried to discourage him from doing is jumping on the baby to lick his face. He's not allowed to jump on us, so he shouldn't be allowed to jump on baby (especially since baby is a bit more fragile than me).

Seamus is still getting car sick while riding, though on the way him he didn't throw up at all this time, just drooled a lot. He doesn't like the car right now since (obviously) it doesn't make him feel good, but I think in time he will get over his car sickness as long as Sami and I keep working with him.

This update is just too long. Eep! I apologise for writing so much, but if you read this far, wow! Thank you! (And maybe the pictures made the long post not so bad.)

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 07:38 AM

Great Pics, love #10 they are just so innocent when they are sleeping
Sounds like everything is on the right track, as for the car sickness that is definitely something to work with, because unfortunately he may never get over it. When we had Ajax he was pretty bad, we couldn't feed him in the morning if he was going anywhere in the car that day, and sometimes he wouldn't get sick he would just drool pretty badly and other time's omg it was horrible ... We had a foster years ago that would get car sick as well and we used to take short rides several times a week around the block and it did wonders, she looked foward to going in the car, before she would run at the site (because she got so sick). I hope you have great luck with the car sickness. Beau which is the brother to Ajax used to get sick as well now he just drools from time to time, thank goodness
As for peeing all over, when you catch him doing it, tell him "no" and place him immediately on the paper helping him to understand this is where he needs to go.
I wish you luck and I am sure Seamus will catch on soon
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 10:10 AM

what a beauty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 12:04 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Aww, what a cute puppy!

Rhonda

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 05:03 PM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

What a beautiful pup !!

Sharon
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 09:10 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Adorable!

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 09:22 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Wow what an adorable puppy he is! Puppies are alot of work, training and all, but they're sure a lot of fun too!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatepuppy
Wow what an adorable puppy he is! Puppies are alot of work, training and all, but they're sure a lot of fun too!
Yes, and he certainly gives me something to do now while Sami is gone to work.

Even though he has some issues with pottying outside, I can honestly say he's not that bad of a puppy. He IS starting to chew on things, but he won't chew on the cords (tried once and I stomped my foot down on the floor VERY hard so he never did it again) and if I tell him a firm "NO" when he's chewing on the desk, he stops (and then I show him his rawhide bone). Another nice thing about Seamus is that he isn't as hyper as some puppies. He plays a good deal, but it's not VIGOROUS (you could say) as some other puppies (and he takes a nap when you want him to ).

Thank you all for the sweet comments! But if you saw him hopping across the floor, you'd think he looks more like a grey dust bunny than a puppy! One of my favourite features with him is his sad blue eyes. People who see him think he's mixed breed with a husky or something because they didn't know shelties could have blue eyes!

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 01:21 PM

Aww such a cute little one!!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 02:34 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

He's gorgeous!!!!

*Brandy*

|
|
|

Tags
mixed breed