Shampoo Question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Shampoo Question

Ok, I have discovered I am allergic to my dog's shampoo.

My shampoo is being used on him right now cause I am worried that I'm going to be allergic to others and don't wanna make my problem worse at the moment.

I don't mind him being washed in mine but I want something that helps fight against the flee's. Hubby is wondering if the flee stuff is what I'm allergic to. I have been told that dish soap like dawn or ivory helps with the flee's. Has anyone else heard this? I've been told ivory is the better to use. Does anyone wash their dogs with dish soap? I have no clue if this could hurt him in anyway.

I'm at a lost of what to use. I'm hoping to find something that helps fight flee's that I'm not allergic too.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 08:44 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I have used Dawn a few times but it seemed to dry out my large dog's skin, I wash him with baby shampoo and use the flee meds...its the only way for us

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 09:03 PM

I highly recommend Buddy Wash shampoos and conditioners. Buddy Wash has a flea shampoo that I use on my dogs in the summer. It is all natural and hypoallergenic and leaves your dogs smelling wonderful. I use the lavendar and chammomile conditioner on them as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 10:28 PM

I'd not advise to use dishsoap. It definately drys the skin and makes them itchy.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 10:44 PM
RAT ADDICT

I also say no to dish soap,it probably will dry out your dog's skin or cause irritation.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 11:30 PM
Leo

I wouldn't use dish soap or human shampoo on a dog ... it isn't PH balanced for their skin (and could cause allergies or other skin problems).... do you have to use flea shampoo?? If he doesn't have fleas and is on a flea preventative you shouldn't have to use flea shampoo also... I know I had problems when I used flea shampoo, I got all itchy & broke out in hives, Now I use an Oatmeal shampoo for dogs, and I don't have any problems.

If you have to use flea shampoo could you have your hubby give him the baths instead of you?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo
I wouldn't use dish soap or human shampoo on a dog ... it isn't PH balanced for their skin (and could cause allergies or other skin problems).... do you have to use flea shampoo?? If he doesn't have fleas and is on a flea preventative you shouldn't have to use flea shampoo also... I know I had problems when I used flea shampoo, I got all itchy & broke out in hives, Now I use an Oatmeal shampoo for dogs, and I don't have any problems.

If you have to use flea shampoo could you have your hubby give him the baths instead of you?
I agree with Ally (Leo) and would like to add - you may want to call your Vet. If your furbaby is not on a once a month flea preventative, you may want to start one to alleviate the need for a flea shampoo. EL gets a Frontline treatment every month & it works great. (we have lots of sand fleas down here on the coast).

Elvis Lee has environmental allergies so now we use Vet prescribed Malaseb shampoo & Resicort leave in conditioner. We used to use Hartz groomers best puppy shampoo which was very mild & we had no problems with it.

I hope your allergic reaction is feeling better.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

I'll look into these ideas when we go buy him some new shampoo.

People here has been telling me about the oakmeal shampoo.

Hubby could wash him but its him rolling on our bed and stuff. Then he sleeps with me under the covers and lays against my legs. So I still get it on me.

I'm going to see what the new groomer uses and if this doesn't break me out I'll get some for home.

Tags
elvis lee