Selectively deaf! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Selectively deaf!

Last night was THE night of the year for fireworks and my mutt is now 12 years old. EVERY year since birth Coco has been the epitomy of fear and anxiety. So bad that from about December 20-30 every year as people in my nearby neighborhood buy fireworks and cant wait for dec.31 so they lights them early and until about January 5th or so Coco would be afraid to go on a walk more than relieving himself he would drag me back to the house.

He had such bad anxiety, last night I was concerned because I knew I had plans to go out with friends so as soon as it got dark and long after I had him for a quick walk people up the road began randomly shooting off fireworks and whatever. Not even a flicked ear. I called him name and he looked at me but he seemed not to hear the fireworks for the first year EVER. In 12 years. It made me happy that he was able to relax for the first time allowing me to also relax but it made me terribly sad that this is finally it.

My old man is losing his hearing Should I be concerned? I think he can still hear me as he responds every time but I also know that fireworks has a lower frequency in the sound which is why it bother dogs so much so maybe he lost that part of hearing??? Does anyone know?

*** Also, happy new year!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 10:51 PM
Part of the Pack

I noticed the same thing last night with Jellybeans who is 13. She is normally wedged somewhere like an ostrich. I took her outside at midnight and she didn't seem to notice.

I think she is losing her hearing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 05:52 PM
RAT ADDICT

My 10 yr old foster dog,Pearl,also did not respond to the fireworks.She perked up once and then that was it.When Pearl first came to me,I thought she was deaf as she did not respond to a thing.But I do know she can hear things,just has selective hearing.

I really do not think there is anything to worry about with Coco.He is not fully deaf and maybe he just calmed down with age when it comes to the fireworks.He could care less now.

You will know when he is deaf (if he does lose his hearing),as he will not respond to sounds or voices.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

He certainly hears me fine. And ESPECIALLY when I sez his favorite words : Walk, treat, cookies, bath, Do you want to..., *rols eyes*
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 03:51 PM
RAT ADDICT

Hahaha...maybe Pearl taught him some things,such as only hearing what you wanna hear!

* Lisa *

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Wouldnt doubt it
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 06:06 PM
Hello Earthling

I think Kiwi is also a little selectively deaf. She will listen to what she wants to but otherwise she just walks away.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 05:51 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

haha are dog hunter did that too.

[/CENTER]

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 03:36 PM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

I think he has gotten the whole "selective hearing" along with loosing fear to fireworks maybe. Or the amount of noise we made while hanging out could have made him think, fireworks are not SO bad

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

OH hahahahaha!! Good point! Jeez, Raise the Roof !!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 12:13 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeishaGirl View Post
I think he has gotten the whole "selective hearing" along with loosing fear to fireworks maybe. Or the amount of noise we made while hanging out could have made him think, fireworks are not SO bad
Hahahaha...oh yeah,if he put up with us...he can put up with anything!

* Lisa *