Separation anxiety? - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 10:48 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,887
       
I just want to say that separation anxiety is something that CAN be hereditary, just like fur chewing in chinchillas. However, like someone else said, many "puppies" go through a bout of this at a certain age. Kali never did it, but Orion went through it at about 10 months old. It was odd, because he was born into this family and things didn't change much so why did he go through it? Goodness only knows, but he cried, whinned, shredded things, ate a hole in 2 mattresses, chewed, clawed and forced his way through the bathroom door in a matter of 10 minutes...it was AWFUL!! We did a LOT of the "pretending to take stuff outside" and short drives around the block and such to get him to understand that just because we are out of sight for a minute, we aren't gone FOREVER! Another thing we did was NOT make a big deal when we got home. Most people think if they praise, praise, praise the second they walk in the door, their dogs will feel better. That's not true. It builds it up even worse because of the expectation factor. It actually can worsen the anxiety because of the anticipation! So, we worked on making coming home "no big deal" therefore taking the anticipation factor away. When we came home, we would walk past the dogs and go about our business as if we had been home all that time. After a few months of working on it, things got MUCH better. Now, Orion only has problems if we leave and take Kali with us. If she's here, he's okay, but left alone without her, he gets destructive. THAT, I can live with, because its VERY rare that Kali goes anywhere without him.
Chinchilla_Girl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 05:17 PM
RAT ADDICT
 
VanillaRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Newfoundland
Age: 35
Posts: 19,199
  
Yep, thats what my family does with Coco too...they ignore him 5-10 minutes before leaving and 5-10 minutes when coming home and he is fine now...only every now and then freaks out!




* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
VanillaRat is offline  
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 10:32 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter
 
Scarlette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Age: 46
Posts: 6,574
      
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchilla_Girl
Another thing we did was NOT make a big deal when we got home. Most people think if they praise, praise, praise the second they walk in the door, their dogs will feel better. That's not true. It builds it up even worse because of the expectation factor. It actually can worsen the anxiety because of the anticipation!
Excellent point Mandie!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Scarlette is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 11:04 PM
Princess in Waiting
 
Crittercall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Central FL - beside the Mouse
Age: 67
Posts: 1,377
 
I've always been a strong believer in crating the dogs when hubby was at work and I wanted to go somewhere (or we went somewhere together). The Cavaliers are great together, but my Shih Tzu was kind of left without a home. Then I went to visit my Mom for about a month last summer and hubby decided that there was no need to put the dogs in the crates - let them run free!! I could have choked him. Now as we leave the house we can hear Sasha (the Shih Tzu) screaming until we get in the car.

She's a BIG BABY - although not a big dog. A lot of nights I can't sleep and will come to the office and get on the computer. When she wakes up and realizes I'm not there she screams her head off. The only reason I run to get her is so that she won't wake everyone up. She also gets "lost" in the house sometimes and can't find us so she howls. She has to actually see me before she realizes where I am and that it's okay that she comes with me. I blame this partially on myself. I've been sick for some time and she has spent a lot of time in bed with me, so she thinks the bedroom is the only place to be. She must be in the chair w/hubby right now watching TV. She has to spend a certain amount of time with him every night.

Chrissy, yours was a horror story. I'm sorry you and your family went through that and I'm sorry that you had to put the dog down but sometimes that is the only choice. I've read so many stories about pit bulls suddenly "snapping" and going after their owners or neighbors; at least everything she ruined was replaceable. And I know you are still sad. I lost my first shih tzu 5 years ago (Sasha is 4) but I still miss the first one. Such different personalities!

Critter

CRITTERCALL


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
Crittercall is offline  
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 12:04 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 134
 
Wow. After reading this thread, I realize that what we thought was a behavioral problem with Toby may be separation anxiety. When I'm home, he goes outside to potty with no problem. When I'm gone, he pees in the dining room. We thought he just didn't bother holding it if no one was home to let him out.

I noticed that if I leave and my husband is here, he pees, but if my husband leaves and I stay home, he doesn't. I was convinced that my husband wasn't paying attention and letting him out when he needed to go, but reading these posts, it may just be anxiety because mom's gone. (My husband says he acts stressed when I leave and often waits by the door.)

This is great to know because we've been approaching the problem as a housebreaking issue not an anxiety issue and it hasn't been getting any better. Maybe this will help us to finally reclaim our dining room!
kfielder is offline  
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 01:53 PM
Princess in Waiting
 
Crittercall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Central FL - beside the Mouse
Age: 67
Posts: 1,377
 
Isn't it amazing how much we can learn from each other. We think we are the only ones in the world with this problem, but now everyone comes crawling out of their woodwork of shame because they think it's just them and their dog when we realize that we are not alone!!

I made the mistake of closing the dogs up in my bedroom one day when there was someone here working on the house. Once again, the Cavaliers are such princesses they wouldn't dare do anything wrong. The ShihTzu with attitude showed me - she pee'd on my bed. Needless to say I was not a happy camper!

Which brings us all down to part of it may be house-breaking, part anxiety. Was she anxious because she was closed up in a room away from me? Or was she angry because I had put her away? If only they would talk to us!!

Good luck to us all with this problem. I for one always appreciate more info. And Kfielder, it takes some dogs longer to train their owners than it does others!! (You don't really think that they are trained do you!?!)

Critter

CRITTERCALL


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
Crittercall is offline  
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 02:03 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 134
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crittercall
And Kfielder, it takes some dogs longer to train their owners than it does others!! (You don't really think that they are trained do you!?!)Critter
I would never make that mistake.
kfielder is offline  
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 08:51 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 954
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crittercall
Chrissy, yours was a horror story. I'm sorry you and your family went through that and I'm sorry that you had to put the dog down but sometimes that is the only choice. I've read so many stories about pit bulls suddenly "snapping" and going after their owners or neighbors; at least everything she ruined was replaceable. And I know you are still sad. I lost my first shih tzu 5 years ago (Sasha is 4) but I still miss the first one. Such different personalities!
Critter
Thank you It's always hard losing a pet and they do stay with us in our hearts forever I'm sorry for your loss, also
Chrissy is offline  
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 12:59 AM
Leo
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 968
   
Chrissy I want to say sorry about your dog, I also think that you will one day see him again...right now he is looking down at you with love.. all the love that it took for you to end his suffering here (I truly believe that some dogs mentally suffer the same as some dogs physically suffer right before they go to the rainbow bridge) He truly is in a much better place where he can run and frolic with all our fur babies that are over the rainbow bridge.


Denise have you tried crate training Logan? a great suggestion that I got from someone else is to place your dog in the crate and lay/sit down on the floor next to it... do this about 30 min before you are going to leave, for about 10 min... talk calmly or sing softly to him.. and try not to make a big deal when you leave. Make sure you have a toy like a KONG in there filled up so he doesn't get bored while you are gone.... I used to believe in the whole dog loose in the house while you are gone theory but after several thousands of dollars in damage to our house I quickly bought a crate... now all 3 of my dogs LOVE theirs and actually spend a lot of the day in there voluntarily with the cage door open. If he barks for attention Ignore it! do not even give him a response of telling him to be quiet. Another thing a tired dog is a good dog it is possible that he is whining because he is bored... make sure he has plenty of toys to play with again filled Kong's are great for curing boredom... Have you considered taking an obedience class? a lot of beginning OB classes will teach you how to deal with this type of behavior. Good Luck!
Leo is offline  
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,245
      
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchilla_Girl
Most people think if they praise, praise, praise the second they walk in the door, their dogs will feel better. That's not true. It builds it up even worse because of the expectation factor. It actually can worsen the anxiety because of the anticipation!
Mandie, thank you so much for that tip! I don't make a big deal when I leave. In fact, I don't give them eye contact but when I come home I say hello to them and it gets them all excited. I won't do that anymore.

Yes, I have crated Logan and he is tolerating it a lot better than he used to. I have been separating Molly and Logan during the day and his whining has gotten better. I also pretend like I am going out like I get my keys out, fiddle with my purse, etc. but I don't actually go out. I am hoping within time it will get better. Whining is just plain annoying and I have a low tolerance for it.
Denise is offline  
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 12:29 AM
Leo
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 968
   
Have you tried giving him a job to do?... give him a kong packed super tight with a lot of different things like peanut butter, kibble, little treats etc.... this could help with the whining ...if he is busy maybe he will forget to whine? I have recently started doing this with my bigger 2 dogs who like to bark & whine during the day (very annoying when the 1 1/2 year old is trying to nap) it has considerably cut down on their need to whine or bark because they are so busy trying to get the food out of the Kongs.
Leo is offline  
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 05:25 PM
RAT ADDICT
 
VanillaRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Newfoundland
Age: 35
Posts: 19,199
  
Oh yes, kongs are a really good idea as well! They can keep a dog occupied for awhile if there is a yummy snack inside!




* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
VanillaRat is offline  
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 06:28 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 954
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo
Chrissy I want to say sorry about your dog, I also think that you will one day see him again...right now he is looking down at you with love.. all the love that it took for you to end his suffering here (I truly believe that some dogs mentally suffer the same as some dogs physically suffer right before they go to the rainbow bridge) He truly is in a much better place where he can run and frolic with all our fur babies that are over the rainbow bridge
thank you for your kind words
Chrissy is offline  
Reply

Tags
animal rescue, cage door open, crate training, elvis lee, fur babies, german shepard, pet store, pet stores, pit bull, pit bulls, shih tzu


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome