Senior Dog Dental Care - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Senior Dog Dental Care

Ok my baby girl is 15 soon to be 16 this year. Her teeth have hit that stage of just being so horrible and of course her being to old the vet will not put her to sleep to pull them. I wanted to brush them but, I know that some are rotted, some are chipped up near the gums and my thing is I know how painful this is in humans and actually cringe thinking about it. I just need to know what I can do to get them somewhat clean because her breathe is about to kill us all over here. I'm pretty sure the cat has a gas mask he wears when we arent around and my husband will light candles all over the place. When she yawns or licks her lips/paws whatever its just so bad it makes you want to pull your shirt over your nose. Any ideas or suggestions?

Amy
My dog may smell bad, but she's always excited to see me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 10:10 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I suggest maybe getting a second opnion from a diffrent vet to see what they recommend,spezza is 8 years old, and in september had 8 teeth removed due to rotting, and they put him to sleep without problem, if the dog is generally healthy a vet maybe willing to do the work. but id definetly get a second opinion

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 09:14 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Yeah, I agree, you need a vet's opinion or you may end up doing more damage.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 09:47 AM
Betta Bomb

This comes as a result of either really bad gingivitis which regular enzymatic toothpaste will not cure. I would pick some up and let it do its thing for her breath though. Enzymes will help break down bad breath bacteria.
From there I would go have her looked at by another vet who isn't afraid of peforming surgery on a geriatric dog. She will be more expensive to treat because of her age but I would ask them to look in her kidneys and gut for any under lying problems.
I feel where you're coming from, it's not fun to have a smelly dog and she's so old you're afraid of losing her. But think of it in terms of her, she needs you to comfort her. Old age isn't a pleasant thing to go through. Hold your breath and give her a good hug.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Yeah Second opinion same as the first. Dog is way to old for them to do any type of anesthesia. They said I can try to give her somewhat softer dental treats but just enough crunch, maybe to losen the teeth but for the most part, I can change her diet to not moist food. Was confirmed basically everything the first vet had told me pertaining to her as far as health. He told me she was in pretty good health for a 15 year old dog tumors (non cancerous) and all, however the constant cough and hack is her allergies. He said could give her some stuff for that but then I remembered nope did that last time and she kept getting bladder infections. So basically Im going to change her diet and go from there. Maybe that would give me some relief *some* from her horrid breath. However I love this stinky dog so if it doesn't work, I'll suffer through it.

Amy
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 01:40 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Thing is, though, dry food causes rotted teeth and plaque and all, so I'm not sure that excluding moist food from her diet is going to help - dry food is going to make the problem worse. Raw meaty bones is how dogs naturally clean their teeth, you could try those?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

I hope she's not in any pain though? Rotted, chipped teeth can be very painful I'd imagine.

Is she acting like she's in pain at all?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I'll try whatever. However lets put it this way, she never acts like she's in pain. My husband has nicknamed her Hoover. You better watch your food when shes around. I will try the meaty bones and see how that works. She will still chew on them, little at a time.

Amy
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 12:35 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

There are other gnaw toys that could help clean dog teeth, look for not so hard one.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 12:44 PM

Our pets feel pain just like we do. Our Dogs with bad breath are not normal and usually have a degree of dental disease that needs to be treated. Cats have a nasty array of bacteria in their mouths that can contribute to gingivitis (inflamed gums) and poor hygiene.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 10:48 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

the trick with those gnaw toys is getting a non pup to chew on em. My dog won't touch them.

There may be a time where you have to pick between having the surgery to keep her around even if the risk of her not making it through is high, If her teeth get bad enough than she doesn't have a good quality of life with out the surgery either. You may be able to talk to the vet and say you know the risks are very high but you feel that it still needs to be taken.

[/CENTER]

Tags
bad breathe, clean teeth, dog dental, dog teeth