Shar Pei Chow mix - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Question Shar Pei Chow mix

I want to know what anyone elses opinion is on having a Shar pei chow mix puppy who is 3-4 weeks old with a kid. I have a 5 yr old girl who will think nothing of basically body slamming the 2 puppy's we have now. Husky and Shepherd mix. They won't do anything to her minus put her hand in their mouths or sometimes tell her who is boss by pushing her away. She lays all over them and them on her. Will this shar pei pup be a bad mix with her. My mom has told me before she don't trust a chow but they looked full Shar pei to me. Just curious before I get one. As to what anyone elses opinion was.

My Zoo:

Centa my bearded Dragon

Zoey and Blaze my minature dachshund's

Rainbow my Beta fish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 04:24 AM
Formerly Known as Roz

3-4 weeks old is a bit too young to be taking it away from it's mother, 5 year old kid or not. Or did you mean that it's 3-4 weeks old now and that you want to get it later, when older?

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I want to get the dog when its ready it might be older its eatting food on its own. So maybe 4-6 weeks. I don't want a dog that in any way will turn and be aggressive . My daughter got bit by my old dog and we had her put down because she became aggressive after my father died. That dog bit everyone it could bite. And caused medical bills for everyone in my my mom's dog included. The pup is able to be away from its mom. Im just curious what everyone thinks of the breeds and with the fact my daughter is very active and does play rough. its supervised and everyone is stopped when i think its out of line. But i really choose for her to have a dog that won't bite her.

My Zoo:

Centa my bearded Dragon

Rainbow my Beta fish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 08:23 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I have always heard that chow's are a "one" person dog and can be very protective, I've never heard of them being out right aggressive but I have heard that they can be extremely protective. We have a lab/chow mix and well Scooby is Scooby, he doesn't have a mean bone in his body, and will all respect for the love my dog he rides the short bus sorry but that is the only way I could explain his personality best.
I don't know much about Shar Pei's so as for the mix I don't know what to tell you, I'm sure somebody on here will have the right advice for you concerning this. Your concerns for your daughter are just as they should be so I'm hoping you'll find the answers your looking for here soon....Good Luck, sorry I couldn't be of more assitance to you

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 10:48 AM
Adolescent Pup

I used to own an akita/chow mix, and she never bit anyone. She was a sweet dog, although sometimes she got a little over-excited and jumped on everyone... I've never had any bad dealings with chows before, and I often hear good things about chows with kids. If they come from good stock and you train it right I don't think you'll have any big problems... Start from the beginning teaching the dog "good doggy manners" and you should be just fine. Just remember to have pateince, some dogs with chinese heritage can be pretty subborn.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 11:03 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
I want to get the dog when its ready it might be older its eatting food on its own. So maybe 4-6 weeks. I don't want a dog that in any way will turn and be aggressive .

From what I have learned, while dogs my be "weaned" at that age, they learn most of their manners from 6-8 weeks. If you take them from their parents before they have had a chance to learn all they can about "how to behave" from their mothers, you tend to end up with a more difficult to train puppy. If you want to help make sure that the puppy is good with your child. Let it grow up with it litter mates and go through the trails of being "put in his place" and learning how hard to bite, what is acceptable puppy behavior, and just general socializtion. I would never take a puppy younger then 8 weeks, and prefer 12. They are much more stable (I have found) and pleasent to be around.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 11:33 AM
Newborn Pup

Hmm.. I used to have a GR/Chow mix, she was the BEST dog ever. She didn't like boys though, because the neighborhood boys used to tease her all the time. She was my best buddy (RIP). BUt I know that both Chow, and Shar Pei's are protection breeds. I would research both chows and Sharpei's before getting the puppy. It always helps to know a little bit about the breeds of your dog.

*-Sarah-*

**UPDATE** Newest addition: Ike! 2 1/2 year old Siberian Husky!

2 Cats - Marbles & Cindy; 1 Kitten - Tags
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 11:36 AM
Adolescent Pup

Exclamation My Lab/Chow Mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyWife97
We have a lab/chow mix and well Scooby is Scooby, he doesn't have a mean bone in his body, and will all respect for the love my dog he rides the short bus
hello!
i'll be honest, i'm no dog expert (unless we're speaking of pugs), but we did own a chow mix at one time and there are several on the block where i live. our chow was a lab/chow mix and was, as navywife said, one of those dogs who rode the short bus. we adopted her for her lab mix and energetic spirit, but she was one of the dumbest dogs that we've have ever had. we had to place her outside of our home because she kept biting my then 4 and 2 year old when they would get rough with her, lay on her, or refuse to give her their toys. these were very agressive bites leaving bruises and two seconds later she would carry on as if nothing had happened. we worked with her, hiring a special dog trainer, but she just wasn't trainable and when she went for my son's face i decided that we just couldn't pursue her any further. she just wasn't a "kid dog".

i'm not saying that all chows are this way, but mine was. my neighbors that own chows do not have kids around their chows and acknowledge that their chows are not kid dogs. in fact, if you check the breed profiles for chows they are not recommemded for kids. i would do a little more research before jumping into this dog. the best way to tell if the dog is chow is to check it's tongue for purple spots. all chows are known to have these spots (sometimes the whole tongue looks purple) so this will help you define the breed. also, chows are master excape artists who love to free roam. the three chows on our block are always escaping and it's funny to watch my neighbors drive after the chows trying to get it to jump in the car. they rarely jump in withing the first hour of chasing!

good luck to you!
amber
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 11:46 AM
Adolescent Pup

Chow Chow Breed Profile

here's the breed profile on the chow chow:

Quote:
The Chow Chow Dog Breed

Description: The Chow Chow is usually an independent and loyal dog breed who makes an excellent guard dog. The Chow Chow has a thick and double coat, which makes him suitable for cold weather. This dog breed's most distinctive features are its almost straight hind legs and its bluish-black tongue.

Country of Origin: The Chow Chow originated in China.

Height: Chow Chows range from 18 inches to 22 inches.

Weight: Chow Chows range from 45 to 75 pounds.

Colors: Chow Chows are typically black, sandy, blue, fawn, cream or white.

Coat: Chow Chows have either a rough or smooth coat. The rough coat has a longer and coarser outer coat, while the smooth coat has a shorter and sleeker outer coat. Both coats have a dense and wooly undercoat. Regular grooming is required. Extra brushing is needed during shedding season.

Temperament: The Chow Chow is an intelligent, independent and protective dog breed who tends to be loyal only to a few people. The Chow Chow can be unfriendly to people and very dog-aggressive. The owner of a Chow Chow should be confident and patient since the Chow Chow could be aggressive at times and resistant to training.

Health Concerns: The Chow Chow is susceptible to entropion, skin disorders and hip dysplasia

Life Expectancy: The expected life span of the of the Chow Chow is 8-12 years.

Living Environment: Chow Chows need daily exercise and attention. A house with a fenced yard is essential for this dog breed.

AKC Group: The Chow Chow is in the Non-Sporting group.
i LOVE chow chows, and i think they're really neat dogs, but i would think twice about getting one for your kids.

amber
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 11:51 AM
Adolescent Pup

Shar-Pei Breed Profile

here's the shar-pei breed profile:

Quote:
The Chinese Shar-Pei Dog Breed

Description: The Chinese Shar-Pei has a medium-sized muscular build. Its signature wrinkles on both its face and body enable it to twist away when grabbed by another dog in a fight. This dog breed was once used as a fighting dog, but now is considered a dog that is friendly and good natured despite its scowling expression.

Country of Origin: The Chinese Shar-Pei originated in China

Height: Chinese Shar-Peis range from 18 inches to 20 inches.

Weight: Chinese Shar-Peis range from 35 to 45 pounds.

Colors: Chinese Shar-Peis are typically black, red, chocolate, cream or fawn.

Coat: Chinese Shar-Peis have straight and harsh coats. Coat lengths can range from being extremely short to one inch in length. Regular brushing is required.

Temperament: The Chinese Shar-Pei is a dominant and independent dog breed who is loyal to its owner. Suspicious of strangers, the Chinese Shar-Pei makes a good watch dog.

Health Concerns: The Chinese Shar-Pei is susceptible to skin and eyelid problems.

Life Expectancy: The expected life span of the Chinese Shar-Pei is 8-10 years.

Living Environment: Chinese Shar-Peis need frequent exercise. A fenced yard and plenty of stimulation is essential for this independent and affectionate dog breed.

AKC Group: The Chinese Shar-Pei is in the Non-Sporting group.
it's a little more promising, but i don't know a whole lot about the breed so i can't say much. anyone out there know about shar-pei's?

amber
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 12:10 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

Well, I have to agree with Lixx. I would not bring in a puppy younger than 8 weeks ever. They need that socialization.

I've had chow mixes before and never had a problem. As with any breed I believe it has to do with how the dog is bred and raised.

Quote:
I have a 5 yr old girl who will think nothing of basically body slamming the 2 puppy's we have now.
I'm sorry... I have to say I think the 5 year old needs to learn how to treat a dog before i'd bring another into my house. Sorry.. JMHO

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 02:18 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

I agree with Chrisanne and Lixx...a child that is going to be around any dog needs to respect it.
Now, Chows...I had a Chow growing up and although I loved her with all my heart, I couldn't allow her around my children even when they were babies and couldn't do anything to her. Chows have tunnel vision and are prone to biting due to the lack of peripheral vision. They spook easily and quite often the response is to bite/nip before looking. Not the dog's fault as it's an instinctive response.
Sharpei's...I've never owned one but dated the son of a breeder in high school. It was advised to me that they are a lot like Chows in the protection department and have a lot of medical problems.
Now, I also had a Chow/Sharpei/Lab mix who was wonderful with the kids as babies...when they were on the floor, he never once stepped on them accidently or otherwise and he LOVED his Babies. But, I didn't even get ZAZU until he was 12 weeks old. I think taking a puppy from his mother too soon is a big risk to take. They do much better if taken at at the very earliest 8 weeks but I prefer 12.
It all depends on the puppy, but in all honesty, a child that throws herself on any animal shouldn't be around animals. All it will take is one wrong move and no matter what breed you have, you'll have a problem. I suggest waiting until the child is much older and more respectful of animals before getting another one

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I understand all that but she does it playing not hurting them. I never owned a husky or shepherd either and these two are great with her. The puppy that my neighbor has is the litter mate to the one im thinking of. Right now though it seems that he is starting to get a prolapsed rectum ? should i worry for health problems. The parents have a good temperment and are good with the owners 2 children. My daughter does understand about treating dogs with respect.

My Zoo:

Centa my bearded Dragon

Rainbow my Beta fish
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 11:34 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Typical Sharpeis have LOTS of health problems...Hip dysplasia, eye problems usually needing surgery to correct, skin irritations and rashes, nasal and sinus problems usually needing surgery...the list goes on...depending on how much Sharpei is in him, I wouldn't get him unless you can afford that kind of money

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 04:53 PM
Adolescent Pup

i'm not trying to be rude, so hopefully you will see my genuine concern rather than sharp words when reading my response. There are several replies informing you that this breed is not suitable to be around children. i am a mother of two boys (ages 2 and 5) and i have had first hand experiences with children who like to play roughly with animals. i understand that your daughter is just playing when she is rough, as my boys can be rough at times also. it just the age of the child. however, knowing that your daughter can be rough with animals and reading that this breed can be resistant to training and agressive at times, don't you think that you're playing with fire by considering an animal who has a very high chance of not responding well to your child? i can see that you are arguing for the gentilness of this dog, but you have to remember that all puppies are sweet and temperment doesn't always show at birth. i just hope that you will read through the responses one final time before making a mistake that could not only put your daughter in an unsafe position, but also put this dog in a position of punishment for just being typical of it's breed.

Tags
chow mix, fish tank, hind legs, hip dysplasia, lab mix, litter mates, shepherd mix