Seperation Anxiety - Anyone Dealt with This? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Seperation Anxiety - Anyone Dealt with This?

Nola has SA. She's fine as long as we are home.

She's really smart, part of the problem. The gate to our backyard is broken at the bottom. DH zip tied it and she chewed through them. So he used electrical wire and she slid them over!! We have to replace the gate, I guess, but then I wonder how she'll get out.

I'm afraid to leave her inside while we're gone for fear she'll destroy my house. We left her in the garage once and she was fine. Next time she busted out the garage window and dug a hole in the door (I'll go take a pic).

So, now I'm wondering what to do. She's not ready for the crate and while I could lock her in it so she and my house would be safe, I fear it'd traumatize her, yk? The first time I shut the door on it she started hyperventilating and we let her out.

She will go in the crate for yummy treats but comes right back out. I got a Kong yesterday and plan to fill it and teach her that it stays in the crate but I know crate-training will take a while.

I'm wondering if she would be ok in the house since she's familiar with it and likes it. Or if she'd freak and scratch out my walls. Ugh.

We love her. She's perfect for us in EVERY other way, but we do have to leave the house, yk?

I got her some calming tablets yesterday (ginger, chammomille, valerian root) and started giving them to her and we'll see the Vet on Tuesday and maybe they can prescribe something.

I guess I'm just looking for some advice from someone who's been there and got through it.

She was with another dog at her previous house - maybe that's part of the problem. But I don't think we can get another dog.

Dh wants to go today and get a runner line to put up out back for while we're out T or T'ing. I'm iffy. I've heard bad things. I don't know what to do.

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 12:32 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

leave her in the house, and go out side for like 2 mins, then come back, don't praise her or anything just ignore her. then go out for 5 mins, same, 10 mins, whatever and see if she does anything to your house. Plus it teaches you will come back.

[/CENTER]

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 01:22 PM
Adolescent Pup

All i can give is that you leave a jumper or something which you wear so it has your sent on it, leave several pieces around the house and see if that helps.
Or tape you talking....say.... record yourself reading a book, or talking about your day, or something like that! Thatmight help, if she can hear your voice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 01:25 PM
Part of the Pack

Also when you know you are going to be leaving. Give her a good run around the block or some sort of high activity play. Being tired should help displace some of the nervous energy.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 07:31 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

She might just be settling in and it's a phase that will pass. There's a difference between new dogs nervous about being left alone and dogs who truly have separation anxiety. So I wouldn't look to medicate or anything right now.

The suggestion above about "leaving" and coming right back is a good one. Doing sessions like that every day will get her used to people leaving. Don't just keep increasing the amount of time, either, occasionally come right back in, etc.

This is a rather expensive suggestion (unless you get lucky on craigslist or something) but a large outdoor dog kennel would keep her contained. There's no way she could chew out of that! If you know of someone with an old one they aren't using, they might give it to you.

I agree with not locking her in the crate right now. If she's that anxious, she might injure herself. I fostered a spaniel/retriever mix with HORRIBLE SA (much worse than this situation) and he would manage to break through the crate, urinate all over himself, crash into things, etc.

At this stage she's probably just feeling anxious because she doesn't know if you're going to come back. It's a common phase for rescue dogs (and even new puppies) and many grow out of it . Just hang in there and give her lots to do when you're gone--Kongs, bones (only ones she can't break pieces off of unless you're around), puzzle toys like the Tug-a-Jug, etc. Make sure she's getting plenty of exercise (a quick walk around the block or some outside playtime isn't enough for most dogs--you want her to really move and be exhausted).

I had suggested in another thread to give her meals in her crate and I'd definitely still recommend that . That will help her warm up to the crate faster.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Thanks you all!

We had to leave her in the crate while we took the kids trick or treating so we got her a hambone. She was only in there for 2 hours and while she didn't chew it much and she irritated her gums on the bars she otherwise did really well.

I am going to do the in and out thing, thank you! And tomorrow night the kids and I will be gone but dh will be home. He's going to "leave" with us and then sneak back in and hang out in the basement that way he can hear her if she freaks.

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 04:14 PM
Betta Bomb

I was told by a trainer to ignore completly. If your husband was lurking in the basement and only came up when she freaked out it might teach her that someone will be around for her when she gets anxious.
Unfortunately my dog might be too far gone into serious over the top anxiety so I can only suggest what others above have. While kongs and chewbones have not helped me they might work wonders for you.
I disagree totally with leaving a dog outside while your not home. You never know wat kind of place you live in until it is too late. If she barks incessantly then she might irritate neighbors and if you are not home then irate neighbors could take things into their own hands, I have seen in the news this happeneing. Also, without supervision, those tether cords could easily become her fate.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Part of the Pack

Something else you can try depending on what equipment you have at home. Use a webcam to record video of her while you step out of the house.

I was curious to what Noah was doing during the day alone in the backyard. I opened an account with Ustream. Turns out he likes to sleep and watch birds take his food.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 11:16 AM
Adolescent Pup

Lets hope it continu too work!

Tags
anxiety, chewing, medicine, seperation